• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Designer Babies

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't think that I would feel very good about it seeing where pure bred dogs ended up.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
are we talking cockers here?

R

Riva

Designer baby row over US clinic

Parents can select hair and eye colour

A US clinic has sparked controversy by offering would-be parents the chance to select traits like the eye and hair colour of their offspring.

The LA Fertility Institutes run by Dr Jeff Steinberg, a pioneer of IVF in the 1970s, expects a trait-selected baby to be born next year.

His clinic also offers sex selection. (BBC article at link)

and so the race of superhumans begins...

Us mongrels better watch out.

OMG i think i am one of them..........

wait let me ask my parents..

yep they reluctantly told me the truth.

heart

heart on fire
It's not feasible at the present time, so I guess it's the official word :D

Hopefully there isn't any human research going on out there, but given the state of the majority of the population, I see it as entirely possible.

I never take anything for granted. :devil:

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
finding new and novel ways of objectifying people! hooray! the future is bright, i'm on board.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
finding new and novel ways of objectifying people! hooray! the future is bright, i'm on board.

I think the word 'objectifying' assumes too much.
Ur biased to the core kiddo :whistling:

Let's not fall into the cartesian dualism bullshit

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
That's pretty sad, people just need to go with what they get and like it, because hair and eye color is such a secondary thing to your child that it should matter that much. It's pretty pathetic what this world is coming to. I can also see why many people would like this, so if it makes them happy, fine. I am just not in support of it, you just need to go with the flow.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
My husband has great steel grey eyes. I have brown. We ended up with 1 hazel and 3 brown. I just have to tell myself that they all got his blue eye gene. I would never "designer" them though. They have the combo of genes of the healthiest sperm, why would I mess with that?

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
They have the combo of genes of the healthiest sperm, why would I mess with that?

That's a good argument against doing it. I'd still screen for genetic diseases, but would have to investigate this issue to see what kind of impact it could have.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'd screen for genetic disease. This is a difficult topic because even the smallest and most innocuous sounding opinion - 'I want my baby to have his Daddy's blue eyes yay!' - has all sorts of implications in an area of research that is basically an ethical minefield. I'm uneasy with cosmetic tampering, but I don't know if I'm uneasy enough to support making it illegal. When we get into areas like intelligence and athletic ability, though, and assuming we will one day have the means to tamper with these things (if we don't already) - that just opens up a big ol' giant can of differently flavoured worms. Actually so does the cosmetic stuff, just less directly. It goes right to the heart of questions about humanity and the 'worth' of the individual.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Parents in hot climates aren't going to be so tickled about choosing the obvious blonde/blue eyes option when their kid has a sunburn every day until he's 10 and skin cancer by 15.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Parents in hot climates aren't going to be so tickled about choosing the obvious blonde/blue eyes option when their kid has a sunburn every day until he's 10 and skin cancer by 15.

That shouldn't really happen - the genes for hair and eyes are relatively independent within the sample taken. That is, they won't be selecting fair skin which would be more susceptible. All this will do is pick from the children that have the two (sets of) regressive genes present.

Still more likely to be fair skinned, and susceptible, but the kid would be equally so if they weren't picking out hair and eye color.

freedom geek

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
I'm pro-designer babies. None of us have been able to choose our genes and having someone who presumably cares about you do it is better than leaving it to nature. Anyway its the beginning of the path to the type of radical human augmentation I'm a fan of.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Designer baby row over US clinic

Parents can select hair and eye colour

A US clinic has sparked controversy by offering would-be parents the chance to select traits like the eye and hair colour of their offspring.

The LA Fertility Institutes run by Dr Jeff Steinberg, a pioneer of IVF in the 1970s, expects a trait-selected baby to be born next year.

His clinic also offers sex selection. (BBC article at link)

This could become an interesting fashion trend. Since some will do it and some won't, it will be interesting to see how it affects society, and what kind of beliefs crop up around the ones that came into being this way. How these people are treated will be a good measure of how far (or how little) we've come as people.

There are definitely risks, but I'm so curious to see what happens... I don't like just leaving well enough alone when there's potential to see the effects of something more.