User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Databases

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Although a lot of it really interests me in terms of how it is collected and what questions people are trying to answer with it etc. There's a lot of confirmation bias and a lot of research errors and that's before you ever get remotely close to the average reader or street level observer like myself.

Its something I never understood the different times I was at university, we did have statistics classes but it was largely so that the degrees, diplomas and masters I did could claim to be sciences, or so I think, maybe that's cynical, there was only one (the masters) that I thought was created/designed with rigor anyway.

Largely it was about using SPSS and I was lucky that it worked properly when I filled the fields etc. I was very aware at the time that I hadnt properly learned and mastered it as I could not have used it privately to satisfy my curiousity, I did learn a lot of good things about the short falls of quantitative research though.
    A main shortfall is that statistics, like any process, is only as good as its inputs. Garbage in, garbage out. Especially in the social sciences if you don't ask the right questions, or ask them in the right way, it can skew your results and you won't be measuring what you think you are measuring. There is significant room for bias here. Asking one question can even affect how people answer later questions. That doesn't make it a worthless pursuit, just means researchers must have a sound understanding of the limitations of their methodology, and the factors that can influence it.

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    I love databases. Love data. Love statistics. Love insights you can glean from data. Big data analyst is my dream job, because beyond all those numbers and text descriptions, sits an individual human -- a customer, a student, a someone behind a computer screen. The data links us. I want to see you. I want to understand you, and a thousand other yous with some variations. It's ultimately impossible, but it's fascinating.
    I appreciate data and statistics more than most people, but I don't want to be understood by some data analyst I don't even know, and who has no business peering into my personal affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Nice! You're studying or already fully utilizing and just improving?

I know python isn't really a database language...but you can automate queries with it. You could also use PSQL if you're using an oracle product, or the Microsoft version of P-SQL.

I'm learning python slowly as a hobby at the moment, hoping to find some use for it in what I do, but the gap is very large. Most sites sell on python's use in finance, or business, but the truth is the people who run these departments do not like employees automating things. They would rather pay consultants to design massive new software, or pair up with companies like SAP to automate it according to their own paradigms. That way they get the credit for it.
    I am somewhere in between with respect to Python. I did some online training, and am working now to apply it to my work, specifically the task of scientific calculations and modelling. So, I use scipy, numpy, etc.
    They are quite gentle, really, but people avoid them because they are a bit . . . different.
    Likes JAVO liked this post

The Chinese Communist Party is putting up video cameras all over China and are building a data base for every Chinese. And the Chinese Communist Party has imprisoned one million Chinese muslims in concentration camps. And considering that this same Communist Party has killed fifty million Chinese, I wouldn't feel too hopeful for the million imprisoned Chinese muslims.

And the Communist Party of China is making sophisticated attempts to interfere with and control Australian democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    A main shortfall is that statistics, like any process, is only as good as its inputs. Garbage in, garbage out. Especially in the social sciences if you don't ask the right questions, or ask them in the right way, it can skew your results and you won't be measuring what you think you are measuring. There is significant room for bias here. Asking one question can even affect how people answer later questions. That doesn't make it a worthless pursuit, just means researchers must have a sound understanding of the limitations of their methodology, and the factors that can influence it.
    Well-said.

I am somewhere in between with respect to Python. I did some online training, and am working now to apply it to my work, specifically the task of scientific calculations and modelling. So, I use scipy, numpy, etc.
    One of the biggest advantages of Python is that there's at least one library for almost everything from numeric and genetic analysis to automating a house or vehicle. That's one of the reasons it has become one of my favorite languages over the past year.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I'm learning python slowly as a hobby at the moment, hoping to find some use for it in what I do, but the gap is very large. Most sites sell on python's use in finance, or business, but the truth is the people who run these departments do not like employees automating things. They would rather pay consultants to design massive new software, or pair up with companies like SAP to automate it according to their own paradigms. That way they get the credit for it.
    You can always automate your own work, doing it way faster and better than everyone else. I work in a group which does software development and data analysis, and I'm the only one who uses Python. It has allowed me to do things slightly faster and better even among people who know how to write their own code and use other tools to automate things. I'm bragging only about Python.

Remember, Humanity. A Radiant Dawn's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    379 sp/sx

I just want to weigh in that I find python to be annoying and prefer Java.
    Always forward, never back!

"I always love talking to people and hearing their story. People always have a good life story to tell ya know?"

Today is the beginning, and tomorrow is the beginning of everything else.

March on, life's too grand to let things get you down for long. It's a beautiful place and we're so blessed to be here.

I am a person of fortune and I must seek my fortune.

My blog

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Le Paul View Post
    Why?
    They are quite gentle, really, but people avoid them because they are a bit . . . different.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    The Chinese Communist Party is putting up video cameras all over China and are building a data base for every Chinese. And the Chinese Communist Party has imprisoned one million Chinese muslims in concentration camps. And considering that this same Communist Party has killed fifty million Chinese, I wouldn't feel too hopeful for the million imprisoned Chinese muslims.

And the Communist Party of China is making sophisticated attempts to interfere with and control Australian democracy.
    Mole the Chinese Communist Party Central Committee ARE the Australian democracy.

- - - Updated - - -

Why?
    As coffees go I like Java too, I dont know what this Python is like.

Remember, Humanity. A Radiant Dawn's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    379 sp/sx

I'm self-taught, and I kept on getting told that Python was an easily language to start with that was powerful. I use it for an engine in my game development and writing ventures, but I just find it annoying.
    Always forward, never back!

"I always love talking to people and hearing their story. People always have a good life story to tell ya know?"

Today is the beginning, and tomorrow is the beginning of everything else.

March on, life's too grand to let things get you down for long. It's a beautiful place and we're so blessed to be here.

I am a person of fortune and I must seek my fortune.

My blog

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Mole the Chinese Communist Party Central Committee ARE the Australian democracy. - - - Updated - - - As coffees go I like Java too, I dont know what this Python is like.
    You have an unhealthy obsession with me so I am putting you on Ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Le Paul View Post
    ^ He likes to brace his code well.