User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

No. I am STRONGLY against the idea as a whole.

We should be using our technology to fix the problems we’ve created here rather than just move on to another planet to continue consuming and squandering resources. If I had any faith that humanity had or will learn a lesson, I might agree that we deserve a second chance. But w3 haven’t and we wont. As soon as we find another place to ravage that’s exactly what we’ll do.

We made this bed, we deserve to burn with it.
    “ Rise up and raise the iron roof off
    Now, Rise up and riot 'til the bomb drops
    Now, Rise up the time is right to sound off, so
    Rise with me, rise with me, rise with me (RISE UP!)”
    Likes Saprophytic Aphrodite liked this post

MBTI
    dɟu
    Enneagram
    925 sx/sp

*wonders what is beyond my ass*

Anyway... I dunno... if the technology is there, and it's not going to be terribly uncomfortable for me or anyone else, it could be fun! I would want to go with people I like, respect, and who would be safe travel companions. I don't think I'd sign up for a terraforming mission, as I'm not sure I'd be good at it... but if my talents were needed somehow, it would be more likely.

I'd really like to meet Marvin. I think maybe I could get him to caaaaaaaalm down.

Likes The Cat liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    What would it take to get yourself into outer space? Would you sign up to volunteer to an open induction for a terraforming mission? What would it take to get you into the great expanse? (Obviously assuming the tech is there)

Have fun and remember. In Space no one can hear you scream. @_@
    I will answer with several assumptions based off the implications in OP. I will go, specifically because it mentions terraforming. I would like to think that if humanity really has found another planet, we'd not just throw anyone there willy-nilly and send things that are more sustainable and good for the planet, especially if we had to expend effort terraforming it.

Assuming I could even perform the work, provisioned (quiet) living in a new space with a select amount of skilled volunteers doesn't sound too bad. It won't happen overnight- assuming that even the O2 saturation in the air is low and we don't have much of an atmosphere, we'd have to set up small camps and greenhouses, grow our own crops, and upgrade from canned food to livestock as we expand and the climate becomes more hospitable. It's going to be a downsize- no malls, no big cities, no keeping up with trends and every little release of some new song or electronic device, but it will be a peaceful and worthwhile one. Some are mentioning that we deserve to perish with the planet that we are tainting, but I'd rather not pay the debts my forefathers incurred and live larger. People residing on earth have their systems and habits, but hopefully with a slow, gradual introduction to a new planet, we can also gradually put better systems in place free of the things preventing them being developed here in the first place (eg; using solar panels instead of fossil fuels, etc) and that the other folk coming after can adapt and sustain that better form of living.
    S K Y K I N G
    It is said to have lived for hundreds of millions of years in the earth's ozone layer, above the clouds.
    Its existence had been completely unknown because it lived so high in the sky.
    Likes The Cat, Luminous liked this post

🌒🌕🌘

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Grey View Post
    I will answer with several assumptions based off the implications in OP. I will go, specifically because it mentions terraforming. I would like to think that if humanity really has found another planet, we'd not just throw anyone there willy-nilly and send things that are more sustainable and good for the planet, especially if we had to expend effort terraforming it.

Assuming I could even perform the work, provisioned (quiet) living in a new space with a select amount of skilled volunteers doesn't sound too bad. It won't happen overnight- assuming that even the O2 saturation in the air is low and we don't have much of an atmosphere, we'd have to set up small camps and greenhouses, grow our own crops, and upgrade from canned food to livestock as we expand and the climate becomes more hospitable. It's going to be a downsize- no malls, no big cities, no keeping up with trends and every little release of some new song or electronic device, but it will be a peaceful and worthwhile one. Some are mentioning that we deserve to perish with the planet that we are tainting, but I'd rather not pay the debts my forefathers incurred and live larger. People residing on earth have their systems and habits, but hopefully with a slow, gradual introduction to a new planet, we can also gradually put better systems in place free of the things preventing them being developed here in the first place (eg; using solar panels instead of fossil fuels, etc) and that the other folk coming after can adapt and sustain that better form of living.
    A chance to make a world green. to farm on another planet. Seems amazing.

Likes Luminous liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

I read a book about terraforming Mars once.

It was very interesting. Not sure if it would be something I’d want to do though.
    Chase the adventure. Cherish the joy.

Cu·ri·ous
    adjective
    1. Eager to know or learn something.
    2. Strange; unusual.

