• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Linux

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay, Linux lovers time to come out. What do you like about Linux, what do you hate, what distribution to you use, and why do you use it? Discuss :)

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Falcarius uses Unbuntu mostly because he is a cheapskate, also partly as he does not trust Apple and Microsoft's security.

noname3788

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm using a dual-boot system with Ubuntu and Win10. I keep windows because of otherwise incompatible software, and because my scanner doesn't have drivers for Linux. I haven't looked into other distros yet. I started using Ubuntu because I became somewhat disappointed with how microsoft keeps removing options from Win10, and forces me to use their stuff. I don't need pre-installed games, I don't want to use Ms store and I certainly don't want cortana on my pc. At the start of 10 it was possible to disable most of it, but, as said, they keep removing options to disable that crap. I guess using Ubuntu is okay, doesn't take too long to get into, there's enough software alternatives for pretty much everything and you can also run a surprising amount of windows programs with wine, if you need to. But I still need to get used to terminal.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm using a dual-boot system with Ubuntu and Win10. I keep windows because of otherwise incompatible software, and because my scanner doesn't have drivers for Linux. I haven't looked into other distros yet. I started using Ubuntu because I became somewhat disappointed with how microsoft keeps removing options from Win10, and forces me to use their stuff. I don't need pre-installed games, I don't want to use Ms store and I certainly don't want cortana on my pc. At the start of 10 it was possible to disable most of it, but, as said, they keep removing options to disable that crap. I guess using Ubuntu is okay, doesn't take too long to get into, there's enough software alternatives for pretty much everything and you can also run a surprising amount of windows programs with wine, if you need to. But I still need to get used to terminal.

Yeah, Microsoft's/Apple's crap is a major reason why I want to get into Linux. I've been doing a bit of research on it, and I find the ability to customize as needed to be very tantalizing. Still don't know too much though, hence the researching.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have Linux Mint dual boot, and Windows 7.

I got into linux to hack wifi while at work, back when I worked security... because I was bored. I messed around with a few other things too. It was all fun and games till I fucked it up by accidentally duplicating universes or something. Then had to figure out how to recover my encripted folder. (I succeeded btw) But hey, trial and error, and it makes me feel like a hacker.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I use Ubuntu, 18.04 now, and have for years. I have no patience with OS's that try to insulate me from the innards of the system or limit what I can do to it. I do like that everything is free/open source. I also like how most things can be done through a GUI, through the command line, or by modifying config files. The distros are much more plug and play than when I first started using it (8.04), and there are plenty of user groups and help sites when some small problem comes up.

I haven't had Windows on a computer I own for over a decade, and no looking back. Sadly I have to tolerate Windows on work computers. Win 10 is especially abominable.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I haven't had Windows on a computer I own for over a decade, and no looking back. Sadly I have to tolerate Windows on work computers. Win 10 is especially abominable.

I once ran dual-boot on a machine I had. Right now, I use Linux at work.

Pioneer

I used to have a dual boot Ubuntu/W10 on my work laptop. At some point I got tired of troubleshooting, and now stick to Windows.

dunce

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
If you're going with Ubuntu's latest version, i would avoid dual booting as there is a bug in the installer(grub) that will override the windows start up loader on your main boot drive. The only way to do it safely is to disable your primary hard drive when installing on the second. Do not partition drives; this will be messy and it will break you.

- - - Updated - - -

I use Ubuntu, 18.04 now, and have for years. I have no patience with OS's that try to insulate me from the innards of the system or limit what I can do to it. I do like that everything is free/open source. I also like how most things can be done through a GUI, through the command line, or by modifying config files. The distros are much more plug and play than when I first started using it (8.04), and there are plenty of user groups and help sites when some small problem comes up.

What line of work are you in?

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you're going with Ubuntu's latest version, i would avoid dual booting as there is a bug in the installer(grub) that will override the windows start up loader on your main boot drive. The only way to do it safely is to disable your primary hard drive when installing on the second. Do not partition drives; this will be messy and it will break you.

- - - Updated - - -

What line of work are you in?
I am a physicist, though with enough seniority now that I keep getting sucked into management/administrative work. I miss my grad school days, despite the higher salary now.

Yes, Ubuntu 20 seems to be more of a resource hog than its predecessors. I installed it on my desktop and immediately everything slowed down. Then again, my desktop is fairly old, but Ubuntu is supposed to work well for older/more limited hardware configurations. At least I never bothered to dual-boot. Once windows was gone, it was gone.

dunce

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I am a physicist, though with enough seniority now that I keep getting sucked into management/administrative work. I miss my grad school days, despite the higher salary now.

Yes, Ubuntu 20 seems to be more of a resource hog than its predecessors. I installed it on my desktop and immediately everything slowed down. Then again, my desktop is fairly old, but Ubuntu is supposed to work well for older/more limited hardware configurations. At least I never bothered to dual-boot. Once windows was gone, it was gone.

That's nice. I often long for the day. Unfortunately I'm a corporate desk jockey and don't want to balance two laptops so I'm just sticking to windows for now. But I had my battles with linux dual boots and what nots. Right now I just dabble in Kaali mostly for some of the nice tools it come swith.

tony_goth

Pseudo-delusional Rebel
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's actually "GNU/Linux", because Linux is the kernel of this OS and not the whole OS.

I don't use GNU/Linux in a continuous way, but only when I need it for some reason. The choice of the distribution depends on what you're going to do, be it a desktop, a physical firewall, a music production workstation, a jukebox, or anything else. There are also distributions that can be used as "rescue" disks in the case your computer won't boot for any reason. I use Distrowatch in order to aid myself to choose the distribution that fits the use.

At some "warly" situation, I'd use OpenBSD, but that's not the subject.

Skimt

What Linux has got going for it is that it's free and open source, making it primarily relevant for IoT development. For user experience, it effectively locks you out of software predominantly written for Windows. So I don't use it at home, only for work.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What Linux has got going for it is that it's free and open source, making it primarily relevant for IoT development. For user experience, it effectively locks you out of software predominantly written for Windows. So I don't use it at home, only for work.
Linux is also completely open and accessible to the user, to modify as they see fit, giving them maximum control over their computer and its operation.

The situation is the opposite for me. I am required to use Windows at work, but use Linux exclusively at home. I have been able to find good substitutes for everything I might have used under Windows.

Skimt

That is among the pros that comes with Linux being open source.

The con with it being open source is that there's now dozens of official versions of the OS, with arguably poor labels and descriptions, and hundreds of unofficial versions of the operating system, that regular users need to educate themselves on before they can choose their operating system, launch their PC, and get to work. This is equivalent to an UX problem that draws a large crowd of regular users away from the product.

I'm lucky. I have to use Visual Studio for when I connect to Azure's pipeline, but other than that I can use whatever OS and IDE I want. I do like Visual Studio for Windows. It's a delight to work with.

Indigo Rodent

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
I use Linux Mint since 2009. In 2018, I got a computer with Win10 and initially dual booted it with Linux Mint but I found it abominable and I deleted it and now I'm Linux-only again.

mikomiko

Linux is perfect for game development. Bought new laptop because I have plan to make apps for ios. But its not easy task for me so I will apply to additional help to others who provide iOS app development services for customers. Intrusion into a business’s sensitive enterprise data lodged in apps is a big risk with Android apps. on the other hand, when you compare the iPhone vs Android on the basis on security, iPhone apps, protect firmware and software through stringent security measures.

Last edited: