• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Weird Science

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
No, not the mediocre at best 80s movie, but anything that sends a tickle through your cerebral cortex or straight up gives you a full on nerd boner.

There are no rules in this thread other than do not criticize or mock anyone for sharing something that you already knew and assumed everyone else to already know.
We all start somewhere, and knowledge is power.

Permabanned
tenor.gif

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
No, not the mediocre at best 80s movie, but anything that sends a tickle through your cerebral cortex or straight up gives you a full on nerd boner.

There are no rules in this thread other than do not criticize or mock anyone for sharing something that you already knew and assumed everyone else to already know.
We all start somewhere, and knowledge is power.
The Ig Nobel Prize - brought to you by the Annals of Improbable Research. Improbable Research

List of Ig Nobel Prize winners - Wikipedia

A few of my favorites:

• Economics – Presented to Gauri Nanda of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, for inventing Clocky, an alarm clock that runs away and hides, repeatedly, thus ensuring that people get out of bed, and thus theoretically adding many productive hours to the workday.
  • Literature: Garda Síochána for writing and presenting more than 50 traffic tickets to a Polish individual, by the name of "Prawo Jazdy". Mr. "Jazdy" was widely thought to be the most frequent driving offender in Ireland, until an investigation uncovered the fact that Prawo Jazdy is the Polish term for "Driving License"
  • Acoustics: Kazutaka Kurihara and Koji Tsukada for creating the SpeechJammer – a machine that disrupts a person's speech by making them hear their own spoken words at a very slight delay.
  • Physics: Marc-Antoine Fardin, for using fluid dynamics to probe the question "Can a Cat Be Both a Solid and a Liquid?"
  • Medicine: Marc Mitchell and David Wartinger, for using roller coaster rides to try to hasten the passage of kidney stones.

Weird Science mediocre at best? Kelly Lebrock (In 1985) was not mediocre. And what about the amazing Bill Paxton (RIP) as the dickhead older brother Chet, soon after to portray the immortal wisecracking colonial marine Hudson in James Cameron’s 1986 classic Aliens?

For shame young lady! For shame.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I enjoyed the 90s tv series reboot of the 80s movie (which was itself something of a reboot of the 60s TV series "I Dream Of Jeanie" thereby bringing the show back to its TV series roots) that aired on TNT or USA (I don't recall which). My favorite episode was the one that highlighted transgenderism by turning the boys into beautiful women, wherein they spent most of the episode squeezing their own pecs in the mirror.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Weird Science mediocre at best? Kelly Lebrock (In 1985) was not mediocre. And what about the amazing Bill Paxton (RIP) as the dickhead older brother Chet, soon after to portray the immortal wisecracking colonial marine Hudson in James Cameron’s 1986 classic Aliens?

I actually haven't seen this movie in probably 20+ years, so I just assumed it's in the "mediocre at best" category.

Everything that came out of 1985 is crap.
*whistles awkwardly* :happy2:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Not to mention him wiping out an entire bar as a cocky vampire in "Near Dark." (Damn, he owned that scene.)
Or memorable Master Sergeant Farrell from Science Hill, in "Edge of Tomorrow."

Bill Paxton was/is a national treasure. Booya

I dream of a world where altering your genome is a type of foreplay.
Okay, Brundle Fly. :smile:

Srsly tho... sounds hawt.

Everything that came out of 1985 is crap.
*whistles awkwardly* :happy2:

wtf man
- Back to the Future
- Breakfast Club
- The Goonies
- Brazil
- Clue
- Better Off Dead
- a Nightmare on Elm Street
- Pale freakin' Rider

Okay. So we also had Rambo 2 and Police Academy 2, but dissing 1985 is like lining up Gen X along a wall and shooting us in the head.

Even with the sucky movies like Commando, 1985 had some flair.

---

Getting back on topic, realizing that sea snails have thousands of teeth scares TF out of me. I can't even handle the ocean in general.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=7]Totenkindly[/MENTION] - I was talking about myself. :shrug:

ROFL! Oh. Sorry. I forgot. I'm too damn old.
I was being silly anyway.

• Acoustics: Kazutaka Kurihara and Koji Tsukada for creating the SpeechJammer – a machine that disrupts a person's speech by making them hear their own spoken words at a very slight delay.

Sitting in on lots of office teleconference calls, I would say yeah, that item (when there's a reverb) and my situation with my phone where there is no normal echo from my headset (a regular phone doesn't cause this problem) so it sounds like you're talking into a dead set and wondering whether anyone is hearing you, are both pretty disruptive.

Not to mention him wiping out an entire bar as a cocky vampire in "Near Dark." (Damn, he owned that scene.)
Or memorable Master Sergeant Farrell from Science Hill, in "Edge of Tomorrow."

Bill Paxton was/is a national treasure. Booya

It was finger lickin’ good! Love Near Dark. No sparkling vampires for yours truly, just Severen and his man-opener spurs.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For crazy things, it blew my mind thinking about spaghettification.

(That's when extreme tidal forces end up stretching things into extremely long, extremely thin forms.)
((Kind of like what happens when you fall feet first into a black hole.))
(((Except people aren't made to stretch like that.)))

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
For crazy things, it blew my mind thinking about spaghettification.

(That's when extreme tidal forces end up stretching things into extremely long, extremely thin forms.)
((Kind of like what happens when you fall feet first into a black hole.))
(((Except people aren't made to stretch like that.)))

Saying this without tagging [MENTION=13112]Stigmata[/MENTION] doesn't feel right.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

The first Alien is the best aliens, sorry. Bill Paxton kind of got on my nerves in the second one. I liked it better when it was just a single creature onboard a claustrophobic- ship with a bunch of truckers (basically) rather than lots of them on a planet with a bunch of marines.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Entirely subjective on both counts, sorry.

And 14 year old me watching Aliens and sweating bullets in a theatre in 1986 strongly disagrees with you. It was the second best cinematic experience of my young life. Being 5 in 1977 and seeing Star Wars A New Hope (the Han Solo shot first original cut) being number 1.

Ha, I've never seen either Alien or Aliens in the theaters. I did see the ANH relelease in theaters in 97, though (but I've seen the original cut on video, also).

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus

This is the quality material I am looking for. I am not ashamed to admit that I had a nerdy smile on my face for half of this.

I feel like if we all flushed a gallon of white vinegar down the drain a week, that this problem would be reduced by at least half.

"Tangents" sounds like the title of a heavily Ne podcast.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is the quality material I am looking for. I am not ashamed to admit that I had a nerdy smile on my face for half of this.

I feel like if we all flushed a gallon of white vinegar down the drain a week, that this problem would be reduced by at least half.

"Tangents" sounds like the title of a heavily Ne podcast.

It's just interesting to me that "fat miner" might be a viable career path in the future.

Aw, who am I kidding? Probably only robots will get to be fat miners.