• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Teeth chattering

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I'm curious about the origin of this reflex. Do species other than humans exhibit this?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Isn't it just like the trembling of your skin: your muscles trying to compensate for the loss of heat?
Huh...good question about other species. I'll get back to you on that.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I'm wondering how it evolved. Do all humans have this reflex? If so, I would assume other species have it as well. But I've never heard of other species doing this. It's something I would assume evolved in colder climates. So if no other species has this reflex, I would think that not all humans have it.

Someone needs to answer my questions!

T

ThatGirl

Interesting, Ive seen dogs chatter when severly aggrivated.

Its not always a respone to just cold either.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
no that's frustration actually

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not completely sure, but I think it's just a direct result of shivering (ie your neck/jaw muscles) rather than a reflex.

I'm pretty sure most other mammals shiver to generate heat (via the inefficient breakdown of metabolites while generating movement); I'm not sure whether their teeth chatter in the process. I'd be surprised if monkeys didn't get chattering teeth in the cold though.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
My cats chatter when they see a bird and get excited about the possibilities. . .

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Monkeys smile and chatter their teeth when they are frightened.