• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Scientists create what is essentially RNA

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Interesting. I understand the importance of this as a stepping stone but are there any actual practical applications with what they did?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Interesting. I understand the importance of this as a stepping stone but are there any actual practical applications with what they did?

No, purely speculations as a possible mechanism for formation of life on earth. It could be that life was, instead, seeded from aliens. :devil:

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
That's pretty amazing! I think it would be fascinating if they were able to create conditions and manipulate life forms into evolving into what they wanted them to, although I guess they would have already been doing that if it were practical.

MBTI Type
INxJ
The experiment began with pre-made molecules. With that as a starting point, it's ability to replicate isn't far from fruition. Currently, Earth possesses all the elements necessary for the creation of life. Using the post creation of life materials, that are already formed in a way that's conducive to the process and claiming it's similar to the original RNA with it's unknowable circumstances, is speculation at best. It's unlikely this method will ever prove how life came to be. This is basically a working model for a theory.

Nevertheless, it has great potential to advance other fields like genetics.

ygolo

My termites win
What about molecule-level manufacturing (not life per-say)?

Can the engineered RNA be used for that?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
What about molecule-level manufacturing (not life per-say)?

Can the engineered RNA be used for that?

It's from my understanding that people can already synthesize strands of RNA/DNA of specific sequences from bases 10/20 years ago. You can have this done commercially for like 50cents a base pair? =/

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
It's from my understanding that people can already synthesize strands of RNA/DNA of specific sequences from bases 10/20 years ago. You can have this done commercially for like 50cents a base pair? =/

Right, but this isn't "RNA" per se. It's basically a set of enzymes they created that continue to manufacture each other as long as there are available building blocks, and some of them "evolve" which is usually attributed to living systems, yet these molecules aren't classified as being "alive."

ygolo

My termites win

I'm not talking about self-replication.

Can we design RNA-like things to create say...plastic-products (for instance), with molecule level accuracy?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Right, but this isn't "RNA" per se. It's basically a set of enzymes they created that continue to manufacture each other as long as there are available building blocks, and some of them "evolve" which is usually attributed to living systems, yet these molecules aren't classified as being "alive."
Was referring to ygolo's spin-off question. You're right about the evolution aspect of this study.

I'm not talking about self-replication.

Can we design RNA-like things to create say...plastic-products (for instance), with molecule level accuracy?
Didn't they tried doing that on silicon chips or something? I seem to recall this single molecule thick thingie that lights up... can't recall the details though. :doh: But yes, there's plenty of work on nanotech...

sade

Interesting. I'm wondering about the future applications. If they get RNA formation into a more easily/cost-effective accessible form, or hmm..

Didn't they tried doing that on silicon chips or something? I seem to recall this single molecule thick thingie that lights up... can't recall the details though. :doh: But yes, there's plenty of work on nanotech...
Yes, not that I remember the details. :blush: