• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is there a noncyclic group of order 39?

Bufo

MBTI Type
onto
Enneagram
5w4
The answer is no. But I'm supposed to solve this using basics of isomorphism (without any application of Sylow's theorem).

Suppose such a group exists. Then of course it's non-Abelian.

I know there are cyclic subgroups of order 3 or 13 (actually both, because possibly I'm allowed to use this particular implication of Sylow's theorem).

ygolo

My termites win
If you're allowed to use that little tid-bit (seems redundant since LaGrange's theorem will give you that it will have one such cyclic supgroup if the whole group itself is not cyclic), then you are essentially done, because Z_3xZ_13 is isomorphic to Z_39. <(1,1)> generates the whole group.

You still have to prove that since every group of order 39 has sub-groups of order 3 and of order 13, that it has to be isomorphic to Z_3xZ_13.

It's been a while since I took group theory, but I think you can go about it by proving one or the other fo the supgroup of 3 or 13 is Normal in your original group. Then the factor group must be cyclic (again using LaGanges Theorem).

That's just the sketch of a proof that popped into my head. But like I said, it has been a long time since my Math degree.