• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Will work from home last after COVID is over?

ygolo

My termites win
I feel like the remote work/WFH norm that took hold during the pandemic actually opened up a lot of new ways of working--especially for people who do things like software, blogging, or any other form of writing.

How likely do you think it will be that the ways of work will continue after the pandemic?

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel like the remote work/WFH norm that took hold during the pandemic actually opened up a lot of new ways of working--especially for people who do things like software, blogging, or any other form of writing.

How likely do you think it will be that the ways of work will continue after the pandemic?

I feel it’s tough to say we can know when “after the pandemic” will occur with any certainty.

I think it’s healthier to have the flexibility of remote work. I hope it does last.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
"When COVID is over" is starting to sound a whole lot like "when I win the lotto."

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I think that there are all kinds of jobs that were done from an office that never needed to be and people won't want to go back. If I want to work on my boat in the Keys, I think that should be an option.

ygolo

My termites win
I think that there are all kinds of jobs that were done from an office that never needed to be and people won't want to go back. If I want to work on my boat in the Keys, I think that should be an option.

One of our contractors did that, long before COVID. He'd also raise anchor and be unavailable for 3-6 months a year. Now he's fully retired.

I am definitely considering going down that route before final retirement.

But for now I am contracting for a company two states away.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It depends. If the kind work is something that is more technologically based in some way, then yes, I'd wager that more and more companies will realize that letting people work from home is a sound idea that should stick around permanently. But even in some jobs that can be done remotely such as customer service representatives, secretaries/receptionists, etc etc, I think companies would want those people to come back, which sucks. The kind of thing I'm studying and working on right now is art centered but it's also very computer based, so lots of remote work is available for that kind of thing. I would guess that it would stick around after Covid is over, if it ever truly goes away lol. Taking online classes, when done right, was a pleasant experience for me, so working from home might be the same way. Not always an easy thing to do when other things are happening in the home such as noise, kids and pets running around, and so on.. but doable for certain workers.

I sometimes wonder if my C-PTSD and other psychiatric distress would keep me from working outside despite my going to psychiatrists, doctors, and taking medication long-term, so I do hope more flexible work options can remain. Not everyone is able bodied (or able minded), after all.