• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are Sensors more "Successful" than Intuitors?

s.a.

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm new on this site, so forgive any shortcomings in adherence to unwritten rules of creating posts, etc. :nerd: :bye:

I came across a video which really prompted something in me to question it in regards to MBTI. In essence, seven strangers must decide who among them will receive $1000. The video has 22k dislikes and only 15k likes despite its good production and it being quite entertaining. When skimming the Comments' section (if not having watched the video), you can understand that it's because the majority of the viewers disagree with who received the winning money (or at least how they went about doing it).

1000.jpg

Of course, I agree that other contestants might have been more (or at least as equally as) deserving of the $1000. Observing everyone's interactions, I came up with the blatant idea that Sensors are more "successful" (read: "better at getting their way") than Intuitors, since the first three to be voted off seemed to be people I could relate to (shy, kind, thinking of the future, not caring too much about winning the money) whereas the last three to remain somehow seemed selfish or more focused on the "now" of winning the money. Of course, these are generalizations (I know that both Sensors and Intuitors are capable of being kind, being selfish, etc.). My more concrete reasoning for typing the first and last three as such were because the first three seemed to have more altruistic or "idealistic" considerations and having in mind a "bigger picture" (e.g. giving the money to charity, splitting the $1000 among the 7 of them) on what to do with the money, as opposed to the remaining three.

Why/How Sensors are more "successful" than Intuitors? Upon researching in depth about the differences between Sensing and Intuition, I became confused and wondered if in fact the differences between the first three voted off and the remaining three were actually differences in Extroversion and Introversion, or even Thinking and Feeling. So far, I've decided to focus on making a comparison of the ST / NF dichotomy, since it's my safest bet so far.

I wouldn't say I'm ultra-experienced with typing or MBTI, but it isn't completely new to me. I don't have great knowledge on the exact order individuals use their main/auxiliary cognitive functions, but I understand the gist of things. Conclusively, I decided that typing the contestants would be the easiest solution to my hypothesis. I have no experience with it, hence me joining the community on here for some help. :) I also ask myself if I am confusing cognitive functions with other aspects of a person's personality/character that may have nothing to do with the MBTI, like arrogance, vulnerability, or conceit. Additionally, I would imagine that trying to type the individuals, although they are acting as themselves, would be more difficult due to the fact that this is a competitive game, and so those very intent on winning may exert a larger effort to heighten use of secondary or tertiary cognitive functions in attempt to win the $1000.

For those who are interested, there is a post-interview with the contestants, where a few of them express their experiences as being contestants on the game.

Thanks in advance for the help. :D

s.a.

MBTI Type
INFP
Here's my first attempt at typing the contestants, with my reasoning (through quotes of the contestants). They're ordered consecutively by who was ranked off (Joe first).

Joe: INFP
"What if we donate the money?" ...an altruistic/idealistic approach. He's the quietest in the group. "My only case that I can make is that, you know, I work hard, I would use the money to, you know, fix my car because I've had a busted windshield and a busted bumper for a while. [But, it's still operable.]" I'm not saying that the others weren't being honest, but he seems to be being blatantly honest about his situation, not necessarily even making an effort to persuade the others that he should receive the money (avoiding conflict, being laid-back and easygoing when someone makes an unnecessary remark... Feeler and Perceiver?). He defends Ilah by saying, "You guys were talking about guaranteed futures and careers and stuff, and I was just saying that, like, having a kid is talk about a guaranteed future... like that's a guaranteed future, to me." "Can I just recuse myself?"

Ilah: INFP
Probably second-quietest, after Joe. She makes firm objections when an injustice (racial or otherwise, jokingly or not) is made to any group member. She really seems to be observing what the other contestants are talking about and processing it all. "I am 19 years old; I am a full-time student. Money would really fricken' help; I just bailed out my parents, ten grand, and that was actually what I was supposed to use for my daughter's college fund." Hodan, Shakera, and Kat basically put down her pitch by claiming/suggesting connecting Ilah to some sort of mentors that could help her in her situation. Ilah is sympathetic to the situations of others, and is sometimes zoning out of what's going on. She doesn't seem to want to engage in the banter (conflict-avoidant). "I don't know if I deserve this." After being voted off, she says, "Honestly, I'm at that point where I'm starting to think whoever does get the money does not deserve it."

