• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Synesthesia

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
Does anyone here have it?

Wikipedia article.

I think it's an incredibly fascinating thing. I've figured out that I have 7 forms of it:

(In order of strongest to weakest)

Music - Color (it's like fantasia!)
Personification - Color (everyone has a specific color)
Emotion - Color
Touch - Color
Music Notes - Color
Pain - Color
Sight - Touch (example: looking at a TV... I can feel the TV in its shape, weight, static, etc. But this happens very rarely)

Everyone in my family has various forms of it, but they're not all the same as mine, and vice versa. My Dad has various numerical forms and my Mom and Brother have Grapheme versions.

Anyhow, I think it's incredibly fascinating. Share!

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I sometimes get an amazing light show when I get up really late for work and run to the shower. It happens when I am just under the water and I get to see insane flickers all over the place. It only happened five times under the same circumstances, but I don't think its what your looking for . . .

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
I sometimes get an amazing light show when I get up really late for work and run to the shower. It happens when I am just under the water and I get to see insane flickers all over the place. It only happened five times under the same circumstances, but I don't think its what your looking for . . .

Hm. I'm not sure, but it sounds like it could be! Synesthesia is basically a combination between two senses or perceptions. Do you think that the light show is a cause of the sensation of water?

And my synesthesia is strongest when I'm tired and not distracted by other things. Or even sick. So since you experience yours when you're up late and tired, that's a total possibility.... at least I think so. :)

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I've get Sight - Touch sometimes. It's usually uncomfortable. I get a weird "pressure" feeling and the hardness and density of objects around me fill my mind.

And I get vague colors and tones and almost "static" like objects in my vision sometimes. But I have trouble relating it to anything, like music, emotion, touch....

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
As I understand it, this is really foreign to me. I'm pretty sure I don't do this.

Never heard of that like it except Darrell Hammond referring to people having colors, and thus he could do better impressions of them.

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
As I understand it, this is really foreign to me. I'm pretty sure I don't do this.

Never heard of that like it except Darrell Hammond referring to people having colors, and thus he could do better impressions of them.

Everyone that I meet and at least have a conversation with or observe for a short amount of time form a basic color (blue, red, etc), and when I get to know them better, the color becomes more specific (dusk blue, maroon, etc). And the color rarely changes. My own color is marigold. :)

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Everyone that I meet and at least have a conversation with or observe for a short amount of time form a basic color (blue, red, etc), and when I get to know them better, the color becomes more specific (dusk blue, maroon, etc). And the color rarely changes. My own color is marigold. :)

How intense are these colors? It's not strong enough that it can obstruct your vision, is it?

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
How intense are these colors? It's not strong enough that it can obstruct your vision, is it?

No, this one is more of a feeling that I can pinpoint visually in my mind's eye.

The only instance when I actually see the color is with pain and touch. I'm not sure why...

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Im really glad you posted this. I'm even happier that CC reposted it in a place to allow me to find it easier subconsciously. I had no idea there was a name for what I did, nor that other people did it. No one ever refers to things a bit like I do.. so I figured I was the only one.

Colors have flavors for me, as well as scents and touch.
People have colors and smells to me. Sometimes I equate touch to people.
Emotion = Color
I use sight to touch, smell, hearing, and taste depending on what I'm looking at.
I frequently think of time as locations or something tangible.
Lol it's hard to think of things to say.. since it's so normal for me I suppose.

I do frequently hear people try to correct me though.. "Flavor? .. It's pink flavored?" I hear the same when I refer to scents as flavors.. even though you'd think smell and taste are so close it wouldn't be considered so odd.

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
Im really glad you posted this. I'm even happier that CC reposted it in a place to allow me to find it easier subconsciously. I had no idea there was a name for what I did, nor that other people did it. No one ever refers to things a bit like I do.. so I figured I was the only one.

Colors have flavors for me, as well as scents and touch.
People have colors and smells to me. Sometimes I equate touch to people.
Emotion = Color
I use sight to touch, smell, hearing, and taste depending on what I'm looking at.
I frequently think of time as locations or something tangible.
Lol it's hard to think of things to say.. since it's so normal for me I suppose.

I do frequently hear people try to correct me though.. "Flavor? .. It's pink flavored?" I hear the same when I refer to scents as flavors.. even though you'd think smell and taste are so close it wouldn't be considered so odd.

AWESOME. I wish I had those types... it must make life so much more rich!

The interesting thing about this condition is that people typically don't go to doctors and talk about it because a) it doesn't bother or hinder them from daily tasks and/or b) because they figure everyone has it (until they discover that it's actually not normal.

I never thought anything of it until I read something about an idiot savant seeing math as colors and shapes and being able to move the equations around in his mind according to colors and fitting together in a harmonic way, and it was called synesthesia. I've been obsessed with researching it since!

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Hmmm . . . never thought of the water turning into visual stimulation but wow . . .

They are random bright (like sparks) flying upwards they are really there but I can't touch them :D it was entertaining. Funny thing is that the most rationale explanation would have to be something damaging my brain like hypoxia.

V

violaine

Does anyone here have it?

Wikipedia article.

