User Tag List

First 123

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Anaximander View Post
    Some people in the ancient and medieval world fantasized about new islands and continents across a vast ocean, and while they may not have realized the distance and difficulty in reaching them with the technology available, eventually it became a reality

In the 19th century, Jules Verne’s fantastical writings of reaching the moon seemed impossible, and yet his fantasy became a reality a century later.
    Sure, a watch has a watch maker, so the universe has a universe maker.

The Frontier is part of USA mythology, so it is natural to mythologise exo-planets as the New Frontier.

The USA applies the myth of the Frontier to many things they do, from high tech to going to the Moon.

The actual Frontier lasted only a few years in the West of the USA, so the New Frontier is a religious belief based on myth. We have York and New York, and we have the Frontier and the New Frontier.

And the USA trots out this myth as though it were universal, it makes us blink, and wonder, what do they take us for?

Armchair Explorer Doctor Anaximander's Avatar
    MBTI
    TiSi
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Sure, a watch has a watch maker, so the universe has a universe maker.

The Frontier is part of USA mythology, so it is natural to mythologise exo-planets as the New Frontier.

The USA applies the myth of the Frontier to many things they do, from high tech to going to the Moon.

The actual Frontier lasted only a few years in the West of the USA, so the New Frontier is a religious belief based on myth. We have York and New York, and we have the Frontier and the New Frontier.

And the USA trots out this myth as though it were universal, it makes us blink, and wonder, what do they take us for?
    The UK practically wrote the book on taming frontiers so don’t even try to liken my comments to some jingoistic rhetoric. Total projection, and I’m getting tired of you repeatedly trying to frame posts of mine in such a way

I’m talking about curiosity and the desire to explore the unknown, two traits pretty universal to humans which predate both the USA and the UK by thousands of years.

Permabanned

The UK practically wrote the book on taming frontiers so don’t even try to liken my comments to some jingoistic rhetoric. Total projection, and I’m getting tired of you repeatedly trying to frame posts of mine in such a way

I’m talking about curiosity and the desire to explore the unknown, two traits pretty universal to humans which predate both the USA and the UK by thousands of years.
    You plainly want to have an argument with a complete stranger on the net, so let me accomodate you.

I will undermine you position by agreeing with you: you are completely right, not knowing is more important than knowing. This was discovered in our Medieval Period and documented in, "The Cloud of Unknowing", by Anonymous - even the name of the author is unknown.

We can't know anything new until we first don't know. And we can't receive an epiphany from God unless we don't know.
    Likes Doctor Anaximander liked this post

Armchair Explorer Doctor Anaximander's Avatar
    MBTI
    TiSi
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    You plainly want to have an argument with a complete stranger on the net, so let me accomodate you.

I will undermine you position by agreeing with you: you are completely right, not knowing is more important than knowing. This was discovered in our Medieval Period and documented in, "The Cloud of Unknowing", by Anonymous - even the name of the author is unknown.

We can't know anything new until we first don't know. And we can't receive an epiphany from God unless we don't know.
    That is reminiscent of some taoist and zen lines of thought.

“He who speaks does not know. He who knows does not speak.”

Permabanned

That is reminiscent of some taoist and zen lines of thought.

“He who speaks does not know. He who knows does not speak.”
    As we enter the Cloud of Unknowing, we not only don't know what to speak, we don't know how to speak.

We are precipitated into another world, we experience visceral clutch, and withdrew to the known world.

We learn from our failure, and make another foray into the Cloud of Unknowing.

There are some things we know of exo-planets, and much more we don't know, we know the laws of nature are the same on exo-planets as on Earth, but we know nothing of their psyches and social life.

And interestingly, we have much to learn about our psyches and social life on Earth.

Permabanned

Earth is an exo-planet, so how do we look to other civilisations?

What we have discovered in science, they will have discovered. They will be interested in the ten thousand gods we have created to worship, and they will conclude worship is our special gift.

And looking deeper they will see we worship to transform our psyches, because whatever we worship, we become.

They can see worship is a two edged sword, and it is very important to choose wisely the god we worship. But they note, we we entrance our child, putting their critical mind to sleep and awakening their imaginative mind, so they will worship whatever we tell them. And so our child will be cast in the image and likeness of me.

We create Mini Me with the best intentions in the world, click Austin Powers The Spy Who Shagged Me: Mini-Me - YouTube.

Permabanned

We can see civilization on exo-planets will have discovered the same laws and facts of science as we have, and they will have created their own religions, as we have,

We are just one exo-planet among many, probably billions, and we have much in common as we all live in the same natural world and an invented supernatural world.