• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[e7] Tate Langdon (AHS)

I Tonya

Rythym of the night
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was reading type 7 when I asked myself, "Who does this sound like?" I REALIZED OMG THAT REMINDS ME OF TATE FROM A HORROR SHOW I WATCHED FEW YEARS AGO. Imma actually cry if this is true. I love him so much and will toss any preconceived notions I have about type 7 if he is!!! He might be INFP or ISFP. I don't know his wings, HELP! WHAT DO U THINK???

Children with the Seven pattern feel cut off from the nurturer, causing frustration and anxiety. They feel there was not enough love for them in the family. Sometimes there is someone needier who requires more attention. Sometimes the nurturer is distracted by emotional pain to give to all the children. Their role is to be positive, not need much, and help everyone be happier, particularly the nurturer. As adults they often have a close bond with their mothers.
Type 7 — Enneagram School of Awakening

The reasons I think type 7: given that this is a horror show, so take it with a grain of salt...
The lady ghost who comforted him and gave him love that his family "didn't have enough to give" influenced his actions to make her happy in trying to get her a baby that she wanted. "As adults they often have a close bond with their mothers," he's definitely a mama's boy as he tries to please his bio mom and his surrogate mom. His sarcasm toward Violet's self harm, and their general distaste for "negativity/sad things." He's so playful and teases Violet a lot, and jokes way too much... never taking things seriously even his dark jokes (like scarying the shit outta her friend and whatnot). He hid Violet's body as to not upset her with such terrible circumstances, kinda like keeping her in his "optimistic" world.

RECAP

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ISFP 4w5. He's too intensely connected to his emotions and spends half his time sorrowing about how cruel the world is, I can't imagine him as anything other than a 4. There's nothing optimistic about him, his relationship with Violet is basically 'the rest of the world is awful and everyone is terrible except us'. That's not the positive outlook of a 7.

I Tonya

Rythym of the night
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ISFP 4w5. He's too intensely connected to his emotions and spends half his time sorrowing about how cruel the world is, I can't imagine him as anything other than a 4. There's nothing optimistic about him, his relationship with Violet is basically 'the rest of the world is awful and everyone is terrible except us'. That's not the positive outlook of a 7.
Ok, yes, tho I know a few 7w8 that say that "I could watch the world burn" for a certain amount of reasons... It might be a wing thing. 7w8 are the 'realest.'

"'the rest of the world is awful and everyone is terrible except us'," I see what you mean, what if that's because of all the bad things he experienced? I don't really see type 4 saying those things even tho they could, mostly because they're concerned with their identity... or even e1 with perfection. I see his motivation more than his circumstances.

He seems to be pretty happy, until his therapy sessions, or when he opened up to violet. I can see ISFP, I was thinking INFP due to his anti-social behavior, his over active imagination, him hanging around the house attending and mostly in his own world. THough, the house thing could be because of being a ghost in that house that can never leave. I think his intense emotional expressions are INFP but you're probably right about 4w5... even if he was 4w5 I think his wing would refrain him from being overly emotionally expressive. Also, his deep care and effortless emotionally understanding of Violet with a creative kick, really makes me think INFP.

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ok, yes, tho I know a few 7w8 that say that "I could watch the world burn" for a certain amount of reasons... It might be a wing thing. 7w8 are the 'realest.'

He specifically said he killed people because he viewed it as a merciful act, sparing them of what he saw as a cruel world. That's entirely his emotional, moralistic viewpoint driving his behavior, not the boredom of a 7 or the rage of an 8. Where is there any realism in that? He is consumed by his unhealthy subjective interpretations of everything around him.

"'the rest of the world is awful and everyone is terrible except us'," I see what you mean, what if that's because of all the bad things he experienced? I don't really see type 4 saying those things even tho they could, mostly because they're concerned with their identity... or even e1 with perfection. I see his motivation more than his circumstances.

You can't imagine a type 4 saying that? Every single type 4 I've ever met has said something along those lines or had an apparent cynicism directed towards society. His mother cheating on his father and his father leaving him was traumatic, but there's no way he'd come up with such an extreme pessimism towards humanity while wallowing in self-pity if he was a 7. That's not how an unhealthy 7 behaves, that's how an unhealthy 4 behaves. Also he is emotionally intense and almost immediately professes his love for Violet, showing her his vulnerability right off the bat, something I really can't see a 7 ever doing with such immediate trust and commitment.