Abbe: ExFx
She seems to be occasionally asking others questions in order to better-understand where they are coming from, and understand things from their perspective. In the very beginning, she seems to joke around a bit in efforts to make the atmosphere more comfortable for everyone. "My brother's getting married in Michigan. [I want the $1000] so I can be at the wedding. I wanna be there for my brother and for his fiancé." Partway through, she makes a thoughtful monologue . She doesn't seem to see the need to justify herself or explain her background (like admitting to being Hispanic), perhaps not to gain her way superficially as opposed to deservingly. "How do you guys feel about games of chance? Like rock, paper, scissors? I'm throwing it out there." "But do we want someone with a heart of steel to go home with $1000?" "If I have a plasma scar, doesn't that tell you that I'm trying to do everything I possibly can?" "Arguably, that could be said about everyone's situation." After Shakera won, she says, "This has been an awful experience. This has been nothing but sadness and arguing and conflict and hurt feelings and sh*ttiness."

Kat: ESTx
"I spent the entire day moving today. I spent over $3200 in rent this month alone, plus moving costs, bribing people to help me." Kat asks Shakera a question when Shakera is making her pitch, which could be reflective of a Thinking or Sensing type (trying to gather more information). During Ilah's pitch, she tells her, "I mean, if you give a man $1000, you feed him for a day, but you teach a man to make $1000, you could feed him for life." "I had a really hard financial time a couple of months ago, and I gave so much plasma that I passed out on the bed." "None of 'em (i.e. Kris, Hodan, Shakera) [deserve to win the $1000]." "I don't like the guy (i.e. Kris). I don't like him." After Shakera won, she says "I just don't think it's fair that, like, everybody had to be all up here, and then when it came down to like the actual money decision, we weren't privy to any of the discussion and we couldn't hear anything. I just wish I could hear; I was just curious what was going on, and I would have liked to know what we could have said."

Hodan: ESxP
E: Very loud and talkative. Is constantly making jokes, even if self-depreciating... like an entertainer. "I spend every single day trying to save the world. I work on issues of climate change. I am a good person, and I need new tires. That is why I deserve $1000." During Abbe's pitch, she suggests Abbe "Facetimes" his brother as an effort to attend his wedding (which seems like an emotionally inconsiderate thing to say). Shakera and Kris second this. However, she seems to sympathize with a number of the contestants on occasion. "I don't think that's going to be fair because every single one of them (i.e. Joe, Ilah, and Abbe) before they got out, they voted for me." She says to Joe, "I really don't need you to antagonize me; why don't you just- be quiet." In the end, she admits "I already knew that I'm okay without this $1000. I mean, it'd be nice to have, but it's not shaking up my world right now."

Kris: ExTJ
"At this point, I'm not working as well. So... my bills are... my husband was able to pay for them, but they're coming up again, and we may end up homeless. [I've had a job] since September. It's been 30 days. I choose to be unemployed because the jobs that I apply for, they said I'm not qualified for it because I'm black." He seems utterly confused as to why Ilah breaks down and cries during Abbe's monologue (i.e. thinker). Referring to Ilah, he says "She should have used what she had to get what she needed. It's a player's club line." "I don't believe in games of chance." "[Someone with a heart of steel should go home with $1000] if they have actual, factual needs for it, then yes (i.e. thinker)." "Don't you have a heart of steel?" Being emotionally inconsiderate to Ilah, he says, "You had sex to have the child, and now the child's here. So, you have to pay for your child and be responsible for it." "[To the next person to go], it's not personal." To me, nearly all of his remarks are presented in a very robotic/systematic/logical/deductive fashion. "Yeah, we picked Shakera because they (i.e. Shakera, Hodan) had already decided prior, and instead of leaving the money on the table, might as well give it so somebody could use it." "She's (i.e. Shakera) in a worse predicament than us (i.e. he, Hodan).

