• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Figures in Grunge

Introspector

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A place to type notable grunge artists! Off the top of my head...

Kurt: INFP

Layne Staley: ISFP

Jerry Cantrell: INTJ

Dave Grohl: ESFP

Chris Cornell: ISFP

Scott Weiland: ISFP

Notable grunge bands include:

-Nirvana
-Pearl Jam
-Soundgarden
-Alice in Chains
-Stone Temple Pilots
-Bush (they suck but they're grunge)
-L7
-Mudhoney
-Screaming Trees
-Temple of the Dog
-Mother Love Bone
-Tad
-Hole
-Melvins

Get posting!

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Eddie Vedder, maybe INFJ? I heard somewhere that Dave was an INFJ.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Totally off topic but grunge is a fashion I like seeing women in

Seems right from what little I know about some of them.

I think Kurt Cobain was a 4w5, though some believe he was a 5. The instincts are interesting. I remember someone making a pretty convincing case of him being a social 4 once, with one notable factor being how he'd wished his family could be like other "normal" families growing up ever since his parents divorced. And even though he claimed he despised fame, deep down he was really happy to have garnered the acclaim he did. It was a part of the scene to be above fame or anything mainstream. But you know, I think that particular source comes from Courtney Love herself, so who really knows when it comes to her.

Courtney Love is probably an ESTP with a core 7w8 enneagram type and 4/8 fixes. Core 8 is another possibility.

King Buzzo seems like an ENTP based on some of the interviews I've read/seen of him. Others seem to suspect ENTJ though, so could be a possibility I suppose.

Eddie Vedder an ISFP 9?

I'm not at all sure about the rest.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I believe we've had this topic before, but let's type anyway.

Kurt - INFP IEI 4w5 6w7 9w1 sx/sp

Layne - ISFP ESI 4w5 5w4 8w9 sx/so

Eddie - ISFP ESI 9w8 4w3 7w6 so/sx

Chris - ISTP LSI 6w5 3w4 8w7 sp/sx

Dave - ESFP SEE 7w6 3w2 8w9 so/sx

Courtney - ESFP SEE 8w7 3w4 6w5 so/sx

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
YouTube

Kurt's hard to read. I'm pretty sure that he's an INFJ, but what I'm seeing is that he keeps just going straight for the Se. It's not like Eminem who goes through Ni, Fe and Ti and then gets to Se and lingers there - no, Kurt just goes straight for the Se, all jaded-like.

The bit where Dave Grohl is talking about heavy metal - that, to me, is Ni in action. He's probably INFJ, too.

And yeah from this video I can see the Ti'ing when he smiles and then goes straight face, and he has Fe quality to his voice. YouTube

RoRoRabbit

I'm just here to lurk. The melodies of my childhood were grunge & alternative 😊

RoRoRabbit

Sidebar- if Kurt was an INFJ then Courtney definitely killed him. I dont see an INFJ (even a really depressed one) leaving behind their child or inflicting that type of pain on their child. then again I've never done heroin, so who knows how that plays into his mindset... but I think she did it regardless so I could be biased.

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I dont see an INFJ (even a really depressed one) leaving behind their child or inflicting that type of pain on their child.

Are you saying INFJs don't commit suicide?

RoRoRabbit

Are you saying INFJs don't commit suicide?

Well I didn't want to start a debate on suicide/Kurt's alleged suicide but I will try to convey my feelings clearly.

I'm sure anyone from any type can and would commit suicide, everyone is capable. I can only speak for myself and my personal life experiences. I don't think it would be easily/frequently done by INFJs based on my personal views on suicide and assuming I have developed those views as a result of my personality type. Maybe not all INFJs feel the same way as I but even in the lowest moments of desperation in my life, when I wanted my own pain to end, I thought about the pain it would cause others and that sentiment always prevailed. I cannot speak to everyone/for everyone that is an INFJ, and again, who knows how heroin would affect that mindset, but it is my personal opinion that Kurt Cobain did not kill himself and that is based upon more than his personality type. But again, none of us lived his life, so its only speculation. I do think that his personality type gives further evidence to my already established belief that he did not kill himself but perhaps that's only because I identify with him as an INFJ and I have established views on suicide whereby others > self.

My sentiment is that, as a mother and an INFJ, if Kurt is typed correctly, I would think that thoughts of his daughter would prevail before he would commit suicide. Regardless of the insurmountable pain you are in, your children's feelings and happiness comes first (and I know that's not a sentiment that's exclusive to INFJs, but certainly the weight of that life probably feels a little heavier especially when thinking about suicide). Also, if he was leaving Courtney and felt that she was crazy, he would not have left his daughter with her. If he had committed to killing himself, he would have done some things to ensure the future well being of his daughter, in my personal opinion. I don't think suicide is a spontaneous decision, an INFJ would take lightly. (again, Heroin is a factor here, and I don't know how that plays into his mindset, though most of the heroin addicts I know are not suicidal or want to die as far as I know.) Plus he had recent attempts at getting clean right before he died, someone who wants to die isn't going to bother with rehab.

But I said I was a little biased, not sure if you have seen Soaked in Bleach, I believe it's on Netflix.

Edited to Add: Of course anyone could make any argument they want (regarding Kurt Cobain), just giving my 2 cents.

I also don't want to come across as saying "suicide is selfish" which after reading over my post I see that that message might be conveyed. I do not think that way at all. I think many people who commit suicide see it as a means to an end (of pain). I'm sure in some cases it is well thought out and planned and in others it is more of a spontaneous decision. I empathize very deeply with those who feel they have no other option and only wish more people would recognize that others are struggling and may need help. Some people do not feel comfortable asking for help or feel that no one understands or cares, and I find that extremely heartbreaking. More than I can convey in words.

RoRoRabbit

Another thing I would like to add with regard to Cobain. Again mostly speculation but an interesting thought I had. While he despised the fame, he had an outlet for his pain. His music resonated with millions of fans, who I'm sure were not shy about conveying to him just how much his music had helped them or impacted them. That in itself would be a reason for an INFJ to live, because although at the pinnacle of his success he had to deal with all of the negativities that resulted from that success (money, fame, gossip, etc) he was now in the ultimate position to help others. And I'm sure as much as those negative aspects weighed on him a bit, being in that type of position to influence and help others by doing what he loved, would have outweighed the negatives by far.
Again just my humble opinion. 😊

rav3n

Kurt Cobain - ISFP since he's all up in Se, evidencing risky behaviors since he was a little kid.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Kurt was an INxP. And I read his biography and learned that although he claimed he hated fame, in fact, he really loved it and called MTV asking them to play his videos more often.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was surprised no one mentioned Failure, one of the most criminally overlooked bands of the grunge and post-grunge era. If we can mention Bush, surely Failure's members at least deserve a quick consideration. Ken Andrews really took grunge to another level and merged it with other rock subgenres like space rock and noise rock in a way that was fairly unique for the time.

Also, I'd be curious if anyone had thoughts on members from Local H. They didn't really break into the mainstream until after the initial grunge wave had passed, but they'd been playing since '87, which makes them contemporaries of the other grunge bands.

And Pavement's earliest EPs, plus their first album, are considered grunge recordings by some--listen to "Frontwards" or "Kentucky Cocktail" if you have any doubts. Anyone have thoughts on their members' types? Shit, they even used a similar font to Nirvana, and I'd allege they were ripping them off except for the fact that their first records were coming out circa '89 and '90. Maybe Nirvana lifted the font from Pavement ;) I'm pretty sure they were aware of one another's existences.

It just becomes tedious when these discussions almost always seem to gravitate mostly towards Kurt Cobain's type.