• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Michel Foucault

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Any type conjectures for Mr. Foucault? Or Chomsky while we're at it?

[YOUTUBE="43Ai5WPHqWA"]Foucault vs Chomsky[/YOUTUBE]

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I think Foucault is an ENTJ or ENFJ, I can't decide.

Chomsky, I could see him being INFJ, but I really might lean towards him being a T, an INTP maybe.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I was thinking E-N-X-X but couldn't figure the last two out. Why J?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I was thinking E-N-X-X but couldn't figure the last two out. Why J?

Well he was a Structuralist, that kind of makes me think J right there. And, like in the interview, he talks with a certain exaggerated certainty, while Chomsky appears to be more contemplative in his talking.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
ENTJ for Foucault, see this thread for Chomsky discussion. I think we ended up typing him as INTP.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Yeah, I can see ENTJ for Foucault. His appearance seems to suggest it as well.

Usehername

On a mission
Definitely a xxTx... I think to enjoy abstract thinking so much he has to be an xNTx (which isn't to say that an S couldn't argue like him, but rather I don't think an S could devote so much time studying and thinking someone so intangible). So xNTx.

He strikes me as the annoying sort of T, which means he's more likely to be xNTP. :alttongue:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
He strikes me as the annoying sort of T, which means he's more likely to be xNTP. :alttongue:

uhh, what's more annoying than a know-it-all ENTJ?

After T, I'd say E is the most obvious. But maybe he just gets excited and extroverted when in the public intellectual realm, I'd have to see him in another element.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Yeah, I think E is almost definite with him.

Here he isn't technically in "public", and he has that same outgoing sort of energy.

[YOUTUBE="kAwWwQZ_3FQ"]Foucault[/YOUTUBE]

Usehername

On a mission
uhh, what's more annoying than a know-it-all ENTJ?

After T, I'd say E is the most obvious. But maybe he just gets excited and extroverted when in the public intellectual realm, I'd have to see him in another element.

ENTJ is less annoying to me because I can sense where they're headed and debate easier. INTPs are more annoying because I can't see where they're headed as easily, and I'm not good with improvisational rebuttals.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
ENTJ is less annoying to me because I can sense where they're headed and debate easier. INTPs are more annoying because I can't see where they're headed as easily, and I'm not good with improvisational rebuttals.

The rebuttals of NTJ's are what annoy me most. Lots of backpedaling, no concessions get made, sometimes they will cling to small irrelevant pockets of logic and avoid the real points, you can tell sometimes that they know they're probably wrong and are bullshitting.... I guess NTPs will do all this sometimes too.

And it's true about not knowing where INTPs will go in debate, I'm one and I can't usually tell.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
I read something by Foucault a week ago and I was like "Ni". You can also really see that NTJ intensity in the video.

Oh and panda bear: what constitutes the point that should be made may differ for NTJs vs. NTPs. (no concessions :D)

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Well-defended arguments.

Very well positioned - especially Foucault's. Chomsky's level of finesse in fielding Foucault's complex, multi-layered inquiry is enviable.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think entj makes a lot of sense, but i'm shocked. i assumed entp before. i will have to reinterpret what self-fashioning to foucault means in an entj context. Te Ni makes so much sense in terms of his understandings of teh ways in which power circulates throughout a discourse objectively, and that all interior space is almost totally defined by the objective relationships and institutional power structures that, in discourse, create and locate our little cross-sectional sense of self.

yet i'm still surprised. it makes sense with his relationship to heidegger's work. and nietzsche. he has that crazy i know i'm right look in his eye (inferior Fi?) where chomsky is all Ti in his application and understanding of the positions being taken in the discourse. and that i can invent my way out of a paper bag with the facts at-hand. reminds me of intp friends.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'd just like to reiterate entj.

inspired by intj nietzsche. i told my friend today it's like a young tom riddle reading nietzsche and turning himself into lord voldemort. this is the nietzschean laugh that marks foucaults destruction of epistemology, and of the meaning structures we use to justify our practices (aka ethics). foucualt is a death eater.

power in foucualt's work is a swirling metaphysical substance that only exists in manifestations. seems very inescapable Ni metaphysic. power is, for foucualt, synonymous with Being. it is the substance of existence. a great undulating metereological mass of relations that form the very fabric of all energy, matter, thought in the universe. the foundation of practice and of history.