The development of his relationship with Violet is a further example of his 4 tendencies. They bond over their mutually bad family history and self-destructive natures, finding solace in how they are different from other people, mostly due to their trauma. That's incredibly 4-ish.

He seems to be pretty happy, until his therapy sessions, or when he opened up to violet. I can see ISFP, I was thinking INFP due to his anti-social behavior, his over active imagination, him hanging around the house attending and mostly in his own world. THough, the house thing could be because of being a ghost in that house that can never leave. I think his intense emotional expressions are INFP but you're probably right about 4w5... even if he was 4w5 I think his wing would refrain him from being overly emotionally expressive. Also, his deep care and effortless emotionally understanding of Violet with a creative kick, really makes me think INFP.

He shot up a school and murdered multiple people long before the events of Murder House, it's a stretch to say he was ever really happy. His therapy sessions, at least the early ones, were him explaining his thought process behind his actions and although we only see him react aggressively in the immediate series when it involved Violet, the plot quite clearly tells us that he was in an unhealthy state of mind long before the Harmon family ever moved in.

I don't see the Ne/Si. He is very reckless, impulsive and prone to worldly delusions that are more likely of low Ni than Si. He is quick to jump into action and desires to enact immediate reactions out of others, the obvious example being the school shooting but he also shows this throughout the series, convincing Violet to trick her bully into entering the home so he could attack and scare her, provoking Ben to react to him with his perverted dialogue about Violet in the therapy session and, of course, his promise and actions for Nora. He is intense and pessimistic like a 4 is, but he doesn't stay caught up in his head as long as an INFP would before acting out on his thoughts. Woah, pretty girl moved into house, I'm going to immediately go and talk to her. A girl at school is messing with you? Tell her to come by so we can teach her a lesson. You want a new baby? No worries, I'll get one for you. He's Se, he never stops to wonder or ponder, he does.

I Tonya

Rythym of the night
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=35569]notmyapples[/MENTION] I see, I find it a little hard to distinguish horror theme from personality qualities and thought processes.

Like the difference between Se and 7 when wanting to interact with someone immediately as in your example.
Is bonding over their mutually bad family history really four-ish mixed vs horror theme or types bonding? or all combined :huh:

I Tonya

Rythym of the night
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He specifically said he killed people because he viewed it as a merciful act, sparing them of what he saw as a cruel world. That's entirely his emotional, moralistic viewpoint driving his behavior, not the boredom of a 7 or the rage of an 8. Where is there any realism in that? He is consumed by his unhealthy subjective interpretations of everything around him.

You can't imagine a type 4 saying that? Every single type 4 I've ever met has said something along those lines or had an apparent cynicism directed towards society. His mother cheating on his father and his father leaving him was traumatic, but there's no way he'd come up with such an extreme pessimism towards humanity while wallowing in self-pity if he was a 7. That's not how an unhealthy 7 behaves, that's how an unhealthy 4 behaves. Also he is emotionally intense and almost immediately professes his love for Violet, showing her his vulnerability right off the bat, something I really can't see a 7 ever doing with such immediate trust and commitment.

so this is how you view him: Reactive Approach (Types 4,6,8)
Enneagram Harmonics

People whose dominant Harmonic approach is the reactive approach are emotionally reactive under stress. They tend to work themselves up when a problem happens and have a hard time containing their feelings. This emotional intensity allows them to feel the "realness" of the problem, even if it is a relatively small one. Venting their frustration allows them to move on to dealing with the issue. Wanting others to see the realness of the problem, they expect others to react emotionally. Such a reaction would confirm that others agree that indeed this is a big deal. If others don't respond in the way the Reactive approach types want, they may become even more frustrated and emotional. The Reactive approach is not naturally trusting of others. They have strong opinions and tastes and want to know where others stand. Their desire for a strong emotional response from others may be a test of trust.

