User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Weird Science

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    It's just interesting to me that "fat miner" might be a viable career path in the future.

Aw, who am I kidding? Probably only robots will get to be fat miners.
    Such the pessimist. Aim higher. To the sewer fat!

I believe in you, G.
    Likes The Cat liked this post

blackbird, fly Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    Such the pessimist. Aim higher. To the sewer fat!

I believe in you, G.
    I'll spread my wings and fly.

Wait, emus can't fly.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    I'll spread my wings and fly.

Wait, emus can't fly.
    Cute.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

I Took a Dump the Same Way the Apollo Astronauts did - and Dear God Was It Awful - Jalopnik.com

So, as you can see, taking a shit in space in the Apollo era was awful. Which is why I need to, as best I can, try to do it myself, so I can feel their pain and finally understand.

I reached out to Whirlpool on the very, very off chance they’d still have some Defecation Collection Devices laying around for me to befoul. The person I spoke with on the phone seemed willing to do the research until I foolishly let slip that I was interested in, um, testing one out.

Whirlpool never got back to me.

No matter; if there’s one piece of Apollo-era space hardware that I have any chance of replicating in my own little workshop, this is it. I set out to duplicate, as close as I could, the Fecal Collection Bag, and I think I pulled it off.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Nuts bouncing back and forth.

The spring attached to the Lego is interesting, I think.

-Zhuangzi

For those of you that don't like sleeping at night.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Extreme elements push the boundaries of the periodic table

The most interesting part, as far as I am concerned:

For nuclei crammed with 100-plus protons, a special type of physics takes center stage. Electrons zip around these giant nuclei, sometimes surpassing 80 percent the speed of light. According to Einstein’s special theory of relativity, when particles move that fast, they seem to gain mass. That property changes how closely the electrons hug the nucleus, and as a result, how easily the atoms share electrons to produce chemical reactions. In such atoms, “relativity rules, and standard common wisdom breaks down,” says nuclear physicist Witold Nazarewicz of Michigan State University in East Lansing. “We have to write new textbooks on those atoms.”

Getting heavy
    The nucleus of superheavy oganesson has 118 protons and many neutrons (blue and red). Its 118 electrons (green) surround the nucleus. Carbon, which is much lighter, contains just six protons and six electrons (not to scale).

T. TIBBITTS
    Some of the periodic table’s more familiar elements are already affected by special relativity. The theory explains why gold has a yellowish hue and why mercury is liquid at room temperature (SN: 2/18/17, p. 11). “Without relativity, a car would not start,” says theoretical chemist [Pekka Pyykkö of the University of Helsinki. The reactions that power a car battery depend on special relativity.
    Hmm, I always only thought of relativity as only being relevant at an astronomical scale. It never occurred to me that it might be at work in atoms.

-Zhuangzi

Likes SearchingforPeace liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    No, not the mediocre at best 80s movie, but anything that sends a tickle through your cerebral cortex or straight up gives you a full on nerd boner.

There are no rules in this thread other than do not criticize or mock anyone for sharing something that you already knew and assumed everyone else to already know.
    We all start somewhere, and knowledge is power.
    I LOVE that movie. It's one of my favorites

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639
    Likes SearchingforPeace liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I saw this story on last night's episode of "The Unexplained" with William Shatner. This phenomenon is called "acquired savant syndrome".

Stroke of Genius: How Derek Amato Became a Musical Savant

"Derek is one of just a few dozen known "sudden savants" or "accidental geniuses"—people who survive severe head injuries and come out the other side with special gifts for music or math or art. We were skeptical, so we brought Derek into a studio and asked him to play. He can't read music or even play "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star," but the music he improvises is beautiful."
    Let's see: a bunch of young people rioted and protested 3 weeks ago and now we're seeing spikes in coronavirus in young people. I wonder if it's just a coincidence.