Shakera: ESTP
Perhaps the loudest and most talkative in the group. Immediately responds to Joe's suggestion of donation by loudly saying to him "I know who needs to go, 'cause you said 'to charity'. [...] I think you gotta go, like... I'm sorry." She objects in the middle of Kat's pitch, calling her a liar. "I haven't been working since April, so this will be my third surgery within a year since my initial accident. Like seriously, my bank account is literally like -$300 right now. [My worker's comp is] my paycheck-to-paycheck. But you only get how much of your income... you only get 60%. Exactly." After being questioned about it, she shouts "Y'all asking too much questions, but that is the truth!" When sitting among the group, she seems very competitive by shooting down other people's ideas, yet when making her pitch, she seems to be a true salesman, portraying the need for sympathy from others (i.e. her empathy doesn't seem consistent). Shakera, in addition to Kris, seems just as apathetic towards Ilah having displayed her emotions (i.e. thinker). "Use what you got to get what you want." She seems a bit political by saying, "This is not about a heart of steel," trying to sympathize with Abbe, despite siding with many "emotionless" things Kris has said earlier. "I just want to say that to the next person to go, it's nothing personal. It's really not." "I'm voting for myself." After winning, she says, "I am happy with the decision; I am in a dire need for it. I am very thankful for the decision that they made, and how everything played out. I'm excited; I'm happy."

An interesting aside:
Host (to the remaining, after Ilah was voted off): Do you guys think the most empathetic people are the most vulnerable to this game?
Kris: Yes, 'cause they're gonna fall for a sob story.
Ilah: Sob story?
Kris: Yeah, sob story. If you needed the money for yourself,-
Kat: Well if you were gonna fall for it, she would still be on this couch.
Kris: But she almost fell for it, she fell for the one Abbe gave, but the only thing that messed her up is 'I don't deserve this.'.
Shakera: She fell so hard that she didn't think she deserved it.
Ilah: Sorry, I was listening to you guys.
Kris: Well, I don't know how to explain it, you just have to have a heart of steel pretty much.
Kat: I didn't vote for you, girl!

Turi

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I haven't watched the video, so apologies if this is misguided - this kind of thing (I did read the posts) is more accurately attributed to introversion and extraversion - as you noted but steered clear of for whatever reason.

However, in saying that - I mean general dispositions towards I/E - and not "leads with X function in this attitude" - ergo, it's possible to be say, an Se dominant, yet be highly stereotypically introverted to the point research and writings on introversion resonate more than extraversion and via dichotomy, you'd be an I.

Essentially, the world values E over I. The loudest is seen as the most competent. The quickest to vocalize their opinions are seen as the most clever.
This idea permeates throughout virtually everything. E beats out I, on the wider spectrum of reality.

So the quiet "I" types (note, again, dichotomy I) get drowned out and defeated by E types ordinarily - note your order of 'typings' - most quiet out first, second-quiet out second - this is the way of the world - the real-world, for the most part.

For more information on this kind of thing, read Susan Cain's Quiet - it's a brilliant read imo, and is very well research, it highlights positives and negatives of both I and E and also touches on the effects that both have over the other - while you're at it, you might as well read The Introvert Advantage by Marti Laney as well.

The way introverts are suggested to succeed in life, is ordinarily to focus on Extraversion - this notion is also built into Myers (misguided) understanding of introversion and extraversion as well, as outlined in Gifts Differing evidenced by what the entire P/J dichotomy is intended to represent (the way we communicate with the outer world).
Myers believed without this (in the form of some other function, in the extraverted attitude), introverts are essentially mummies, incapable of doing anything, really, and even attempted to take a swipe at Jungs portrayals of introverted types due to him *not* discussing their extraverted aspects.

This of course, is because Myers didn't understand I/E - but her perspective is aligned with the wider social perspective that is introverts need E, because E is what's valued by society, not I.

Lark

Jung thought that sensing was superior to intuition, like it was the "mature" cognitive function.

s.a.

