User Tag List

123 Last

Default Keeping your car clean

How do you keep your car clean? What do you use and what tricks have you discovered for taking care of the fiddly and annoying angles and narrow little grooves where all the grit, dust, debris seems to gather and gather and gather.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I like this guy..

The Detail Geek - YouTube

Not so much for the videos (although I like how he details cars). It was more for his equipment list in the description of his vids. I've bought several of his recommendations including the drill brush (so good) and I already had the hot water Bissell. One things I love for cleaning little groves and hard to reach places.

And a Lilly brush for all the crud and dirt on the carpeting, not just for pet hair.

Auto Pet Hair Detailer - Lillybrush

I have a Jeep Renegade with neoprene upholstery. It stays pretty clean and repels water so most of the cleaning I do is on the carpet. But the right tools make it easy to keep up.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes JAVO, highlander liked this post

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    496 sx/sp

I let the sun and heat come through the windows and kill everything. Occasionally I throw stuff away.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I do this for a living, so Ill share some tips when I get home.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    954 sp/so

Once every two weeks I throw out the collection of water bottles I've amassed firm taking one for my daily commute yet often never drinking it. After the purge I typically feel so proud of myself that I treat myself to frozen yogurt.
    The order of preference for your cognitive functions appears to be
    Ne > Ti > Te = Ni > Fi > Fe = Se > Si
    Likes MovinOut, Powehi liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    Once every two weeks I throw out the collection of water bottles I've amassed firm taking one for my daily commute yet often never drinking it. After the purge I typically feel so proud of myself that I treat myself to frozen yogurt.
    My husband had 8 bottles on the floor in his backseat, which he finally emptied and put in the recycle bin. He also rewards himself but it's frozen custard from Culver's.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    666 sx/sp

I go over it once a week with the shop vac after getting out all the half drank water bottles, LaraBar wrappers, and empty throw away coffee cups.
    Wipe down with armor all wipes and keep baby wipes on hand for spills.

Its a lot cleaner now that my boys are older.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Hellena Handbasket View Post
    I go over it once a week with the shop vac after getting out all the half drank water bottles, LaraBar wrappers, and empty throw away coffee cups.
    Wipe down with armor all wipes and keep baby wipes on hand for spills.

Its a lot cleaner now that my boys are older.
    I will say this as a friend and someone who cleans cars. Armor all wipes are REALLY bad for cleaning cars. They are oily, and as a result collect dust and smells. Orange clean is the best for wipe downs, and general cleaning. Microfibers are your friend!
    Likes JAVO liked this post

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Dareyth's guide to car detailing.

I've been detailing cars for upwards of three years, and my company has a very established way of doing things. This is the process of how we usually detail cars (inside).

What you need:

- Orange clean
    - Window cleaner
    - Lemon motor wash
    - Microfiber towels
    - Window Towel (no lint towel)
    - Paint brush
    - Toothbrush (shop kind, not people kind)
    - Dry brush
    - Pumice stone
    - Brittle pad
    - Air gun (with Air compressor) if possible.
    - RTU enzyme (stains in seats)
    - Extractor (for upholstery, optional)

First, take out any mats and vacuum up all loose soil. The pumice stone is for pet and human hair, but don't use it too hard as it can damage cloth. It erodes with use, and don't get it wet. Make sure to get as much vacuumed up as possible and feel free to use the air gun to get anything out of the cracks and under the seats. The toothbrush works great for reaching into crevices, and under plastic. Vacuum inside the storage compartments and doors as well, to reduce loose soil during wipe down.

Then vacuum the mats if cloth, beating them also knocks dust out. If they are rubber, use orange clean and any kind of hard brush to clean them. Then either blow dry it with air gun, or rinse with water and air dry.

Cleaning the engine is simple. Spray lemon motor wash on engine soil. Don't spray into the alternator if you can help it. Spray all the greasy spots and visible soil on the lines and rubber too. Then use the airhose to dry the engine by blowing off the LMW. Then use one of the towels to wipe off excess lemon wash. Use instant shine to make it pretty (wipe off excess shine too) but you dont have to. Some engines also might need a scrub with LMW to get off build up. Feel free to use a brittle pad or brush. Be careful not to scratch the plastic with force though.

Leaving the mats out, we move to the inside of the car (position seats either all the way forward, or back to reach all places depending on where you start). Use orange clean for all hard surfaces. Use a toothbrush to get the crevices, and or the paint brush to lightly scrub soil build up (like on radio knobs, and turn signal). You can use a brittle pad on hard plastic to get off skids if you are gentle with it. Wipe off with microfiber. Use the air gun to dry up any excess orange clean in crevices and especially buttons and the radio. Feel free to use a dry microfiber for residue. Try not to spray directly or too much on the radio. I like to spray some orange clean on the brush and then use the brush to clean it. Works well.

Use extractor for stains in seat, its a machine like a rug doctor but for car seats etc. You have to make sure its dry afterwards by running the heat on for a few hours full blast. Thus prevents mildew. If you don't have an extractor, RTU is an alternative. It dissolves bio-soil, and smells nice. You can spray and wipe off with this. I use the airgun to speed up drying if I dont want to put the heat on. Let air dry with windows down or doors open otherwise. RTU is good for spot cleans, but you can't do the entire seat with it, or it looks spotty. You can also extract cloth mats. I recommend soaking them with extractor fluid/rtu first, and scrubbing them with a hard brush before extracting. Make sure the are dry before putting them back in.

When you do put the mats back in, wash the windows like you would any window. I use steel wool to get any goo or buildup off glass. DO NOT USE STEEL WOOL ON MIRRORS. If you have tint, don't use steel wool at all on the inside of the cars. You can also use the window cleaner to clean up and residue left from orange clean on shiney surfaces.

Have any questions, please ask.
    Likes JAVO, highlander liked this post

I use the Car Wash. I got unlimited every month 25 bucks (not including tips)...armor all on tires included. Tokens for free vacuums included. Wax the outside a few times in summer. For engine, I only use the top of the line synthetic oil and change it about every 7,000 miles...tank 93 gas nothing less. Typically drive in auto-stick to bypass the car's eco-mode.
    Click here for my 2500+ Enneagram Type List to type yourself and others with. It's the only valid breakdown for every enneagram type, wing and stack.

Click here for the only valid visual typing model of stackings on earth and socionics.
    Click here for enneagram type descriptions as a supplement to the only valid breakdown for every type, wing and stack.
    Click here for my typings of 100+ fictional exemplars and here for my typings of 90+ typology central members.