• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Keyboard problems on laptop

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I accidentally spilled a soda on the arrow keys of my keyboard, and at first nothing happened. But then all of a sudden they started responding madly, so I removed the caps and dried the contacts. Then they stopped working altogether, as did all the other keys on the keyboard. So I restarted my computer, and now all other keys seem to work except for the arrow and enter keys. I have to use CTRL+M whenever I want to press Enter, because the Enter key doesn't work. Backspace is hard to use, but still works. There's also a problem with a key repeating or responding slowly at times after I press it.

Any ideas? I'm good with understanding software, but I really don't get hardware.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I accidentally spilled a soda on the arrow keys of my keyboard, and at first nothing happened. But then all of a sudden they started responding madly, so I removed the caps and dried the contacts. Then they stopped working altogether, as did all the other keys on the keyboard. So I restarted my computer, and now all other keys seem to work except for the arrow and enter keys. I have to use CTRL+M whenever I want to press Enter, because the Enter key doesn't work. Backspace is hard to use, but still works. There's also a problem with a key repeating or responding slowly at times after I press it.

Any ideas? I'm good with understanding software, but I really don't get hardware.

I think the technical term is "shagged". ;)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think the technical term is "shagged". ;)

I don't think that's a technical term, but it probably describes the state of my laptop rather well... good thing I'm not on it right now.

What I've decided to do is hook up a secondary USB keyboard and mouse, since I don't really move it from off the coffee table anyway.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hehe, did this a month or so ago with Rosé, I learnt several valuable lessons including the understanding that laptops don't like sticky liquid stuff.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Other things not to do with electronic equipment:
Don't put your mobile in the washing-machine. No, really. They don't like it.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Idea: Buy a replacement keyboard and install it. I've disassembled many laptops, they just require you to be a bit gentle with them.