MBTI Type
INFP
I haven't watched the video, so apologies if this is misguided - this kind of thing (I did read the posts) is more accurately attributed to introversion and extraversion - as you noted but steered clear of for whatever reason.

However, in saying that - I mean general dispositions towards I/E - and not "leads with X function in this attitude" - ergo, it's possible to be say, an Se dominant, yet be highly stereotypically introverted to the point research and writings on introversion resonate more than extraversion and via dichotomy, you'd be an I.

Essentially, the world values E over I. The loudest is seen as the most competent. The quickest to vocalize their opinions are seen as the most clever.
This idea permeates throughout virtually everything. E beats out I, on the wider spectrum of reality.

So the quiet "I" types (note, again, dichotomy I) get drowned out and defeated by E types ordinarily - note your order of 'typings' - most quiet out first, second-quiet out second - this is the way of the world - the real-world, for the most part.

For more information on this kind of thing, read Susan Cain's Quiet - it's a brilliant read imo, and is very well research, it highlights positives and negatives of both I and E and also touches on the effects that both have over the other - while you're at it, you might as well read The Introvert Advantage by Marti Laney as well.

The way introverts are suggested to succeed in life, is ordinarily to focus on Extraversion - this notion is also built into Myers (misguided) understanding of introversion and extraversion as well, as outlined in Gifts Differing evidenced by what the entire P/J dichotomy is intended to represent (the way we communicate with the outer world).
Myers believed without this (in the form of some other function, in the extraverted attitude), introverts are essentially mummies, incapable of doing anything, really, and even attempted to take a swipe at Jungs portrayals of introverted types due to him *not* discussing their extraverted aspects.

This of course, is because Myers didn't understand I/E - but her perspective is aligned with the wider social perspective that is introverts need E, because E is what's valued by society, not I.

I didn't find your post misguided; it was great insight. I definitely feel like this explanation and perspective is much clearer than my original proposition of comparing Sensors/Intuitors. I "steered clear" of this because I suppose I hadn't given it due thought... I assumed that the reasoning for this was much deeper than a simple answer as E vs. I. I do agree that it seems the world values extroversion over introversion, as you put it simply, "E beats out I".

Just a question, what do you mean "quiet" 'I' types (if you care to explain)? This is the further knowledge of MBTI I am lacking.

I had heard well of S. Cain's Quiet... I suppose I should look into it! I do suggest watching the video if you ever get a chance, for the entertainment of it and to observe the individuals' interactions. However, it might be a bit torturous to watch for individuals who are on the more sensitive side.

s.a.

MBTI Type
INFP
Jung thought that sensing was superior to intuition, like it was the "mature" cognitive function.

"Mature" in which sense? If it is considered that Sensing is "concrete" perception of one's environment, and that Intuition is "abstract" perception of one's environment, is this "superiority" of Sensing resulting from the idea that concrete perception is perhaps more useful, more often, in most circumstances as opposed to not? I.e. The idea that one should focus on what they can directly affect, here and now, as a priority over focusing on what one could/might/can affect in some other world/future.

Turi

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Source?

I didn't find your post misguided; it was great insight. I definitely feel like this explanation and perspective is much clearer than my original proposition of comparing Sensors/Intuitors. I "steered clear" of this because I suppose I hadn't given it due thought... I assumed that the reasoning for this was much deeper than a simple answer as E vs. I. I do agree that it seems the world values extroversion over introversion, as you put it simply, "E beats out I".

Just a question, what do you mean "quiet" 'I' types (if you care to explain)? This is the further knowledge of MBTI I am lacking.

I had heard well of S. Cain's Quiet... I suppose I should look into it! I do suggest watching the video if you ever get a chance, for the entertainment of it and to observe the individuals' interactions. However, it might be a bit torturous to watch for individuals who are on the more sensitive side.

By 'quiet' "I" types, I mean, stereotypical introverts, introverts via dichotomy.
Not related to actual, true introversion from a scientific perspective and not related to introversion from a Jungian perspective (which manifests through functions and does not manifest in and of itself).

