User Tag List

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default Audiophiles, hifi enthusiasts, engineers

Do you think there are two camps? Engineers and the artists? I feel that there are.

I place myself soundly at the engineer camp. I've bought speakers because of the SPL, SNR, THD and the frequency response. If you don't get any of that you haven't probably paid attention to the sound engineers.

So, where do you camp and why?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ

For such a ridiculously unpopular thread - which is usual for me - may I offer another question?

If you do test audio equipment, which are the tracks you run through in your audio tests?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Armchair Explorer Doctor Anaximander's Avatar
    MBTI
    TiSi
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I thought I’d read that a lot of audiophiles like to test equipment with Dark Side of the Moon.

I’m not in the engineer or audiophile camp. While I can appreciate better headphones or speakers over shittier ones, I’m not one these people who can listen to various stereo setups and pick out every little nuance and flaw

Though as a self producing musician, I have been trying to train myself to think and listen more like a sound engineer so I can mix my recordings to sound better on a variety of speakers and headphones. I don’t have the budget to pay a professional engineer to mix my stuff
    See ya

Guardian of Ga'Hoole Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Anaximander View Post
    I thought I’d read that a lot of audiophiles like to test equipment with Dark Side of the Moon.
    That makes sense. Heavy use of stereo panning type effects and a lot of tones of all different frequencies.

I’m not in the engineer or audiophile camp. While I can appreciate better headphones or speakers over shittier ones, I’m not one these people who can listen to various stereo setups and pick out every little nuance and flaw
    I can get OCD about these settings sometimes. I wish I knew how to find the right one. I suppose I need to get into the state of consciousness where I'm very keyed into the nuances of sound.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

Likes Doctor Anaximander liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ

I'm not a professional with any kinds of music production, but I've sometimes tried to do the slightest bit of professionalism with some parts in audio production. I like to test equipment with tracks from Trent Reznor/ Atticus Ross, like In Motion, and rest of the soundtrack from The social Network. Also, Phil Collins, in the Air tonight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]