• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Black and death metal

DarthMaul

Was wondering if anyone know of any STP or NTP musicians in death or black metal bands

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
It's very rare to come across an ST in music at all.

I haven't done too broad of a survey regarding the types of metal musicians, but my impression is that:

INFJ is going to be the most common type. INFJ is probably the most common type for a musician in general, especially male. Heavy metal is more NP though. Black metal is where the INFJs are going to play the biggest role I suspect, since it's rather mystical and emotional music. With Death Metal I suspect there are a significant number of NTs since the music has more of a focus on technicality than on a broad range of emotional expressiveness, though I suspect that Death Metal is still a very J genre, so it's more the NTJs.

Where the NTPs would be find in metal... I suspect something that doesn't have too forceful of an approach and is more about calm technicality. I'll do some searching.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
A list of metal musicians' types as I go through them today:

Death Metal
Chuck Schuldiner: INFP
Trey Azagthoth: INTP
David Vincent: ENTJ
Paul Masvidal: ENTP
Luc Lemay: ENFP
Glen Benton: INTJ
Chris Barnes: INTP
Corpsegrinder: ENTJ
Terrance Hobbs: ENFJ

Black Metal
Ihsahn: INFJ
Fenriz: ENFP
Varg Vikernes: INFJ
Necrobutcher: INFJ
Nergal: INFJ
Vortex: ENFP
Hellhammer: ENTJ

(not spending much time on the reads so expect errors)

So far: more NPs in death metal than I expected

The closest person to being SP I've seen so far is Hellhammer. YouTube

So, very preliminarily speaking, we might be seeing a wide range of Intuitive types in Death Metal (very NT as far as musical genres go), but mostly NFTS in Black Metal.

Well, that's 16 reads, and a candidate for all 8 intuitive types, so I'll leave it there for today.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Why not both? :D Btw Metal as genre is peaty much INTP, ISTP, INFJ, INTJ and ESTP. :)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why not both? :D Btw Metal as genre is peaty much INTP, ISTP, INFJ, INTJ and ESTP. :)

I've actually never been able to get into metal, unless you count Black Sabbath, which kind of borders acid rock.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
I've actually never been able to get into metal, unless you count Black Sabbath, which kind of borders acid rock.

Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Motorhead... Heavy Metal. Black Sabbath invented the genre. :D

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Cynic is basically what I thought of when I thought NTP death metal.

YouTube

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What about Gaahl?
Curious as to what type he is

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
What about Gaahl?
Curious as to what type he is

Heh, I almost typed Gaahl when I was doing the reads before, I skipped looking him up for whatever reason.

I'd say he's another INFJ black metaller.

In terms of my vocal analysis approach, I'm seeing a lot of speculative honing, and a lot of pushing. I'd say the pushes are emotional - a sinister kind of emotion - and the draws he does tend to have a crackling tone to them which I associate with Thinking (Ti crackles when it is pausing, like "uhhh" whereas Te sometimes crackles as it's enunciating, that's what I've seen so far anyway).

General introverted energy too, I would say.

YouTube

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks [MENTION=22833]Legion[/MENTION]. I'm a huge fan of his work with Wardruna.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Thanks [MENTION=22833]Legion[/MENTION]. I'm a huge fan of his work with Wardruna.

I'd never heard of Wardruna.

It's interesting that there is a connection between Paganism and Satanism, e.g. the same person in Black Metal might be into both.

I wonder what these ideologies have in common besides both being contrary to Christianity? There's some major link that I'm missing.

DarthMaul

Sorry some are not death or black metal

ABBATH from Immortal l- defintely a Extp

Johan hegg from amon amarth- enfp or enfj

Galder from dimmu borgir- intp

Shagarath from dimmu borgir- comes off as a intj

Nergal from behemoth- entp or estp

Mikael akerfeldt from opeth- infj

Kerry king- istp

Lemmy- estp

Infernus- intj

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's interesting that there is a connection between Paganism and Satanism, e.g. the same person in Black Metal might be into both.

I wonder what these ideologies have in common besides both being contrary to Christianity? There's some major link that I'm missing.

Gaahl is an... interesting individual. Lol. He's into a lot of different things...

I don't think there's any real link to "paganism," as you call it, and Satanism. Asatru, which Gaahl practices, may have similarities in certain rituals, but the comparison ends there. Gorgoroth was one of the many bands in Norway at the time labeling themselves as a "Satanist" band, primarily for shock value and publicity. None of these people are actually Satanists; from the looks of it, they are atheists/agnostics or subscribe to some form of Odinism or Asatru beliefs.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
ABBATH from Immortal l- defintely a Extp

ENFP. I'm hearing Fi and Te.

Johan hegg from amon amarth- enfp or enfj

I think ENFJ.

Galder from dimmu borgir- intp

Definitely NP, I think ENFP.

Shagarath from dimmu borgir- comes off as a intj

He comes across as a J, but I'd say he's ENFP.

Silenoz seems ENFP, too.

Nergal from behemoth- entp or estp

As mentioned before, I believe him to be INFJ.

