• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Geek Squad Thread

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Do YOU have questions about technology?

That's great!

Because I have answers!

Don't know how to build a PC? Curious about the latest iPhone? Want to know why that washing machine costs SO MUCH MONEY????

I now work at Best Buy, which means I basically have a degree in IT. I am creating this thread to expand my knowledge and practice working with tech. So I highly encourage you to throw your hardball questions at me. Consider this thread a spiritual successor to [MENTION=31637]Korvinagor[/MENTION]'s thread. Also I should note, I am not trying to sell you anything. I don't care where you buy the products I mention or anything like that. I just want to be good at my job since 90% of it is product knowledge, if that makes sense. Oh and for legal and transparency reasons, no, I am not actually part of geek squad, my department is computers. This thread is not sponsored. Do not sue me or I will sue you back.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why does my computer boot up again, after I turn it off after like 15 minutes? I don't have any virus or Malware, and it has done so since I built it. It doesn't do it every time I shut it down, but once in a while.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Why does my computer boot up again, after I turn it off after like 15 minutes? I don't have any virus or Malware, and it has done so since I built it. It doesn't do it every time I shut it down, but once in a while.

So this is a common problem among people who built their own PC, it seems. My boyfriend's computer does it too. From what I'm reading, it's possible that where you put the power surge could be causing it. Other sorts of sources could be the OS updating, your network adapter turning it on, or your BIOS being weird.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So this is a common problem among people who built their own PC, it seems. My boyfriend's computer does it too. From what I'm reading, it's possible that where you put the power surge could be causing it. Other sorts of sources could be the OS updating, your network adapter turning it on, or your BIOS being weird.

My computer is set not to update by itself, but I will double check the adapter settings.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
WOOOOOP.

Okay lemme ask a realllyyyy stupid question.

I recently bought a new laptop (its fantastic) it is a dell inspiron 3000. Intel core i7 10th gen. Touchscreen. Intel Iris Integrated Plus graphics. So I have...2 questions. Likely boring.

1. What sort of pens are compatible with the touchscreen I have? Or styluses?

2. the only game I really play on computer is Sims 4. What settings should I have to allow for the longevity of the computer but my ability to play the game with my sims graphics to at least medium? Am I really killing the life of my laptop by playing a game on it with integrated graphics?

Thanks if you have...input. You're less intimidating than the actual best buy employees I usually see. XD

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
WOOOOOP.

Okay lemme ask a realllyyyy stupid question.

I recently bought a new laptop (its fantastic) it is a dell inspiron 3000. Intel core i7 10th gen. Touchscreen. Intel Iris Integrated Plus graphics. So I have...2 questions. Likely boring.

1. What sort of pens are compatible with the touchscreen I have? Or styluses?

2. the only game I really play on computer is Sims 4. What settings should I have to allow for the longevity of the computer but my ability to play the game with my sims graphics to at least medium? Am I really killing the life of my laptop by playing a game on it with integrated graphics?

Thanks if you have...input. You're less intimidating than the actual best buy employees I usually see. XD

There's no such thing as a dumb question.

1) It took me a little surfing through Dell forums, but this style of laptop does not support active pens--- only regular ones with a rubber tip (and those don't have hot reviews with this laptop). An active pen is like the fancy ones with technology in the inside that do tricks and can detect sensitivity and yadda yadda yadda. Some people have lucked out and found that Motorola active pens work with the device, but it appears to be a gamble. So if drawing on your laptop was the goal, you wouldn't find that this is the right product for you. At best, you can buy a cheap universal $2 stylus and work with that, but yeah.

2) If you are just casually gaming, playing games at any setting--- whether you are pushing the laptop to its limits or not--- should not harm it. I guess technically you are degrading the life span, but in the same way that like breathing air is degrading a human's life span. Play the game at whatever setting is most comfortable for you! Note that lag and stuff might occur, but that's not a sign of damage, just a lack of strength.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Where do I sign up to join the geek squad?

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Where do I sign up to join the geek squad?

Joke answer: Follow this link

Actual aqnwer: i don't know. I'm like low level in the company and that took a lot of vetting. I can't imagine how hard it is to be promoted to Geek Squad!

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=27952]Merced[/MENTION] I went over all my settings on computer, and none of the requirements were met for it rebooting it after I shut it down. (I have also tried to fix it before using google). I double checked the task scheduler, and the bios. (I also dual boot, btw). I am beginning to think its just an issue with Windows 7.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
[MENTION=27952]Merced[/MENTION] I went over all my settings on computer, and none of the requirements were met for it rebooting it after I shut it down. (I have also tried to fix it before using google). I double checked the task scheduler, and the bios. (I also dual boot, btw). I am beginning to think its just an issue with Windows 7.

Interesting... keep me posted

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Want to avoid Black Friday scams? Talk to me!