Turi

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"Mature" in which sense? If it is considered that Sensing is "concrete" perception of one's environment, and that Intuition is "abstract" perception of one's environment, is this "superiority" of Sensing resulting from the idea that concrete perception is perhaps more useful, more often, in most circumstances as opposed to not? I.e. The idea that one should focus on what they can directly affect, here and now, as a priority over focusing on what one could/might/can affect in some other world/future.

Concrete and abstract don't work for Sensation and Intuition, as there is both concrete sensation *and* intuition, just like there is abstract sensation *and* intuition.
It's not a direct and perfect fit - but the *closest* you can do, I believe, is liken "concrete" to extraverted, and "abstract" to introverted.

So you being curious as to whether concrete perception is more valued than abstract perception is again, most closely resembling extraversion v introversion, not Sensation v Intuition.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
This is probably closer to differences in agreeableness.

The more disagreeable someone is the more likely they will fight for their fair share (and in extreme cases much beyond that) I can be never be sure if the fault is that someone disagreeable should be more agreeable or that the more agreeable should be more disagreeable. I suspect the answer is somewhere inbetween.

It's also a matter of personal circumstance, though I've not watched the video as I'm typing this quickly while waiting on a phonecall, and maybe some of the more vocal ones really are dealing with more immediate problems. The kind of problems that tend to focus your attention on the here and now, regardless of questionable typology theories.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Noooo. It's about ambition, perverseness and a little bit of luck. None of those are determined by functions.

Lark

So you keep saying, but source ?

Yeah, I cant find it at the moment, I think it could have been Anthony Stevens either short introduction to Jung or biographical book on Jung, soon as I find it I'll let you know.

Alternatively it could be in a book on Sherlock Holmes which considered Holmes to be a ISTJ which I mentioned before too.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Yeah, I cant find it at the moment, I think it could have been Anthony Stevens either short introduction to Jung or biographical book on Jung, soon as I find it I'll let you know.

Alternatively it could be in a book on Sherlock Holmes which considered Holmes to be a ISTJ which I mentioned before too.

Ok thanks.

Isn't all of this very contextual ? I mean, depending on the field of work ?
I have a hard time imagining that Jung would literally call sensing more "mature" than intuiting.
I personally keep having the impression irl that sensing is actually "the lack of intuition", as mentioned before too.
Whereas vice versa, inferior sensing functions, are not lacking but overshadowed by dominant intuitive functions. An absent minded professor for instance as stereotypical example.
I could very well be wrong. Barely know if this still makes sense, but this has had me wondering ever since delving into MBTI.

Lark

Ok thanks.

Isn't all of this very contextual ? I mean, depending on the field of work ?
I have a hard time imagining that Jung would literally call sensing more "mature" than intuiting.
I personally keep having the impression irl that sensing is actually "the lack of intuition", as mentioned before too.
Whereas vice versa, inferior sensing functions, are not lacking but overshadowed by dominant intuitive functions. An absent minded professor for instance as stereotypical example.
I could very well be wrong. Barely know if this still makes sense, but this has had me wondering ever since delving into MBTI.

Intuition= Dr Watson

Sensing= Sherlock Holmes

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Probably a stretched truth during the whole yama brigade probably signified by what I said from SimulatedWorld to then me being thought I was quoting Jung.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm new on this site, so forgive any shortcomings in adherence to unwritten rules of creating posts, etc. :nerd: :bye:

I came across a video which really prompted something in me to question it in regards to MBTI. In essence, seven strangers must decide who among them will receive $1000. The video has 22k dislikes and only 15k likes despite its good production and it being quite entertaining. When skimming the Comments' section (if not having watched the video), you can understand that it's because the majority of the viewers disagree with who received the winning money (or at least how they went about doing it).