Where as I empathize him trying to meet the needs of others: Positive Outlook Approach (Types 2,7,9)

People whose dominant Harmonic approach is the Positive Outlook approach are generally optimistic and tend to avoid negative thoughts or situations. Under stress, they seek to avoid the problem, distract themselves with something else, or minimize the problem. These types want to feel good and want others around them feel good. They would rather have everyone happy (including themselves) than to deal with problems or negativity (especially in themselves). Unfortunately this approach can lead them to deny the existence of their problems and therefore delay addressing them. These types also have issues with finding a balance between meeting their own needs and meeting the needs of others.

Then it gets to me, what you said about Se wanting to do things and such... vs putting others needs first in the positive outlook. ugh THEY LOOK SIMILAR SO IDK

I wanna believe you, I really do, but this conflict what's where I'm like "what if" plus im set on him being 7 R.I.P

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=35569]notmyapples[/MENTION] I see, I find it a little hard to distinguish horror theme from personality qualities and thought processes.

Like the difference between Se and 7 when wanting to interact with someone immediately as in your example.
Is bonding over their mutually bad family history really four-ish mixed vs horror theme or types bonding? or all combined :huh:

I'm sure the writer used that particular type of discussion to add to the horror feel, but it's not just talking about bad family history that is 4-ish but it's commonplace of 4s to do so because negative happenings can be used to define identity and separate from the flock. Which is why the topics they jump between are that of self-harm, cheating family members and dysfunction. Even though these are depressing and personal topics, Tate finds comfort in them and enjoys emphasizing on those experiences in his conversations with Violet and Ben. 7s may speak about their own trauma in a similarly fleeting way, but that is because they try to block out the emotions of them because of their basic fear of pain, they do not find those emotions comforting like Tate or 4s do.

It's pretty easy to confuse the difference between functions and enneagram, it's simple early on to watch the patterns of behavior. Tate is impulsive like an Se user or a 7, but he shows none of the prominent 7 fears, doesn't have the positive outlook of a 7, doesn't avoid negative emotions like a 7, doesn't appear driven by 7 goals or resemble the unhealthy levels of a 7 very accurately. It's far more likely that his impulsiveness comes from Se, not from being a 7.

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Then it gets to me, what you said about Se wanting to do things and such... vs putting others needs first in the positive outlook. ugh THEY LOOK SIMILAR SO IDK

Just putting others needs first isn't positive outlook, taking care of other's needs so you don't have to deal with the negativity around you is. Again, Tate is driven to help those around him because he cares about them, but never because he is uncomfortable with conflict or negativity. In fact, he often rushes into it. The reason positive outlook types ignore their own needs or negative feelings is because they will forget them because they don't want to deal with or feel them. Tate walks into a room and announces his sad backstory to anyone within earshot.

I Tonya

Rythym of the night
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm sure the writer used that particular type of discussion to add to the horror feel, but it's not just talking about bad family history that is 4-ish but it's commonplace of 4s to do so because negative happenings can be used to define identity and separate from the flock. Which is why the topics they jump between are that of self-harm, cheating family members and dysfunction. Even though these are depressing and personal topics, Tate finds comfort in them and enjoys emphasizing on those experiences in his conversations with Violet and Ben. 7s may speak about their own trauma in a similarly fleeting way, but that is because they try to block out the emotions of them because of their basic fear of pain, they do not find those emotions comforting like Tate or 4s do.

It's pretty easy to confuse the difference between functions and enneagram, it's simple early on to watch the patterns of behavior. Tate is impulsive like an Se user or a 7, but he shows none of the prominent 7 fears, doesn't have the positive outlook of a 7, doesn't avoid negative emotions like a 7, doesn't appear driven by 7 goals or resemble the unhealthy levels of a 7 very accurately. It's far more likely that his impulsiveness comes from Se, not from being a 7.

Just putting others needs first isn't positive outlook, taking care of other's needs so you don't have to deal with the negativity around you is. Again, Tate is driven to help those around him because he cares about them, but never because he is uncomfortable with conflict or negativity. In fact, he often rushes into it. The reason positive outlook types ignore their own needs or negative feelings is because they will forget them because they don't want to deal with or feel them. Tate walks into a room and announces his sad backstory to anyone within earshot.

Ok, fine. For now. If he has wing 5 I really appreciate his character.

Tribute to 4w5 Tate

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I really have no idea how can someone mistaken such an obvious 4 at its most unhealthy and dark levels with an enneagram type 7. My mind's just been blown.