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=27952]Merced[/MENTION] What are your thoughts about the scalpers who ate up all the initial 3080s who ended up who ended up losing money as there were manufacturing errors in 3rd party cards shortly after the release of the 3080?

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
[MENTION=27952]Merced[/MENTION] What are your thoughts about the scalpers who ate up all the initial 3080s who ended up who ended up losing money as there were manufacturing errors in 3rd party cards shortly after the release of the 3080?

200.gif

I have no sympathy for scalpers of any kind. This includes landlords.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know, right? It's hilarious as now their cards perform less than other 3080s and they dropped like what 800$ on a 3080? I forgot how much they run for MSRP. I think people trying to buy used ones later on will have to be careful though, as scalpers are going to try to get rid of them somehow.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=27952]Merced[/MENTION] help me because I am looking at expensive taste and I don't wanna fuck something up.

My brother got these cool beats from a friend. The solo cubed or something. They're pink. $150.
I also at best buy saw the razer kraken kitty which is fucking adorable, also about $150.

It has been suggested I should consider the beats more because I can, in fact, use an auxiliary cord to make them work with my non-bluetooth MP3 player. Is this something that can be done? Which one is more badass for the similar price? How durable are they? Do they have the same sound? I know the comfort level of both is A+.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
[MENTION=27952]Merced[/MENTION] help me because I am looking at expensive taste and I don't wanna fuck something up.

My brother got these cool beats from a friend. The solo cubed or something. They're pink. $150.
I also at best buy saw the razer kraken kitty which is fucking adorable, also about $150.

It has been suggested I should consider the beats more because I can, in fact, use an auxiliary cord to make them work with my non-bluetooth MP3 player. Is this something that can be done? Which one is more badass for the similar price? How durable are they? Do they have the same sound? I know the comfort level of both is A+.

It does depend on preference, but what I will say that the only thing that the Solo[sup]3[/sup] best the Kraken Kitty in is the fact that you can use the Solo[sup]3[/sup] in bluetooth mode, which sounds like the opposite of what you need.

Overall, the Kraken Kitty has better reviews. (There's even a review that explicitly compares them to the Solo[sup]3[/sup].) My only concern is storage-- as in where are you putting these when you aren't using them-- and wearing it in public.

Kraken products tend to last longer than Beats in my opinion as well.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It does depend on preference, but what I will say that the only thing that the Solo[sup]3[/sup] best the Kraken Kitty in is the fact that you can use the Solo[sup]3[/sup] in bluetooth mode, which sounds like the opposite of what you need.

Overall, the Kraken Kitty has better reviews. (There's even a review that explicitly compares them to the Solo[sup]3[/sup].) My only concern is storage-- as in where are you putting these when you aren't using them-- and wearing it in public.

Kraken products tend to last longer than Beats in my opinion as well.

Okay here's kind of what I'm looking at:
there's a nonkitty kraken (I can buy the ears for it lol) which has an aux cord I can use with my mp3. nevertheless, I am looking for a nice headset for moreless blaring music. but can also handle me running outside in them. so they need durability. and I worry a gaming headset may not work for this. although the kraken's seem straight up awesome and I have luck with razer products.

do you think it can survive that longevity wise? would you recommend me something else that might if not?

secondary note: my weird MP3 player has the 3.5mm place for a headset. it does NOT have bluetooth so I need a wired connection ability.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Okay here's kind of what I'm looking at:
there's a nonkitty kraken (I can buy the ears for it lol) which has an aux cord I can use with my mp3. nevertheless, I am looking for a nice headset for moreless blaring music. but can also handle me running outside in them. so they need durability. and I worry a gaming headset may not work for this. although the kraken's seem straight up awesome and I have luck with razer products.

do you think it can survive that longevity wise? would you recommend me something else that might if not?

I would personally recommend in-ear headphones for sports activities as opposed to over the ear or on-ear headphones. Definitely wouldn't recommend Kraken for sports anything. I don't even think their warranty covers sweat damage. In that case, I would choose the Beats3 (not doing the [sup]supertext[/sup] anymore, I flexed my bbcode knowledge enough as is). They are more geared towards active use like that. They don't light up, but you can add kitty ears to the Beats3 via Amazon, push comes to shove.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would personally recommend in-ear headphones for sports activities as opposed to over the ear or on-ear headphones. Definitely wouldn't recommend Kraken for sports anything. I don't even think their warranty covers sweat damage. In that case, I would choose the Beats3 (not doing the [sup]supertext[/sup] anymore, I flexed my bbcode knowledge enough as is). They are more geared towards active use like that. They don't light up, but you can add kitty ears to the Beats3 via Amazon, push comes to shove.

do you recommend any particular wired ones? I want to invest in ones that actually sound good but last - a lot of times my luck ends up being I pay $40 but they die in 3 months... *sigh* so I end up buying like $15 ones that vary in longevity. I am sorry I keep prodding but you do have more knowledge. XD