• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Synesthesia

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I'm not sure, Anon gave me this test. Make sure your PC is turned off btw. I don't hear sucking, more like a tinkling swirl of sorts. It is a noisy picture though.

turn off PC? but then everything goes buh bye... I did played it fullscreen again, and I still hear sucking sound. Ah well... I'm defective.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I have quite intense syn but hear nothing with that test. Mine is pretty much exclusively visual.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
turn off PC? but then everything goes buh bye... I did played it fullscreen again, and I still hear sucking sound. Ah well... I'm defective.

Turn off PC's sound. :blush:

I have quite intense syn but hear nothing with that test. Mine is pretty much exclusively visual.

*woe* I'm a defective syn wannabe.

I find some pictures noisy. The test was one. CJ Woolf's avatar is another.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I didn't hear anything.

Kinda felt like they were trying to suck my brain out through the computer, though.

You sure the people who made this weren't zombies?

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
More.

So then I started to think about this thread and began to think about the sense of smell and how it is, of all the sense, the most evocative of memory and wondered if that may not be a mild form of synaethesia that nearly everyone experiences.

I suppose it would be a matter of degree of how vivid the momories are.

Some neurologists that study synesthesia suggest that everyone could have synesthesia, but their brains don't have the connections... as in, the perfect human brain (using 100% of it rather than the 10% or less that is suggested we use today), would be capable of this, so that synesthesia is not a dysfunction.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Thanks for that, Penelope.

Rereading kyuuei I thought about that sense that some people have colors. I experience the shimmering effect with some, generally when things are quiet and the subject is deep and thoughtful. Particularly around the head and shoulders. It can be quite distracting if I happen to be lecturing and look out at my audience!

Deep purple, golden sparklies and tones of blue are apparent. I can't determine the commonality among the people; it seems more of an expression of a feeling state that is present.

There is one effect which spells "Danger!" to me, though. And that is a sooty appearance. Hah. I'm in mind of horror literature where the villain is described as a "dark man." Once in a blue moon I'll run into someone who looks/feels like they just got done sweeping out a chimney!

kyueei calling this a seeing with the third eye is as good a way to describe it as I can think. There's no way that it transcribes onto paper.

But one thing for certain, on the rare occasion when I run into this I watch my step!

In one case where I was working for a woman whose husband came in to work frequently and masterminded her business, he was the "dirtiest" human being I have ever perceived.

I terminated there and it was shortly after that I read his name in the paper relating some nefarious business dealings. Coincidence? I don't know, but I'm glad I operated on instinct in that case.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This ISTP I know relates Colors to Numbers...every color has a Number and/or combination of numbers. He also relates Textures to Sounds...thought it interesting.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Curious, what colour do I appear to you?

Ok, I've got to test that one. I've always thought different M&M colours tasted different - have a preference for red, brown ones. Don't like the blue and green ones. I'd always thought it was the taste of the dyes until someone told me they taste the same. :shock:

It isn't forced as such. If I concentrate I lose it. It is how some people in the forums are clearer to me than others. I also "sense" them at different locations. Recently with one, when the person was in some kind of pain, the colours would change too.

Screensaver reveals new test for synaesthesia - life - 04 August 2008 - New Scientist

^ Do you hear anything on the above?

You're.. I don't know the name for it. That color of blue when the sun's not up yet, but there's still a hint of light in the sky. It's sort of light and dark at the same time, because it a fade. You're not one color necessarily, but a watercolor blotch. Aimahn is a flat, matte maroon.

I used to favor green and blue m&ms merely because the colors were kinder on my eyes. When I was a kid, reds and yellows hurt them because they were a bit too loud for me, I suppose with age I can tolerate them better but my wardrobe still consists of mainly darker neutral shades.

I, too, think the difference is in the conscious thought process. People can consciously relate symbols to things (I do this nearly constantly, and it has nothing to do with Syn) but the difference is the subconscious acts of relating one sense to another. I can't control how I see neon colors, I wish I could. They're just too loud and painful on my eyes, because they're making a sort of racket for me.

(And I also heard twinkling of sorts, like the dots were little bells that made noise everytime the wind pulled them in and out and they ran into each other. Noisy, but it was't unpleasent.)

