User Tag List

123 Last

Default Civilisation and Exo-Planets

Our Space telescopes tell us there are four trillion galaxies, and we estimate there are about one or two civilisations per galaxy.

So it is important to know what these civilisations are like.

We know they will have exactly the same physics, chemistry, biology, and cosmology as we do, and they will have different religions from us.

They will not value what we most value, our religions.

What this means is not only are our religions not universal, but their religions are also not universal.

But we do know the laws of nature are universal across the universe.

Interestingly, many of our religions claim universality, but we now know this is not true. We do know they enchant the followers, and make them feel better.

Armchair Explorer Doctor Anaximander's Avatar
    MBTI
    TiSi
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I think there’s probably far more than one or two per galaxy. But most are probably pre-level 1 Kardashev civilizations like our own.

For instance there are some tens of thousands sun like stars closer to our galactic center (our solar system is a backwater), and a good chunk of them probably have rocky planets orbiting in their habitable zones.

Default The New Barbarism

Interestingly, civilisation and its discontents is based on the phonetic alphabet, on literacy, and the literate individual.

But civilisation and its discontents is coming to an end, under the onslaught of electronic images at the speed of light, and electronic tribes playing identity politics.

We live at a time when our civilisation is coming to an end, replaced by the new barbarism.

I wonder what is happening on exo-planets, have they discovered civilisation, or do they remain barbaric.

To the waters of the wild Siúil a Rún's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    496 sx/sp

This reminds me of the discussion from the book/movie "Cosmos" when they are attempting to choose the right candidate for the alien machine. They hold it against her that she's an atheist, because she doesn't represent humanity in general, but your OP makes an interesting point. I really like this thread topic.
    I wish I was on yonder hill 'tis there I'd sit and cry my fill, And every tear would turn a mill, Iss guh day thoo avorneen slawn.
    I'll sell my rock, I'll sell my reel, I'll sell my only spinning wheel, To buy my love a sword of steel Iss guh day thoo avorneen slawn.
    I wish, I wish, I wish in vain, I wish I had my heart again, And vainly think I'd not complain, Iss guh day thoo avorneen slawn.

What's the alternative to religion then Mole if its all just and exercise in duping people?

CANZUK?

Does CANZUK have a starfleet? Are the colonial fantasies about to go off world?

Armchair Explorer Doctor Anaximander's Avatar
    MBTI
    TiSi
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Although I wonder if most of the civilizations in the universe came and went and we’re a latecomer on the scene. That’s kind of a depressing thought. Or we could be one of the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Anaximander View Post
    Although I wonder if most of the civilizations in the universe came and went and we’re a latecomer on the scene. That’s kind of a depressing thought. Or we could be one of the first.
    Our Space telescopes tell us there are four trillion galaxies, 4, 1000, 1000, 1000, 1000 and each galaxies contains hundreds of billions of stars and eco-planets, 100, 1000, 1000, 1000. So the likelihood of civilisations on eco-planets is high.

And the interesting question is, what can we learn about ourselves from civilisations on eco-planets?

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What's the alternative to religion then Mole if its all just and exercise in duping people?

CANZUK?

Does CANZUK have a starfleet? Are the colonial fantasies about to go off world?
    The alternative to the ten thousand gods of religion, is natural selection.

Natural selection tells us precisely our place in nature, where we have come from, and even hazards a guess where we are going.

Quote Originally Posted by Siúil a Rún View Post
    This reminds me of the discussion from the book/movie "Cosmos" when they are attempting to choose the right candidate for the alien machine. They hold it against her that she's an atheist, because she doesn't represent humanity in general, but your OP makes an interesting point. I really like this thread topic.
    And this thread topic likes you.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Our Space telescopes tell us there are four trillion galaxies, and we estimate there are about one or two civilisations per galaxy.

So it is important to know what these civilisations are like.

We know they will have exactly the same physics, chemistry, biology, and cosmology as we do, and they will have different religions from us.

They will not value what we most value, our religions.

What this means is not only are our religions not universal, but their religions are also not universal.

But we do know the laws of nature are universal across the universe.

Interestingly, many of our religions claim universality, but we now know this is not true. We do know they enchant the followers, and make them feel better.
    What is the basis for assuming the existence of other civilizations like this? Why would we assume anything about their religions? Individual claims of universality aside, there are many common themes that run through our various religions. If there are indeed religions in these exo-planetary civilizations, I would not be surprised to see similar themes there.
    And I can feel I'm breaking free
    For just this moment lost in time,
    I am finally me