Mikael akerfeldt from opeth- infj
Possibly INFJ or possibly INFP. NF with prominent introverted judgement.

Kerry king- istp

This surprised me: you actually might be right.

Tom Araya is probably an ENFP, so I thought the whole band would probably be NF, but King does have an inward drawing voice that sounds fact-checking.

Lemmy- estp

He speaks open-endedly, probably more Te+Fi, so ENFP.

Infernus- intj

INFJ. There's Fe and Ti alternation in his voice.

edit: Kerry King is actually an FJ

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Gaahl is an... interesting individual. Lol. He's into a lot of different things...

I don't think there's any real link to "paganism," as you call it, and Satanism. Asatru, which Gaahl practices, may have similarities in certain rituals, but the comparison ends there. Gorgoroth was one of the many bands in Norway at the time labeling themselves as a "Satanist" band, primarily for shock value and publicity. None of these people are actually Satanists; from the looks of it, they are atheists/agnostics or subscribe to some form of Odinism or Asatru beliefs.

Hmm I'm pretty sure there is a fair bit of legitimate Satanism within the Black Metal community. I don't know enough about it though to say who's who.

So there's the thing about rituals. I associate Satanic rituals with summoning Dark forces in some way. Do you know of the relationship between paganism (whatever variant thereof) and dark forces?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I've found a Sensor in metal. Phil Anselmo of Pantera seems to be an ESFP.

DarthMaul

I've found a Sensor in metal. Phil Anselmo of Pantera seems to be an ESFP.
Lol you really seem to think most death and black metal musician's are F's. I'm not saying this is in a mean way just merely observational. I do disagree though. If you look around online you will see
He's (phil) been typed estp along with kerry king and lemmy as xSTP. I've never seen Kerry king or lemmy not typed STP. I've met Kerry king on a few occasions concerts and reptile conventions and he seems very istp.

gaahl is a intj. Watch his interview on headbangers journey. Also Hatred for humanity isn't something ive generally seen coming from a fj but I'm not the best typer but these I feel certain of.

Abbath also any interview (kerrang, or his interviews about his solo band)comes off entp.

Devin townsend- ENTx

David brockie from gwar- entp

Glenn Benton from decide- ixtx

Alexi lahio from children of bodom- ESTP this one I'm sure.

Quorthon bathory- ENFJ

Jon Nodtveidt from Dissection - INTP

Euronymous- Xntj

Varg aslo seems like a tj

Mikael Stanne Dark Tranquility istp

Chriegel Glanzmann from eluvitie(sorry spelling) istj or ESTJ.

Also the singer for Marduk seems like istj or intj

Btw it's awesome to see someone who seems to like metal and know their stuff

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
[MENTION=38218]StarWarsFan[/MENTION]

Actually, I typed the majority of death metal musicians as NTs.

Quorthon - ENTJ (perhaps strong Fi, as is often seen in creative ENTJs)
Jon Nodtveidt - INTP (certainly lots of Ti)

The thing about what people have been typed as by external sources... is that most people are incompetent at typing.

What are you basing your typings off? Like when you say someone "comes off" as a certain type, how do you know that what they're coming off as is actually related to that type?

edit: Like "hatred for humanity" not being a trait of certain FJs... the fact that it's a hatred as you termed it suggests that it's an emotionally charged judgement, which indicates a Feeling function.

A TJ might be a critic of society, where their judgments are based in logic, not emotion. They wouldn't be likely to be passionate about the issue, whereas an FJ is likely to be.

DarthMaul

[MENTION=38218]StarWarsFan[/MENTION]

Actually, I typed the majority of death metal musicians as NTs.

Quorthon - ENTJ (perhaps strong Fi, as is often seen in creative ENTJs)
Jon Nodtveidt - INTP (certainly lots of Ti)

The thing about what people have been typed as by external sources... is that most people are incompetent at typing.

What are you basing your typings off? Like when you say someone "comes off" as a certain type, how do you know that what they're coming off as is actually related to that type?

edit: Like "hatred for humanity" not being a trait of certain FJs... the fact that it's a hatred as you termed it suggests that it's an emotionally charged judgement, which indicates a Feeling function.

A TJ might be a critic of society, where their judgments are based in logic, not emotion. They wouldn't be likely to be passionate about the issue, whereas an FJ is likely to be.

You can hate something and still not be a F. Everyone has feelings and emotions.

I've met,interviewed Kerry king. He's a istp. He's practice practice till perfect. It's all technical for him.
He's very hands on the way he talks about his reptiles he sale and breeds. Also heavily into football watching and playing for fun. Wants things done now. Most things he's talks about are factual and not abstract. Just strikes me istp. Me being a STP also helps.

I base my typings off of interviews and biographies.

You also say a tj critic MIGHT. That's the key word which implies the tj doesn't have to which goes back to the hate thing I brought up earlier

Also just check out gaahl interview on headbangers journey and the documentary on vice. Just screams intj.

Also I won't change your mind and you won't change mine. As most of this is just speculative in general. But it's good to see that someone loves metal.