• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

~ Gone With The Wind ~

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Ashley Wilkes is a deeply flawed INFJ (opposite of Rhett's ESTP). He's deep in his own thoughts and feelings, not field marshaling as an ENTJ would be. He hates war and he can't stand up to the women in his life. Disagree he's E at all. The guy would be quite happy living in a library and he's certainly more introverted than his wife.

Edit - sorry I spent so much time on my GWTW book report I missed Pink's clarification.

Last edited:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ashley Wilkes is a deeply flawed INFJ (opposite of Rhett's ESTP). He's deep in his own thoughts and feelings, not field marshaling as an ENTJ would be. He hates war and he can't stand up to the women in his life. Disagree he's E at all. The guy would be quite happy living in a library and he's certainly more introverted than his wife.

Agreed! What do you make of Scarlett? :)

heart

heart on fire

Edit - sorry I spent so much time on my GWTW book report I missed Pink's clarification.

That's interesting, about them being so opposite they fit so well into the MBTI types that are also so opposite. It puts a further light on Ashley representing the old South and Rhett the aggressive, oppurtunist North.

I wonder who MM knew that she based Ashley's character on? :devil:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dadlammed carpetbaggers!

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I haven't really given a lot of thought to what types the characters were, but here's my read on them:

Ashley: Complete wimp, undeserving of even a manipulative witch like Scarlett.

Scarlett: I would absolutely hate her if I knew her IRL, but I grudgingly came to respect her. Being a Southern woman, I still don't understand why so many Southern chicks think she's so great.

Melanie: Completely one-dimensional until it came time for her to die. Then I sort of liked her. Wished she and her husband had a spine to share between them.

Rhett: Can't help but like him, but a little smooth for my tastes.

I think about the only character I didn't want to strangle was Belle Watling.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I always called my mom's movies "poofy dress movies". Pride and Prejudice, Gone With The Wind, Anne of Green Gables, Emma, Mansfield Park, etc. I guess I meant it derogatorily but now a days, I love those corseted dresses. ;)

heart

heart on fire
I haven't really given a lot of thought to what types the characters were, but here's my read on them:

Ashley: Complete wimp, undeserving of even a manipulative witch like Scarlett.

Scarlett: I would absolutely hate her if I knew her IRL, but I grudgingly came to respect her. Being a Southern woman, I still don't understand why so many Southern chicks think she's so great.

Melanie: Completely one-dimensional until it came time for her to die. Then I sort of liked her. Wished she and her husband had a spine to share between them.

Rhett: Can't help but like him, but a little smooth for my tastes.

I think about the only character I didn't want to strangle was Belle Watling.

From the book or the movie, just curious.

I never liked Rhett, too reptilian for me. :D Scarlett irritated me but I can appreciate the crafting of the character in the book. Melanie in the book is the more typical Southern Belle in my view, appears soft and yielding until she's pushed on and loyally loving to a fault.

heart

heart on fire
I always called my mom's movies "poofy dress movies". Pride and Prejudice, Gone With The Wind, Anne of Green Gables, Emma, Mansfield Park, etc. I guess I meant it derogatorily but now a days, I love those corseted dresses. ;)

The dresses in Pride and Prejudice are Regency style (roughly1795-1820) (back to nature and fabric was more expensive because of all the war going on then) and much more to my tastes. I really like those dresses and could actually imagine wearing them.

Can one imagine wearing all those mid- 1800s corsets and petticoats in the heat of the South?

I mean in the early part of the 1800s they were coming out of what was called the "little ice age" and temps were cooler but even so, all those clothes ugh.

Don't even mention the fashions from the mid-1700s, they just looked inhuman, like people were trying to prove they weren't even human. I love the history of those time periods but would hate to have to wear the clothes, even the men layered themselves in a lot of really confining fashions. ugh ugh ugh ugh!

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think the confinement plus the sore lack of sanitation = Oh No Way...

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
From the book or the movie, just curious.

I never liked Rhett, too reptilian for me. :D Scarlett irritated me but I can appreciate the crafting of the character in the book. Melanie in the book is the more typical Southern Belle in my view, appears soft and yielding until she's pushed on and loyally loving to a fault.

It's been *mumble* years since I read the book--I read it the summer before my freshman year in high school. I remember liking the characters a bit more in the book, but I don't remember specifics. So I'm generally going off the movie in my assessments. I have never watched the movie where I wasn't wondering what in the world Scarlett saw in Ashley, other than the fact that she couldn't have him. And I wanted Melanie to at least appear as though she had a brain in her head. For the first half of the movie, she just seemed bland and simple-minded.

Rhett's too suave for me, but compared to Ashley, he was a prize.

heart

heart on fire
Well, there was poor Charles Hamilton and Frank Kennedy lost in the midst of all the drama.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Well, there was poor Charles Hamilton and Frank Kennedy lost in the midst of all the drama.

Yeah, that's why I really hated Scarlett. I couldn't stand the fact that she used them like that. And that she actually stole whichever one of them away from her own sister. People like that make me spit nails.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Frank was such a drawling idiot. lol

heart

heart on fire
Yes, poor Frank. He just wanted a happy home and what were the chances of that with Scarlett. :( No wonder Scarlett was so bitchy, she didn't have a very good pool of men to pick from. :cry: Ashley would probably be the most interesting to me but good grief....

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've never seen 'Gone with the Wind', but I am a Southern Belle. :)