• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Science Minister's Belief in Evolution

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
I put this in intp central but I'm also curious what people think here.

----

A bit of a news hotspot in Canada right now centers around the remarks of a Science Minister who initially refused to answer a question regarding his belief in evolution, on the grounds that he was a Christian and questions on religion in appropriate. When pressed by a different media source, he offered

"Well, of course, I do, but it's an irrelevant question … We are evolving every year, every decade."

He went on a bit, about choosing the proper shoes and such.

Link to article, though there are a few:
Scientists still wary after science minister confirms belief in evolution

At a glance this seems to me to be a rather feeble verbal deflection. Any gradeschooler knows that evolution in this context does not mean year to year and his response pointedly avoided addressing his opinions on a long-term view. Question becomes, is it appropriate for religious beliefs to affect our judgement on his ability to do his job?

I do not expect the government to address this directly, if at all. Religion is a core freedom per the charter and the minister has not pressed a religious agenda that would speak to conflicting values. They have no solid basis to dismiss him. On the other hand it makes a number of people rather nervous about bias.

What do you think?

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I do not expect the government to address this directly, if at all. Religion is a core freedom per the charter and the minister has not pressed a religious agenda that would speak to conflicting values. They have no solid basis to dismiss him. On the other hand it makes a number of people rather nervous about bias.

What do you think?

I think he could of put his views aside, but didn't... And so, I do have an issue with it. Seeing the interviews makes me highly suspicious that it has a much greater influence - and that he himself is aware of it. *shrug* It's still subjective - his actions and words support it, however.

It's important to note that the major problem is that he left his beliefs decide. And it's not really in tune with Canadians, AFAIK. The majority support the long view of evolution, despite their religion (Reid survey - much hate for the "pick one, the other, or both"). It's not stellar relative to the rest of the world, but I think it is slightly above average (IIRC).

(Just to put it in context - the battles here are not the same as in the US. This is about cuts to specific programs that deal with genetics and the like.)