• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Nick Drake

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
What type do you think he is? At first, I want to say he was the classic depressed tortured INFP artist, but the more I think of it, I think he might have been a depressed INTP.

If you haven't heard his song "Pink Moon" you should check it out, I think it's one of the best acoustic singer-songwriter songs out there. You can listen to a bit of it here. Nick Drake > Elliott Smith.

He's been described as aloof, confident, asocial, and quiet.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I would have guessed INFP. And "Pink Moon" is great, but Bryter Layter is his best album.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
I bought "Pink Moon" and kinda liked it, but I wasn't nuts about it. I never understood what people thought was so extremely special about him, even though he certainly had talent. I enjoyed a Pink Floyd song called "Grantchester Meadows" ( or titled something similar ) and Nick seemed like someone who had decided to do an entire album of just songs like that. I guess I like things changed up a bit. I never explored his other albums. Maybe "Bryter"...later. :)

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would've guessed INFP, just from his music.

And I loved Bryter Layter a lot more than Pink Moon. Northern Sky is one of the most romantic songs I've ever heard. Yes, I know that Bryter Layter was the album that Nick Drake disliked the most from all of his work. I've had that conversation with my sister before (she prefers Pink Moon).

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I would've guessed INFP, just from his music.

And I loved Bryter Layter a lot more than Pink Moon. Northern Sky is one of the most romantic songs I've ever heard. Yes, I know that Bryter Layter was the album that Nick Drake disliked the most from all of his work. I've had that conversation with my sister before (she prefers Pink Moon).

"At the Chime of a City Clock" is my personal favorite. Musically, it's definitely his best album, but I think a lot of people prefer the harrowingly bleak songs in his catalog.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I LOVE this song:

[youtube="r0S2xe_CWzE"]One Of These Things First[/youtube]

The lyrics seem like they would have to have been written by an INFP, to me:

I could have been a sailor, could have been a cook
A real live lover, could have been a book.
I could have been a signpost, could have been a clock
As simple as a kettle, steady as a rock.
I could be
Here and now
I would be, I should be
But how?
I could have been
One of these things first
I could have been
One of these things first.

I could have been your pillar, could have been your door
I could have stayed beside you, could have stayed for more.
Could have been your statue, could have been your friend,
A whole long lifetime could have been the end.
I could be yours so true
I would be, I should be through and through
I could have been
I could have been

I could have been a whistle, could have been a flute
A real live giver, could have been a boot.
I could have been a signpost, could have been a clock
As simple as a kettle, steady as a rock.
I could be even here
I would be, I should be so near
I could have been
I could have been

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Time to finally rip his albums to my MP3 it seems.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Nick is my favorite singer-songwriter. Absolutely love the dude. Have to admit I didn't think he was anything special the first time I heard him, but I think I fell in love on my second try. Always thought about him as INFP, and it seems like it is the gut instinct of most people... It seems to be a really good guess.

Sture

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Hah
Nick Drake is the first person I think of when I think about INFP, he's spot on, no doubt. He's also one of my favourite artists. I agree that BL is his best album. To me it's more bound together the the other ones and the added instruments are amazing. I'm careful not to ware the songs, and the associations to them, out. The second best album I think is Five Leaves Left, it seems underrated here. Not even mentioned.

btw tanks for posting the One of These Things First video. Lovely. It's the song through which I found Nick.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I started a thread here with my take on him. That documentary had me in knots, but I am drawn to tragic stories so if you're into that kind of thing it's definitely worth watching it.

I bought a boxed set of all his albums years ago and they're still the most cherished.