• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Has anyone heard of Global Dimming and if so what are your thoughts on it??

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't think there is anything we can do. The world is run by Ss. Most Ss refuse to believe this issue is real. They'll continue to deny it until they're literally roasting. So my plan of action? Maybe I'll start looking for land near the Hudson bay or northern Alaska.

Has anyone staked claim to Antarctica?

Here's something to think about. Carbon dioxide has an atmospheric half life of ~50-100 years. Even if we stopped pumping out greenhouse gases today, we're still stuck with what we've already done for a long, long time. Thankfully, methane's atmospheric half life is only around 12 years.

Antarctica will make for an awesome water park,lol- I call Shotgun. I don't think S's should get all the blame though- NF's tend to try to solve problems by making and listening to music, Woodstock anyone,lol, and that isn't productive either,lol. I say this as an NF myself,lol. What we need is a rich NT bent on world transformation for the greater good,lol. THE GREATER GOOD- Hot Fuzz= awesome movie. We need a guy like Angel to get on top of that CO2 problem,lol.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Antarctica will make for an awesome water park,lol- I call Shotgun. I don't think S's should get all the blame though- NF's tend to try to solve problems by making and listening to music, Woodstock anyone,lol, and that isn't productive either,lol. I say this as an NF myself,lol. What we need is a rich NT bent on world transformation for the greater good,lol. THE GREATER GOOD- Hot Fuzz= awesome movie. We need a guy like Angel to get on top of that CO2 problem,lol.
march-of-the-penguins-10.jpg

Blaming Ss makes me feel better. If we're destroying the environment, at least let me have my bitterness! :steam: ;)

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
march-of-the-penguins-10.jpg

Blaming Ss makes me feel better. If we're destroying the environment, at least let me have my bitterness! :steam: ;)

LOLOLOL. Okay, you may have your bitterness. :) You know- Penguins might just learn how to fly as a result in all of this- They'll probably fly into space and say Thanks For All The Fish,lol.

sundowning

MBTI Type
ISTP
Minor nitpick, but the escape speed for hydrogen does actually outmatch the Earth's.

A unique feature of the Earth is plate tectonics whereby the amount of CO2 released by outgassing is more or less equal that which removed by weathering and deposition. Where Venus is concerned, no such tectonics exist, which might partly explain one aspect of how the two atmospheres differ.

I read an article stating that the high ratio of deuterium to hydrogen suggests that Venus lost oceans worth of water early on after its formation. How? They claim evaporation and photolysis, but I don't fully understand the process myself. There was speculation that had the oceans stuck around, they might have influenced the kind of tectonics we see happening very early on the Earth, which could have led to a very different Venus. But we all know how the story eventually turned out. :)

Sona

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTJ
That BBC program certainly paints a pretty bad picture, especially when they start talking about the release of methane hydrate. Is that really a possibility?

A few days ago, I remember looking outside and I was just amazed at how the sky looked so deep blue. Usually, the color isn't as deep as it was that day. I wonder if that just weather patterns pushing pollution away for a day.

Its such bullshit, pseudoscience. Tests were carried out on the methane deposits, it was found that it was unlikely that global warming could start a irreversible, chain reaction as suggested by the supporters of the global warming theory.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
The BBC Horizon program had some good evidence on this - studies showed that in the days following Sep 11, the grounded jets led to a marked decrease in cloud cover over, for example, California, and a correspondingly sudden increase in warming/temperature. it seemed quite marked in the statistics (although I do know that it is difficult to find anyone objective about such things).

It just shows what a hideously complicated system the weather is.. is it better to tamper or not? I don't know. My personal view is that we should stop trying to stop people burning fossil fuels... they'll be gone soon enough. Instead, spend put all that "wasted" money on reducing emissions & cleaner burning fossil fuel engines into a complete change.. into new alternative sources. If we threw massive resources into eg hydrogen cells we could revolutionise the world energy footprint quite quickly. Instead we throw billions at trying to reduce emissions by a couple of percent. it is treating the symptoms (slightly) and not the root cause...

-Geoff

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Its such bullshit, pseudoscience. Tests were carried out on the methane deposits, it was found that it was unlikely that global warming could start a irreversible, chain reaction as suggested by the supporters of the global warming theory.
Do you have any links to this data? I'd like to see it before I write it off as "pseudoscience".

Sona

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Do you have any links to this data? I'd like to see it before I write it off as "pseudoscience".

Yes, I was watching a program on a Pakistani channel, I can't recall the name. It was on about a year a go on ARY. You just have to trust me on this one.

Sona

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTJ
No thanks - I'll stick with the real science that's being written in journals.

LOL! you dismiss something without even looking at the evidence. Clearly, you have a biased agenda.

OK, I'll lay down a challenge for you... Logically prove global warming creates major fluctuation's in global weather and that its man made carbon emission to blame for this....

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
LOL! you dismiss something without even looking at the evidence. Clearly, you have a biased agenda.

OK, I'll lay down a challenge for you... Logically prove global warming creates major fluctuation's in global weather and that its man made carbon emission to blame for this....

Let me just go get a multi-million dollar research grant and I'll get right on it.

Rohsiph

MBTI Type
lego

How important is the part I bolded?

For the nothing it's worth, I want to say I've been amazed at the lack of movement towards new energy sources since I was about 12. I had a lengthy discussion with my father a few weeks ago, and a fair amount was dedicated to current political happenings in the US. It took me quite a while, but I actually got him to see that my disgust with the Iraq war is that the money being spent there--in fact, a fraction of the money being spent there--could lead to so much more benefit if spent, instead, on funding important research, such as developing a new energy source.

Worthless, but . . . eh. :doh:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I say fuck it, move to any mountain range and bring whatever space age agriculture stuff you can get your hands on. I suggest not sticking around Europe though, that situation is going to suck. Honestly, it is obvious this will be argued till the Netherlands and Florida are under water. The hype that we can really prevent this now is a bunch of politicians who don't understand what the scientists are telling them. The time for warming prevention has passed, it's time to start working on loss prevention.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Climate has fluctuated from hot to cold and vice versa since the beginning of time for no reason. I'm still not entirely convinced that global warming exists or that it's because of man-made gases in the atmosphere.

If global warming does exist, I have an alternative theory. Overpopulation. When an area is condensed with people in close proximity, body temperatures are closer together, which can create pockets of heat to be released in the atmosphere. With this theory, it certainly isn't America that should take the bulk of responsibility, but rather China.

Long before the Industrial Revolution, it was still possible to make fires. Fire emits smoke into the atmosphere, which could then tamper with the natural climate, leading to climate changes. So this problem isn't new at all, now is just the first time it's been given a name.

sundowning

MBTI Type
ISTP

I'm not responsible for educating you. How about you buy a book and read about how that very thing has been happening for billions of years?

Trust me kid, you don't know what you're getting into - your dopey aviator glasses can't help you here.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What about the Ice Age? And before that, it was warm. After the Ice Age, it also became warm again. I suppose this happened because of cavemen releasing toxic chemicals into the atmosphere (aside from methane)?