• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Quantum Leap: Information Teleported between Ions at a Distance

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
When you expose electrons to a field or force it to polarize, that's how you can induce a change in spin. Unfortunately, entanglement can decay at any time, making a calculation or data storage die at point during the action. So until we can get around that, it won't really be feasible. We are still ages away from this.

Yes... you expose electrons to a field and the spin will change.... but how do you expose SPECIFIC electrons to a field to encode the data? Even if you can, you need a way of ordering/numbering those electrons. There can be no data storage if spin is "random". Of course, the decay is another issue.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I think you misunderstand what Quantum entanglement entails. This effect does occur instantaneously regardless of distance. It violates locality.

But not causality. It doesn't mean you can transfer information faster than c. Look at the whole system and you'll find what you need to send a message can not be contained in the instantaneous change. ie. if you sent a message and received a response from mars, it couldn't be any faster than the round trip time for a light signal.

The same applies for the faster than light experiments. It isn't a problem to have things that are faster than light speed, just to transmit information faster. People get confused about that limit a lot.

Some quotes from Wikipedia for you (so you trust me :))

"Einstein's theory of relativity together with the principle of causality requires that no matter or information can travel faster than the speed of light. Speeds faster than that of light are encountered in physics but, in all such cases, no matter or information is transmitted faster than c."

"In quantum mechanics, certain quantum effects may be transmitted at speeds greater than c. For example, the quantum states of two particles can be entangled. Until the particles are observed, they exist in a superposition of two quantum states. If the particles are separated and one of them is observed to determine its quantum state then the quantum state of the second particle is determined automatically and faster than a light signal could travel between the two particles. However, it is impossible to control which quantum state the first particle will take on when it is observed, so no information can be transmitted in this manner."

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
But not causality. It doesn't mean you can transfer information faster than c. Look at the whole system and you'll find what you need to send a message can not be contained in the instantaneous change. ie. if you sent a message and received a response from mars, it couldn't be any faster than the round trip time for a light signal.

The same applies for the faster than light experiments. It isn't a problem to have things that are faster than light speed, just to transmit information faster. People get confused about that limit a lot.

Some quotes from Wikipedia for you (so you trust me :))

"Einstein's theory of relativity together with the principle of causality requires that no matter or information can travel faster than the speed of light. Speeds faster than that of light are encountered in physics but, in all such cases, no matter or information is transmitted faster than c."

"In quantum mechanics, certain quantum effects may be transmitted at speeds greater than c. For example, the quantum states of two particles can be entangled. Until the particles are observed, they exist in a superposition of two quantum states. If the particles are separated and one of them is observed to determine its quantum state then the quantum state of the second particle is determined automatically and faster than a light signal could travel between the two particles. However, it is impossible to control which quantum state the first particle will take on when it is observed, so no information can be transmitted in this manner."

Oh, I see what you're saying now. Earlier, I had read your quote about information not traveling faster than C, and thought you had meant that the effect didn't travel that fast.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Oh, I see what you're saying now. Earlier, I had read your quote about information not traveling faster than C, and thought you had meant that the effect didn't travel that fast.

I don't think you had suggested it, but one of the other posters did earlier so thought I'd clear it up.