• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Silicon Valley and The New Feudalism: Why the 'Internet of Things' Marks a Return...

???

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
If you use open source software, it doesn't much matter.

I do prefer to view the hardware and software separately, at least. When I buy hardware, whether a phone or a tablet or a computer, it should be completely up to me what software I put on it, and I will acquire that separately. If merchants want to make various options available for preinstallation at the time of purchase - fine, but no default forcing Windows down people's throat with all its adware and bloatware. Same with Android or whatever is on one's phone.

Can you buy open source cell phones though? I'd love that to be a thing. But every phone I've owned had to have the boot loader hacked to install anything other than the proprietary firmware and OS. I'd prefer this extended to hardware too; consumers should get basic service manuals for at least how to disassemble, check, and change out parts, similar to cars.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
But then how would they be able to overcharge us?

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Guys, its just capitalism abolishing personal proprietorship, for the masses, concentrating what remains in a shrinking number of classes.

Guess who considered that foreseeable all the way back at the beginning of the industrial revolution when he and his best bud factory owner saw the earliest examples of steam powered ploughs putting agri-workers of the land and into the new towns and cities?

First name K _ _ L, second name M _ _ X.

The founder of the most murderous ideology in human history, yes, let's use him as a role model.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can you buy open source cell phones though? I'd love that to be a thing. But every phone I've owned had to have the boot loader hacked to install anything other than the proprietary firmware and OS. I'd prefer this extended to hardware too; consumers should get basic service manuals for at least how to disassemble, check, and change out parts, similar to cars.
A couple years ago, people were developing a phone based on linux. I don't think it ever reached the market. So, with phones you do indeed need to do what you suggest and root it. As for HW, I build my own computers, so know them inside out to begin with. I started doing this after realizing how useless most "customer support" from vendors is.

The founder of the most murderous ideology in human history, yes, let's use him as a role model.
Really? I suspect more people have been killed in the name of Jesus Christ than Karl Marx.