• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Weird Science

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I Took a Dump the Same Way the Apollo Astronauts did - and Dear God Was It Awful - Jalopnik.com

So, as you can see, taking a shit in space in the Apollo era was awful. Which is why I need to, as best I can, try to do it myself, so I can feel their pain and finally understand.

I reached out to Whirlpool on the very, very off chance they’d still have some Defecation Collection Devices laying around for me to befoul. The person I spoke with on the phone seemed willing to do the research until I foolishly let slip that I was interested in, um, testing one out.

Whirlpool never got back to me.

No matter; if there’s one piece of Apollo-era space hardware that I have any chance of replicating in my own little workshop, this is it. I set out to duplicate, as close as I could, the Fecal Collection Bag, and I think I pulled it off.​

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nuts bouncing back and forth.

The spring attached to the Lego is interesting, I think.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Extreme elements push the boundaries of the periodic table

The most interesting part, as far as I am concerned:

For nuclei crammed with 100-plus protons, a special type of physics takes center stage. Electrons zip around these giant nuclei, sometimes surpassing 80 percent the speed of light. According to Einstein’s special theory of relativity, when particles move that fast, they seem to gain mass. That property changes how closely the electrons hug the nucleus, and as a result, how easily the atoms share electrons to produce chemical reactions. In such atoms, “relativity rules, and standard common wisdom breaks down,” says nuclear physicist Witold Nazarewicz of Michigan State University in East Lansing. “We have to write new textbooks on those atoms.”

Getting heavy
The nucleus of superheavy oganesson has 118 protons and many neutrons (blue and red). Its 118 electrons (green) surround the nucleus. Carbon, which is much lighter, contains just six protons and six electrons (not to scale).

T. TIBBITTS
Some of the periodic table’s more familiar elements are already affected by special relativity. The theory explains why gold has a yellowish hue and why mercury is liquid at room temperature (SN: 2/18/17, p. 11). “Without relativity, a car would not start,” says theoretical chemist [Pekka Pyykkö of the University of Helsinki. The reactions that power a car battery depend on special relativity.

Hmm, I always only thought of relativity as only being relevant at an astronomical scale. It never occurred to me that it might be at work in atoms.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, not the mediocre at best 80s movie, but anything that sends a tickle through your cerebral cortex or straight up gives you a full on nerd boner.

There are no rules in this thread other than do not criticize or mock anyone for sharing something that you already knew and assumed everyone else to already know.
We all start somewhere, and knowledge is power.

I LOVE that movie. It's one of my favorites

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I saw this story on last night's episode of "The Unexplained" with William Shatner. This phenomenon is called "acquired savant syndrome".

Stroke of Genius: How Derek Amato Became a Musical Savant

"Derek is one of just a few dozen known "sudden savants" or "accidental geniuses"—people who survive severe head injuries and come out the other side with special gifts for music or math or art. We were skeptical, so we brought Derek into a studio and asked him to play. He can't read music or even play "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star," but the music he improvises is beautiful."

Slap a habit on a hamster and call it Bertrille! I’m now officially staying the F out of this arachnid happy thread.

Tengri

This one always comes to mind:
The "gay bomb" and "halitosis bomb" are formal names for two non-lethal psychochemical weapons that a United States Air Force research laboratory speculated about producing. The theories involve discharging female sex pheromones over enemy forces in order to make them sexually attracted to each other.

In 1994 the Wright Laboratory in Ohio, a predecessor to today's United States Air Force Research Laboratory, produced a three-page proposal on a variety of possible nonlethal chemical weapons, which was later obtained by the Sunshine Project through a Freedom of Information Act request.
This stuff reads like a junior high science report
Body odor remote-engineering, involving compounds found in halitosis and hyperhidrosis, was another possibility discussed. Again, these effects would be produced by a non-lethal chemical weapon—possibly one that would affect the hormonal and digestive systems. It appears that a 'heavy sweating bomb', 'flatulence bomb' and 'halitosis bomb' were also considered by a committee at the time. The plan was to make an enemy so smelly they could be quite literally sniffed out of hiding by their opponents.
Heh, human ingenuity

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Stoned wallabies make crop circles

"The one interesting bit that I found recently in one of my briefs on the poppy industry was that we have a problem with wallabies entering poppy fields, getting as high as a kite and going around in circles,"

Wallabies look like giant rats that hop around; scary monsters they have in NZ and Australia.

EllevenSevenSounds

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NT
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Saw a lot of genetic experiments conducted in the alleys of Chicago. Have no proof but must of been since the rat rapping my window was the size of a cougar. Could see it's muscle sinew tighten under the moonlight as the sap bastard flexed. Bang bang...didn't shoot him as I don't own a heater but gosh darn where da heck dey makin dese mathusalas?

EllevenSevenSounds

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NT
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The other day was just skipping along outside hipster village, gyro in hand, when I came across a long metal pole bent like the handle of an umbrella.
Attached to the end of this thick steel bending pole was a lense. The entire construct rotated about its center pivoting too and hither according to pedestrian traffic. I looked at the long straight part of the pole and it seemed to be welded around a gyroscope into the concrete ground as I traced it with my eyes to the base. Must of been there a while since the weeds grew around it.

i paid a bum five dollah's to go spray paint the lense black. I figured it would obfuscate the view of any said observer foxing them to reveal themselves during a repair or swap of the lense. Before I could pass him the fin, as he crossed the street towards me, a black van screeched over and sucked him in. Must have been five hands that came out the back and threw the poor bum in the cargo bag.

The hipsters are being observed. Wonder who is watching.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Saw a lot of genetic experiments conducted in the alleys of Chicago. Have no proof but must of been since the rat rapping my window was the size of a cougar. Could see it's muscle sinew tighten under the moonlight as the sap bastard flexed. Bang bang...didn't shoot him as I don't own a heater but gosh darn where da heck dey makin dese mathusalas?

I could really go for a fully loaded Chicago dog right now if ya catch what I'm pitchin.

Also, please don't tell me your avatar was taken in 1985.

EllevenSevenSounds

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NT
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I could really go for a fully loaded Chicago dog right now if ya catch what I'm pitchin.

Also, please don't tell me your avatar was taken in 1985.

Yeah, you basically want what people in Chicago call a hot dog with onions and mustard that's a little well done on an onion bun with sesame seeds. But if you put katchup on it someone might cut you.

No it wasn't. I was born in 85. When were you born Chica?