• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Light Computing

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I was playing with the fiber-optic cable for my Xbox and I was struck with an idea.

Processing using light.
Mirrors, LCDs and lasers positioned just right to get the achieve the right logic for processing seems possible.
But maybe there's something in the way I don't know of.

Anyway, if it could be done, parallel processing would be a breeze -- just use two different colors for two streams of data. They won't interfere with one another or lose integrity.
Different filters for each color turned on and off by liquid crystal relays.

Would have no trouble at all keeping it cool.

Seems like since light is goddamn fast, it ought to be unimaginably quicker than electricity.

Well anyway, I wanna know how come this hasn't been at least discussed.

Nillerz

MBTI Type
ENFP
Electricity is just as fast as light, innit?

Problem is if you do it using light you'll need an analog computer first. Analog computers are hella awesome but they require mechanical manipulation of parts. Also, resistors are not possible on a light scale.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think timing would be a major issue.
If the light source is redirected for to different set of logic before the liquid crystal at the end had time to react and let the light through to confirm logic 1 then the results would be all wrong.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Electricity is just as fast as light, innit?
Not even close.

Problem is if you do it using light you'll need an analog computer first.
No, that's not a problem.
Data could be processed faster this way, even though it would ultimately have to be transmitted slower in the end. Still speeds things up.

Analog computers are hella awesome but they require mechanical manipulation of parts. Also, resistors are not possible on a light scale.
Would you need a resistor since it's just light?

dyspraxion

MBTI Type
INtP
Enneagram
4w5
Dust could be a major problem. If a beam of light were blocked, it could screw up the processing, or even alter the commands being used.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Isn't this shit called optoelectronics or something like that? Believe I read about this a long time ago... And no, electric current does not move as fast as light.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Isn't this shit called optoelectronics or something like that? Believe I read about this a long time ago... And no, electric current does not move as fast as light.

Yeh they use wavelength division multiplexing (multiple colours) on optical fibres already and have for a decade or two. Speeds across fibre these days because of it are insane. And there are some pretty cool optoelectronic components around. Optical computers are around as an idea. Probably not taken to the level of the op in any practical sense yet though.

Wavelength-division multiplexing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Photonic integrated circuit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Optical computer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And for Nillerz: yeh, electricity slower than light. Electrons are only that fast in free space.

Drift velocity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Dust could be a major problem. If a beam of light were blocked, it could screw up the processing, or even alter the commands being used.
The first thing that comes to mind of what might work to remedy that would be to have charged rods in various places to collect the airborne menaces and keep them out of the crossfire of the lasers.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeh they use wavelength division multiplexing (multiple colours) on optical fibres already and have for a decade or two. Speeds across fibre these days because of it are insane. And there are some pretty cool optoelectronic components around. Optical computers are around as an idea. Probably not taken to the level of the op in any practical sense yet though.

Wavelength-division multiplexing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Photonic integrated circuit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Optical computer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Apparently I need to work on my keyword generation skills.

And for Nillerz: yeh, electricity slower than light. Electrons are only that fast in free space.
Er...
What?
Is it really free space if there are electrons there?
I've only ever heard that the electrons themselves really only travel at about 8 centimeters per hour.
But because they push other electrons and so down the chain, the energy is transfered way fucking fast.
And still light wins the race.

dyspraxion

MBTI Type
INtP
Enneagram
4w5
The first thing that comes to mind of what might work to remedy that would be to have charged rods in various places to collect the airborne menaces and keep them out of the crossfire of the lasers.

Electric Pledge?

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Apparently I need to work on my keyword generation skills.

Did these things is optical communications. I just went wiki cos I was lazy.

Er...
What?
Is it really free space if there are electrons there?
I've only ever heard that the electrons themselves really only travel at about 8 centimeters per hour.
But because they push other electrons and so down the chain, the energy is transfered way fucking fast.
And still light wins the race.

my bad, was 2am and was tired, and been focussing on semiconductors and currents in them lots recently, so mind was there. hehe, it's funny how you are always more likely to get the first year or high school questions wrong.

So yeh I agree, the electrons move slow but electricity in the sense of information doesn't and that's what counts here. And yep it gets close but light is faster.

Last edited: