User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 25

  1. #1
    Talk to me. Merced's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    286 so/sp
    Posts
    3,726

    Default Geek Squad Thread

    Do YOU have questions about technology?

    That's great!

    Because I have answers!

    Don't know how to build a PC? Curious about the latest iPhone? Want to know why that washing machine costs SO MUCH MONEY????

    I now work at Best Buy, which means I basically have a degree in IT. I am creating this thread to expand my knowledge and practice working with tech. So I highly encourage you to throw your hardball questions at me. Consider this thread a spiritual successor to @Korvinagor's thread. Also I should note, I am not trying to sell you anything. I don't care where you buy the products I mention or anything like that. I just want to be good at my job since 90% of it is product knowledge, if that makes sense. Oh and for legal and transparency reasons, no, I am not actually part of geek squad, my department is computers. This thread is not sponsored. Do not sue me or I will sue you back.
    I am currently looking for someone to give me an in depth typing. Willing to pay money.
    Likes Red Memories, JAVO liked this post

  2. #2
    A Free Spirit Firebird 8118's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    279 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    3,672

    Default

    All right, Geek Squad FTW!
    “The world breaks everyone, then some become strong at the broken places.” ~Ernest Hemingway

    Johari: https://kevan.org/johari?name=~MS*ANGEL~
    Nohari: https://kevan.org/nohari?name=~MS*ANGEL~

    Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    "And then, raising my lids slowly and looking out from underneath my lashes, i captured him with my eyes"
    Likes Red Memories liked this post

  3. #3
    The Ruined King тень's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    MBTI
    XNTP
    Enneagram
    469 so/sp
    Posts
    6,067

    Default

    Why does my computer boot up again, after I turn it off after like 15 minutes? I don't have any virus or Malware, and it has done so since I built it. It doesn't do it every time I shut it down, but once in a while.

  4. #4
    Talk to me. Merced's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    286 so/sp
    Posts
    3,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dareyth View Post
    Why does my computer boot up again, after I turn it off after like 15 minutes? I don't have any virus or Malware, and it has done so since I built it. It doesn't do it every time I shut it down, but once in a while.
    So this is a common problem among people who built their own PC, it seems. My boyfriend's computer does it too. From what I'm reading, it's possible that where you put the power surge could be causing it. Other sorts of sources could be the OS updating, your network adapter turning it on, or your BIOS being weird.
    I am currently looking for someone to give me an in depth typing. Willing to pay money.

  5. #5
    The Ruined King тень's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    MBTI
    XNTP
    Enneagram
    469 so/sp
    Posts
    6,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merced View Post
    So this is a common problem among people who built their own PC, it seems. My boyfriend's computer does it too. From what I'm reading, it's possible that where you put the power surge could be causing it. Other sorts of sources could be the OS updating, your network adapter turning it on, or your BIOS being weird.
    My computer is set not to update by itself, but I will double check the adapter settings.

  6. #6
    Haunted Echoes Red Memories's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    215 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    7,116

    Default

    WOOOOOP.

    Okay lemme ask a realllyyyy stupid question.

    I recently bought a new laptop (its fantastic) it is a dell inspiron 3000. Intel core i7 10th gen. Touchscreen. Intel Iris Integrated Plus graphics. So I have...2 questions. Likely boring.

    1. What sort of pens are compatible with the touchscreen I have? Or styluses?

    2. the only game I really play on computer is Sims 4. What settings should I have to allow for the longevity of the computer but my ability to play the game with my sims graphics to at least medium? Am I really killing the life of my laptop by playing a game on it with integrated graphics?

    Thanks if you have...input. You're less intimidating than the actual best buy employees I usually see. XD


    After all,
    How can you run from what is inside of you?
    Likes awbro liked this post

  7. #7
    Talk to me. Merced's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    286 so/sp
    Posts
    3,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Memories View Post
    WOOOOOP.

    Okay lemme ask a realllyyyy stupid question.

    I recently bought a new laptop (its fantastic) it is a dell inspiron 3000. Intel core i7 10th gen. Touchscreen. Intel Iris Integrated Plus graphics. So I have...2 questions. Likely boring.

    1. What sort of pens are compatible with the touchscreen I have? Or styluses?

    2. the only game I really play on computer is Sims 4. What settings should I have to allow for the longevity of the computer but my ability to play the game with my sims graphics to at least medium? Am I really killing the life of my laptop by playing a game on it with integrated graphics?

    Thanks if you have...input. You're less intimidating than the actual best buy employees I usually see. XD
    There's no such thing as a dumb question.

    1) It took me a little surfing through Dell forums, but this style of laptop does not support active pens--- only regular ones with a rubber tip (and those don't have hot reviews with this laptop). An active pen is like the fancy ones with technology in the inside that do tricks and can detect sensitivity and yadda yadda yadda. Some people have lucked out and found that Motorola active pens work with the device, but it appears to be a gamble. So if drawing on your laptop was the goal, you wouldn't find that this is the right product for you. At best, you can buy a cheap universal $2 stylus and work with that, but yeah.

    2) If you are just casually gaming, playing games at any setting--- whether you are pushing the laptop to its limits or not--- should not harm it. I guess technically you are degrading the life span, but in the same way that like breathing air is degrading a human's life span. Play the game at whatever setting is most comfortable for you! Note that lag and stuff might occur, but that's not a sign of damage, just a lack of strength.
    I am currently looking for someone to give me an in depth typing. Willing to pay money.
    Likes Red Memories liked this post

  8. #8
    Remember, Humanity. Alexandre Dantès's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    379 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,428

    Default

    Where do I sign up to join the geek squad?
    "..And alien tears will fill for him
    Pity's long-broken urn,
    For his mourner will be outcast men,
    And outcasts always mourn..”

    Exist for today, live for tomorrow, strive to be better than yesterday.

    Preferred pronoun They/them

  9. #9
    Talk to me. Merced's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    286 so/sp
    Posts
    3,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Everin View Post
    Where do I sign up to join the geek squad?
    Joke answer: Follow this link

    Actual aqnwer: i don't know. I'm like low level in the company and that took a lot of vetting. I can't imagine how hard it is to be promoted to Geek Squad!
    I am currently looking for someone to give me an in depth typing. Willing to pay money.
    Likes Red Memories, awbro liked this post

  10. #10
    The Ruined King тень's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    MBTI
    XNTP
    Enneagram
    469 so/sp
    Posts
    6,067

    Default

    @Merced I went over all my settings on computer, and none of the requirements were met for it rebooting it after I shut it down. (I have also tried to fix it before using google). I double checked the task scheduler, and the bios. (I also dual boot, btw). I am beginning to think its just an issue with Windows 7.

Similar Threads

  1. Hey GeekSquad, Help well not geek squad but someone who knows something about macs.
    By prplchknz in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-30-2007, 11:16 AM
  2. Introductory threads encouraged!
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 11:26 AM
  3. Geoff makes obligatory welcome thread
    By Geoff in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 11:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO