• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Windows 7 Public Beta

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Question, have you tried it?

I'm curious as my desktop has just crashed, refuses to cooperate and apparently the Windows CD is damaged (damaged my arse!!!) so I was considering giving this a go but if it's not capable of running things like games then I'd guess it'd be off there as soon as I got it loaded.

I should state that the machine is quite capable of the specs it mentions and I'm usually okay at techie stuff.. though after having two machines go down this weekend I'm beginning to think I should just not bother and stick to games consoles and the like... :steam:

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
I have. Got it from rapidshare land though. I think it's a pretty big improvement on Vista, even in this Beta state...and I think we'll be seeing it sometime BEFORE christmas.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes I have tried it.

It does run smoother than Vista I think, I don't have any crazy time trials or anything just a feeling I get. Just seems to run smoother in opening folders, applications, etc, but it wasn't like Vista was pull your hair out slow, it was fine.

I have already deleted the partition Windows 7 was on, so..

But yeah I don't really see it as a big improvement (although I admit I didn't mess with many of the "new" features).

I like Vista, of course my Vista is heavily modified. I removed UAC, defender, all the pop up security shit. I mean Vista boots up in under two minutes for me so yeah. After my modifying Vista it's basically just like a sexy XP to me, it feels the same.

Oh and I have a dock, like OS X, for Vista also, so I don't see what's so cool about the new taskbar in Windows 7. It's called rocketdock if you guys are interested. RocketDock - About RocketDock

Anyway about the techie stuff. I was just saying that to make sure people don't waste their time downloading like 4 gigs (or however large it is) to find out it's a .iso and they can't run it like an .exe.

It comes on an .iso file, if you don't know what an .iso is then I would suggest that you do not download it and try to install it.

You basically have to burn the .iso onto a disc with software like daemon tools or alcohol %120, etc. Then make a partition to install Windows 7 on, reboot, change the booting order, and then install it. Not many people know how to do that or so I would assume.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Oh yes, I would assume it would run any game just fine, and any patches would probably work fine also...
I wouldn't though, because of course it is a beta. If you don't register it online then you would have to find some sort of fix before the 30 day trail is over, and I'm too lazy to find that when my Vista is way more comfortable for me.

And I would have to find a fix, because I would never register an OS online, I just do too much stuff I don't want authorities seeing, and registering gives me the creeps, I am against it.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Sounds like good news to me.. i like vista (well as much as i can like an m$ app) so improved vista sounds ideal... plus i avoid the whole partition problem by having none working at present :D