INTP ~ 9w1 2w1 5w6 so/sx ~ Burned Hufflepuff
    Ti > Fe > Fi > Si > Ne = Se > Te = Ni

Enneagram
    Ƌ

Quote Originally Posted by Yuu View Post

We should be using our technology to fix the problems we’ve created here rather than just move on to another planet to continue consuming and squandering resources. If I had any faith that humanity had or will learn a lesson, I might agree that we deserve a second chance. But w3 haven’t and we wont. As soon as we find another place to ravage that’s exactly what we’ll do.

While I get the sentiment, we need to continue to explore and research, and not just for the sake of expanding our reach. It is essential for basic scientific research across many fields. Biology, chemistry, physics, psychology, engineering. There's a surprising amount of things we can and need to learn for space exploration that have direct implications into bettering our planet and fixing the problems we have already caused. To not explore actually brings us closer to a planatary failure. Also, consider that there is almost certainly no complex life on the worlds we could reasonably colonize in the next few centuries (the moon and mars). The biggest argument against using the resources on another world would be if we were to cause harm to conscious life. If there is none though, and therefore nothing to harm... then why not? It seems almost like a no brainer and I can't really think of another argument against why we wouldn't.

Also, just because we are investing in going further into space in a more rooted manner doesn't mean we will lack the resources to tend to our issues at home. Obviously much more needs to be put into the earth cause, well, things are dire, but we could also sell ourselves short or even our survival/legacy if we don't expand further (or rather, try to).

If humanity can survive for another few centuries and not undergo an intellectual dark ages then I actually do have hope that as a species we will significantly reduce the harm by plundering that we tend to cause. We already have learned so much about what makes us tick psychologically, why people act in bad ways, and that research is only going to continue and accelerate. With this wealth of knowledge we absolutely do have the tools to better our behavior collectively over time. Will we get there? I can't say for sure, but I can't say for sure that we won't either, and it seems pretty even in which way it could go. There is a chance we can collectively learn from our past mistakes and cease repeating them on such a grand scale.

Additionally, if we broaden our prospective past earth, consider that to our knowledge we are the most advanced evolutionary point within the known universe. Nothing else has even come close. The most complex emergent property thus far. Our complexity is worth preserving. Sure, we could argue the universe doesn't have a purpose and thus there is no point in trying to preserve the most complex point so far, but arguing that we deserve to burn is coming from a feeling place as well and would additionally result in a loss of information. To me, loss of information is one of the worst things that can occur. Without information, it is far far harder to find meaning.
    This is Hard, I have changed my name. I'll keep this in my signature for a while until people remember and I can *finally* get rid of that terrible username, lol.

-----under construction | ʞıhēɯ ynzıbɔqewu-----

xwı̄mnı̄ʟy cebᴊe, ru ƌāk sod ʞukɔnzᴊon̂ẋy pıżıⱶ, ƌāk sod ʞukɔnzᴊon̂ẋy ȷuᴛeʌıⱶ. ʌ̇ı̄ gone, zas ynᴛɔdyzıⱶ.

MBTI
    iNTJ
    Enneagram
    513 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Yuu View Post

Technically we can actually do both.
    On the other hand there wouldn't be fully independent colony on Mars for a least another 100 years. Which is actually the most friendly place for humans in the whole solar system with the exception of Earth. While on the other hand our problems on this planet are very present and imminent and we will have to face them regardless of what everyone really thinks about it. By the time we get to Mars colonialism era we will ether fix our local problems or have mostly dead planet. Which even in that state would still be more friendly place than Mars.

I think that people underestimate how hard it will be to build the new infrastructure/civilization on the planet that has Antarctic like temperatures, no breathable atmosphere, questionable water supply, maybe it lacks many materials needed in it's soil/ore, there is no ozone layer as far as I understand, at it's closest Earth is just a few dozen million miles away ... etc. This isn't a picnic or another exploration overseas, this is a whole new level of challenge. Which is exactly why we must not destroy what we have here ... there really is no planet B at the moment.

Come on cohaagen

Gib dizz pee pool ayuhhr

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ? None

You might like watching the Netflix Mars documentary - https://www.netflix.com/title/80144355
    They talk about all the challenges they foresee in colonizing Mars, including political, psychological, and dealing with business wanting to exploit the resources above all else.
    After seeing that myself, I don't think I would go to Mars for colonizing; it sounds very dangerous and psychologically isolating and only worthwhile for resources (which is kind of not worthwhile to me). But it would probably be really fun to explore, being completely untapped by human influence.
    We are Bob.

I protest my post to Cohaagen being moved. It was totally related to getting asses to mars.