Thanks for that, Penelope.

Rereading kyuuei I thought about that sense that some people have colors. I experience the shimmering effect with some, generally when things are quiet and the subject is deep and thoughtful. Particularly around the head and shoulders. It can be quite distracting if I happen to be lecturing and look out at my audience!

Deep purple, golden sparklies and tones of blue are apparent. I can't determine the commonality among the people; it seems more of an expression of a feeling state that is present.

There is one effect which spells "Danger!" to me, though. And that is a sooty appearance. Hah. I'm in mind of horror literature where the villain is described as a "dark man." Once in a blue moon I'll run into someone who looks/feels like they just got done sweeping out a chimney!

kyueei calling this a seeing with the third eye is as good a way to describe it as I can think. There's no way that it transcribes onto paper.

But one thing for certain, on the rare occasion when I run into this I watch my step!

In one case where I was working for a woman whose husband came in to work frequently and masterminded her business, he was the "dirtiest" human being I have ever perceived.

I terminated there and it was shortly after that I read his name in the paper relating some nefarious business dealings. Coincidence? I don't know, but I'm glad I operated on instinct in that case.

You know I didn't bother to mention this because I haven't seen it often at all and it slipped my mind quite frankly, but I have before encountered someone with shades around them. I suppose soot is a better way of saying it. :heart:

I think its interesting that shimmers represent thinking for you though! Shimmers always have shown a bit of innocense for me. Intelligence is generally regarded as coloring centered at their foreheads or throats for me.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Originally Posted by aelan
Screensaver reveals new test for synaesthesia - life - 04 August 2008 - New Scientist

^ Do you hear anything on the above?

First viewing: Hold on, they've put sound in that picture by mistake *presses mute button* There, that's better.

Second viewing: Could that possibly be the computer? No, I don't believe it suffers from pneumonia. Radio? No, that's off, so is everything else. Ah maybe the cat needs the vet *kicks cat out of room, much to its surprise* I'll see about that tomorrow.

Third viewing: Umm... no excuses, are there?

:shock: I didn't know I did that!

BTW, I thought it sounded a little like someone breathing - it had that kind of regular rythym to it, but it was very crackly and "watery" most times I heard it (I repeated it quite a few times) - most like someone with a lung condition.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I turned off sound aelan... still hear the same thing. But then again maybe I've associated the sound to the image already. *shrugs*

Some neurologists that study synesthesia suggest that everyone could have synesthesia, but their brains don't have the connections... as in, the perfect human brain (using 100% of it rather than the 10% or less that is suggested we use today), would be capable of this, so that synesthesia is not a dysfunction.
Heh! That's interesting. So I'm not dysfunction after all.

BTW, I thought it sounded a little like someone breathing - it had that kind of regular rythym to it, but it was very crackly and "watery" most times I heard it (I repeated it quite a few times) - most like someone with a lung condition.
It sounds somewhat like what I hear. Like there's fluid moving in and out of something.

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
Kyuuei and Anja--When you visually, actually see a color surrounding a person, usually pulsating or with some effect, that's called an aura, and I don't believe that's considered synesthesia, but I could be wrong. I have read that goes in conjunction with the 6th sense, ESP stuff.

When I "see" colors with people, it is purely a feeling that associates with a color that I see in my mind's eye, as is the same for when I perceive music as color and shapes... I feel the colors and shapes in my mind's eye. I guess that's difficult to explain...

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Yes, auras. Every now and then they manifest in the contemplative situations I mentioned above. But I don't think it's a thinking state. I'm tempted to say that it is a spiritual thing.

The sooty thing is something else. It's not an aura but rather an overlay of what looks like a sooty deposit directly on the person's skin. But it's ghostly. I know that it isn't there.

Hard to describe.

It's not something I am consciously looking for but rather something that jumps out and startles me. Glad it doesn't happen often or I'd stop going out in public!

