• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

alarm clock app for desktop

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Outlook is too big and complicated.
All I need is a little alarm clock to tell me when it's time to stop for lunch
and when it's almost time to go home.

I downloaded a free little app today - I've got XP -
but when I went to open it, it didn't work.
Anybody know of something that works?

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Do you actually want the clock to "beep" or just a desktop clock to see time better than on this little crappy thingy there in the right bottom corner? o.o

Here are some clocks. Also here. Pick whatever you like best. Or tell me if you need more. =)

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I usually just go into scheduler and set text popups. It's been a while since I last did that though.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Do you actually want the clock to "beep" or just a desktop clock to see time better than on this little crappy thingy there in the right bottom corner? o.o

Here are some clocks. Also here. Pick whatever you like best. Or tell me if you need more. =)
I want one that will hide in my system tray that will play a sound when it's time.
Like an alarm clock.
I was hoping for a personal reference from someone who has one they are happy with.
I did a Google search and found plenty.
I just thought I'd avoid wasting time by asking if someone already has one they like.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I usually just go into scheduler and set text popups. It's been a while since I last did that though.
In Outlook?

Cause to tell you the truth, I'm using 2007 and it's a bear to figure out.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

Thanks for the links.
I saw the one earlier, but I didn't trust it because it's just a collector engine.
I usually don't trust those.
I'm taking a look.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In Outlook?

Cause to tell you the truth, I'm using 2007 and it's a bear to figure out.

Start > Control Panel > Scheduler

You can have it open any file or application on your computer at the time you designate.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Start > Control Panel > Scheduler

You can have it open any file or application on your computer at the time you designate.
Ah great!
So how would I make it play a sound?
and pop up a window?

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ah great!
So how would I make it play a sound?
and pop up a window?

Start the add new scheduled task wizard, browse for the sound file you want, set the time and that's it. Same thing with any other file you want to run.

I wonder... might even be able to create a batch file that does both at the same time and have the scheduler start that off.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've got one called Chameleon Clock, I don't remember if it's free or not :)D). Anyway, you should be able to find it. It hides in system tray, you can put MP3's as your alarm signals etc... And it has lots of options. You can make an alarm "daily" or "every tuesday at 12.03" or whatever you want. You can also input text reminders etc.
Another thing, there is an option that makes the alarm signal play until you shut it off... I find that very useful sometimes. There are also options that makes it shut off when the tune has finished playing, or when it's been played a number of times etc...

Chameleon Clock. Good shit.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Start the add new scheduled task wizard, browse for the sound file you want, set the time and that's it. Same thing with any other file you want to run.

I wonder... might even be able to create a batch file that does both at the same time and have the scheduler start that off.
I want it to pop up a window and play a sound.
How do I get it to pop up a window and play a sound.
For instance, if I choose, Windows Media Player, it would just open WMP.
What would make it play a sound file?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I've got one called Chameleon Clock, I don't remember if it's free or not :)D). Anyway, you should be able to find it. It hides in system tray, you can put MP3's as your alarm signals etc... And it has lots of options. You can make an alarm "daily" or "every tuesday at 12.03" or whatever you want. You can also input text reminders etc.
Another thing, there is an option that makes the alarm signal play until you shut it off... I find that very useful sometimes. There are also options that makes it shut off when the tune has finished playing, or when it's been played a number of times etc...

Chameleon Clock. Good shit.
Thank you for the personal recommendation.
I appreciate that!

I found it.
It's $30.
I might keep looking since it's for work.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is a ridiculous reason to dismiss PC-based alarm clocks, but it's apropos anyway. I had a funny experience with using a PC as an alarm clock when I was younger. I tried using Windows 3.11's built in clock & alarm feature and I was greeted in the morning to a blue screen of death. Decided from that point on I'd never rely on a complicated piece of electronics to wake me up.

That principle hasn't failed me yet. Cellphones work most of the time, but they're prone to flakiness too. I bought an iPod Alarm Clock Radio and decided to banish it to my work cubicle desk for two reasons: one, the alarm was weak, and two, the damned thing would reset the clock to 1:00AM at random whenever I plugged in my iPod.

I use a simple red LED alarm clock with alarm set feature and big wide snooze button, 9V backup battery and AC-powered on the side of my desk at home. Simplicity is beautiful.

For work though, I rely on my cellphone's calendar, which integrates with Outlook when I sync my email on it (it's a Treo 755p smartphone). I figure if I'm missing a meeting due to cellphone flakiness (which hasn't happened more than once or twice, thankfully...) someone else will get in touch with me.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

MiasmaResonance

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that Rainmeter, or something similar, would work for this..