View attachment 20055

Of course, I agree that other contestants might have been more (or at least as equally as) deserving of the $1000. Observing everyone's interactions, I came up with the blatant idea that Sensors are more "successful" (read: "better at getting their way") than Intuitors, since the first three to be voted off seemed to be people I could relate to (shy, kind, thinking of the future, not caring too much about winning the money) whereas the last three to remain somehow seemed selfish or more focused on the "now" of winning the money. Of course, these are generalizations (I know that both Sensors and Intuitors are capable of being kind, being selfish, etc.). My more concrete reasoning for typing the first and last three as such were because the first three seemed to have more altruistic or "idealistic" considerations and having in mind a "bigger picture" (e.g. giving the money to charity, splitting the $1000 among the 7 of them) on what to do with the money, as opposed to the remaining three.

Why/How Sensors are more "successful" than Intuitors? Upon researching in depth about the differences between Sensing and Intuition, I became confused and wondered if in fact the differences between the first three voted off and the remaining three were actually differences in Extroversion and Introversion, or even Thinking and Feeling. So far, I've decided to focus on making a comparison of the ST / NF dichotomy, since it's my safest bet so far.

I wouldn't say I'm ultra-experienced with typing or MBTI, but it isn't completely new to me. I don't have great knowledge on the exact order individuals use their main/auxiliary cognitive functions, but I understand the gist of things. Conclusively, I decided that typing the contestants would be the easiest solution to my hypothesis. I have no experience with it, hence me joining the community on here for some help. :) I also ask myself if I am confusing cognitive functions with other aspects of a person's personality/character that may have nothing to do with the MBTI, like arrogance, vulnerability, or conceit. Additionally, I would imagine that trying to type the individuals, although they are acting as themselves, would be more difficult due to the fact that this is a competitive game, and so those very intent on winning may exert a larger effort to heighten use of secondary or tertiary cognitive functions in attempt to win the $1000.

For those who are interested, there is a post-interview with the contestants, where a few of them express their experiences as being contestants on the game.

Thanks in advance for the help. :D

I think on average, there are correlations between personality type and "success" from the standpoint of monetary rewards. This study analyzed 2500 people and what they made.

https://www.truity.com/sites/default/files/PersonalityType-CareerAchievementStudy.pdf

ESTJs, ENTJs and ISTJs on average make the most money. ENTJs manage the most people. The reason is that they gravitate towards managerial positions with higher frequency than other types. There was another study that I don't have access to here in which data was collected over many years and it showed that 95% of the uppermost executive ranks were four types - ESTJ, ISTJ, INTJ and ENTJ. INTJs and ENTJs were a far high proportion of executives given their relatively rarity in the population - like with 15% of the to top executives being INTJs when they only represented 3% of the population. There are a lot more ESTJs and ISTJs than ENTJs and INTJs so there are more STs in these roles. . Anyways, it's TJs that tend to rise towards the top naturally. I think that data comes mostly from traditional organizations sending their people through management development programs.

However, there are variances to this. ESTPs tend to be promoters and ENTPs innovators. You can get rich doing those things. Richard Branson is an example or maybe Mark Cuban or Donald Trump.

Some people are just much more competitive than others. Look at "Competition" in the following list of strengths from Clifton StrengthsFinder.

All 34 CliftonStrengths Themes Descriptions

Take Michael Jordan for example or Donald Trump - they are both insanely competitive individuals. Some people don't just like winning. They NEED to win. Personally, I love competition but Competition isn't one of my strengths. I love to win but if I lose, it's fine. It's the challenge of getting better and the enjoyment in competing that interests me more than the actually winning itself.

Last edited:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here is an example of a competitive person who has competition as a strength.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thinking about it, there are more sensors than intuitives. So, it makes sense that a greater number of sensors are successful. This is also, of course, dependent on how you define success. Plus, any type can be successful, some just have different altitudes for it in different fields of work.

s.a.

MBTI Type
INFP
So you being curious as to whether concrete perception is more valued than abstract perception is again, most closely resembling extraversion v introversion, not Sensation v Intuition.

I agree, well-put.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would never survive the Survivor Series Game. This video, is social pecking at its best. I always thought F was more superior, because, let's face it, they have the ability to manipulate people.