And it is connected to my own feeling that I am in some kind of jeopardy. Yes, I guess one could call that sixth sense.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Grr, I had just typed a long post and the computer deleted it for no apparant reason instead of posting, so I will have to start again! Here goes:

My neuroscientist SO suggested to me that the most likely part of the brain for the synaesthesia to be occuring was in an area called the Parietal Lobe, which has a major role to play in integrating sense inputs processed by other parts of the brain. More specifically either the Inferior Parietal lobe or the Posterior parietal cortex are likely to be involved. The second of these links the parietal lobe to parts of the brain that more directly process sense input, such as the temporal lobe and Occiputal lobe. This article seems to be confirming some of what she was telling me, at rather more length:http://www.goucher.edu/documents/verge/papers4/davis.pdf

What I find particularly interesting about this (given that I had a "positive" result on the test posted earlier) is that I almost certainly have some form of temporal lobe epillepsy, which affects an adjacent area of the brain to the one likely to be involved. I was wondering whether it was possible for this to affect my capacity for synaesthetic experience, and whether anyone else who has synaesthsia has similar issues...

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Grr, I had just typed a long post and the computer deleted it for no apparant reason instead of posting, so I will have to start again! Here goes:

My neuroscientist SO suggested to me that the most likely part of the brain for the synaesthesia to be occuring was in an area called the Parietal Lobe, which has a major role to play in integrating sense inputs processed by other parts of the brain. More specifically either the Inferior Parietal lobe or the Posterior parietal cortex are likely to be involved. The second of these links the parietal lobe to parts of the brain that more directly process sense input, such as the temporal lobe and Occiputal lobe. This article seems to be confirming some of what she was telling me, at rather more length:http://www.goucher.edu/documents/verge/papers4/davis.pdf

What I find particularly interesting about this (given that I had a "positive" result on the test posted earlier) is that I almost certainly have some form of temporal lobe epillepsy, which affects an adjacent area of the brain to the one likely to be involved. I was wondering whether it was possible for this to affect my capacity for synaesthetic experience, and whether anyone else who has synaesthsia has similar issues...

I was thinking along those lines, though not in such scientific detail, ragashree.

I've heard scientific explanations for near-death experiences as well. Where I exercise personal caution is the effort to medically diagnose such as abnormal. The scientific mind. . .

God bless em, anyway. Heh.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Kyuuei and Anja--When you visually, actually see a color surrounding a person, usually pulsating or with some effect, that's called an aura, and I don't believe that's considered synesthesia, but I could be wrong. I have read that goes in conjunction with the 6th sense, ESP stuff.

When I "see" colors with people, it is purely a feeling that associates with a color that I see in my mind's eye, as is the same for when I perceive music as color and shapes... I feel the colors and shapes in my mind's eye. I guess that's difficult to explain...

Right, my Syn generally comes in the form of smell and taste when I see or hear things, and hearing when I see things as well. Seeing music is something that I do, though I don't believe in the same way you describe.. I see whole pictures, not just colors. I see pictures with people as well. I 'see' tinted glass everytime Meta talks.. I can't control that, it's just what shows in my mind. Seeing peoples colors is also something I cannot control, although I don't see everyone's. Synesthesia describes as one sense relating to another.. I was simply indulging in another conversation that started. I don't know if I would go so far as to say I have a 6th sense..

I often do the spatial (sp?) thing though. Dates are definitely places for me, as are times, events, plans, etc. They all have a 'schedule' and a place on a map in my mind, otherwise I cannot comprehend them at all. Dates and events are objects for me, not spans of time. The bigger the event for me, the bigger the location looks to me.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Here's a funny puzzle. My senses confuse the smell of parsnips frying in butter with those flashing lights for airplanes on the top of tall buildings! Then I get an zip straight down my spine like an electrical shock. WTF?

Amusing.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Lol!! I often confuse scents with others or scents with sights as well XD.. I often thought the weeds around my elementary school smelled of pickles.. and was quite shocked to learn otherwise!! I still smell that, even though no one else can. Also, sometimes a place will just smell foul to me, even if other people don't notice it. it generally comes in the smell of a locker room or a gym bag.. that sort of stench.

I already stated my weirdest one.. but I do experience things that move my body in ways to make it believe it's shocked, or happy, or even 'excited' at points.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
!!!!!! IF I WERE AN X-MEN!!.. Honestly I'd probably be the lamest one XD!! "Wolverine!! There's curtains in here!!" "How can you tell Kyuuei?!! I see no windows!" "..I smell nutmeg. It must be an illusion!!"