I think it's an incredibly fascinating thing. I've figured out that I have 7 forms of it:

(In order of strongest to weakest)

Music - Color (it's like fantasia!)
Personification - Color (everyone has a specific color)
Emotion - Color
Touch - Color
Music Notes - Color
Pain - Color
Sight - Touch (example: looking at a TV... I can feel the TV in its shape, weight, static, etc. But this happens very rarely)

Everyone in my family has various forms of it, but they're not all the same as mine, and vice versa. My Dad has various numerical forms and my Mom and Brother have Grapheme versions.

Anyhow, I think it's incredibly fascinating. Share!

oh dear god I am dying of envy, lol. My friend is a Synesthete. He had noo idea what it was until we got to talking one day... he was slightly disturbed that I could tell him all about it (I want it, that's why :)). He has the numbers are colors variety. I am *sure* it has helped him to be the numbers whizz that he is, though I can't prove it.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I have a little of it and didn't even know it for years until I read about it. I thought that was how everyone experienced things.

Its really silly and kind of fun.

The oddest is smell/sight related.

My cousin is a concert pianist and once when I saw his lips moving when he was playing I asked him what was going on and he shamefacedly admitted to me that he was talking to various notes which stood out and had distinct personalities to him. He is also INFP.

I've noticed this often when musicians are performing and wonder how many of them are experiencing some sort of synaesthesia.

dotdalidot

MBTI Type
UFO
What if you only experience this sometimes? Is it still classified as synesthesia?

I think Ivaguely experience it at times, if thats possible lol. The person=color thing. It's usually not intense, and it's just impressions. As in "Oh, this person reminds me of teal." So I'd figure it wouldn't be synesthesia.
And I thought all people experienced this though. strannnge.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
AWESOME. I wish I had those types... it must make life so much more rich!

The interesting thing about this condition is that people typically don't go to doctors and talk about it because a) it doesn't bother or hinder them from daily tasks and/or b) because they figure everyone has it (until they discover that it's actually not normal.

I never thought anything of it until I read something about an idiot savant seeing math as colors and shapes and being able to move the equations around in his mind according to colors and fitting together in a harmonic way, and it was called synesthesia. I've been obsessed with researching it since!

LOL!! I did sort of figure people did have it until I was getting corrected all the time.. then I sort of shut up to avoid the situations entirely. It doesn't hinder me at all, nor does it aid me.. I don't see numbers and letters in colors persay, but if I'm writing in markers or something I tend to always use the same colors for the same numbers and letters.

I wish I could do something as useful as your encounter's.

Hmmm . . . never thought of the water turning into visual stimulation but wow . . .

They are random bright (like sparks) flying upwards they are really there but I can't touch them :D it was entertaining. Funny thing is that the most rationale explanation would have to be something damaging my brain like hypoxia.

I equate really soft, tangle-free hair to water whenever I touch it. Like, I feel water through my fingers when I touch hair. I don't know if that classifies, but no one really understands what I mean when I say it. I tend to say often that So-in-so's shirt or attitude is Loud, or that something is soft.. I mean on the ears, even though it's through the eyes, but at least people understand that when I say it!!

I have a little of it and didn't even know it for years until I read about it. I thought that was how everyone experienced things.

Its really silly and kind of fun.

The oddest is smell/sight related.

My cousin is a concert pianist and once when I saw his lips moving when he was playing I asked him what was going on and he shamefacedly admitted to me that he was talking to various notes which stood out and had distinct personalities to him. He is also INFP.

I've noticed this often when musicians are performing and wonder how many of them are experiencing some sort of synaesthesia.

I have smell-to-sight relations. Seeing a food will make me instantly think of it.. For example, I can see a hotdog while hungry, and literally taste and smell it inside of my sinuses and mouth, right up to the onion and mustard toppings. I think the weirdest is seeing sheer curtains and smelling nutmeg.

Painting did the personality thing for me, albeit I'm a terrible painter. The colors told me where they belonged moreso than deciding what was the best for the canvas. If I was painting something, the colors would change in it. I'd end up painting trees orange and purple, with technicolor skies. I didn't do well in art class ;) . My best painting was a girl in a kimono, where her Kimono was a bland, matte cornflower blue, and everything else was highly colorful and artistic. My best sketch art was a pot plant full of colorful leaves from the fall, but they all seemed black and white to me except the smallest leaf that was bright green.

..So does anyone else does the taste thing??

Also, for those that research this.. is there any correlation between this and dreaming? I'm a very vivid dreamer, as I've posted before, to the point where I'll believe the things happening to be real sometimes until I awake and have to sort out reality from fiction.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Also, for those that research this.. is there any correlation between this and dreaming? I'm a very vivid dreamer, as I've posted before, to the point where I'll believe the things happening to be real sometimes until I awake and have to sort out reality from fiction.
Well...I never know I'm dreaming until I wake up. And the only synesthesia I do is that with visualizing numbers and dates and such.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Well...I never know I'm dreaming until I wake up. And the only synesthesia I do is that with visualizing numbers and dates and such.

On the rare occasions I remember dates and times, it is only because they came to my mind as a location, not as a figure of time.