• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Michael Moore

nanook

a scream in a vortex
his strength (fake "self-consciousness"/assertiveness) is drawn from total identification with a victim-archetype. i used to sympathize with that, even regarded him as a hero for some time, but now its not good enough for me anymore, to talk from such a personal perspective about politics. he really lacks a constructive vision. he just wants people to get "better", morally. like a moral imperative of some kind is going to save the world. good, but not good enough for me. but most of the people have no better vision than a longing for some kind of projected personal imperative. various hidden victim agendas rule the postmodern culture. so therefore the world has deserved michael moore. he shall annoy you, until you realize whats really wrong with him, and how to improve on him in a transcendent way (rather than taking sides for some michael more antagonist from the same level)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I didn't give his type. Nobody is. I say xNFP.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Tough call, I would say ENTP or ENTJ.

ENFJ. He wouldn't be who he is today if it weren't for GM dicking around for the last 30 years. ENFJ means "you fuck with my people, I'm gonna fuck with you, no matter what it takes".

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hes a fucking ENFP. he has ridiculous Ne ideas that lead him on wild goose chases, and he never bothers to tie up the loose ends (to him, simple linkage is enough to imply entire conspiracies). He is completely driven by Fi and never bothers to answer the question when interviewed. He is the king of fallacies of relevance.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I see serious Fi in him. He's so sincerely stubborn about his ethical belief system - nearly to the point of being self-defeating.

An ENFJ - an Fe dom - would know that his histrionics aren't going to appeal to the broadest possible audience to reach his end goal of helping others. Fe would know how to reach society at large, not just appeal to those who already lean left. Michael Moore has been accused of "preaching to the converted."

ENFP. But not for the reasons Babylon Candle said. ;)

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
his strength (fake "self-consciousness"/assertiveness) is drawn from total identification with a victim-archetype. i used to sympathize with that, even regarded him as a hero for some time, but now its not good enough for me anymore, to talk from such a personal perspective about politics. he really lacks a constructive vision. he just wants people to get "better", morally. like a moral imperative of some kind is going to save the world. good, but not good enough for me. but most of the people have no better vision than a longing for some kind of projected personal imperative. various hidden victim agendas rule the postmodern culture. so therefore the world has deserved michael moore. he shall annoy you, until you realize whats really wrong with him, and how to improve on him in a transcendent way (rather than taking sides for some michael more antagonist from the same level)

very well put.

when i was much younger and had less of an idea of what my own personal identity was i regarded michael moore as a champion of the underprivileged american middle and lower class.

he has found his market to capitalize on. his tactic is smart cause most people are dumb but his execution is sloppy, unfairly biased and in poor taste. its pathetic and makes me feel dirty having watched it.

what a chode.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I describe myself as a libertarian(though I don't vote or think along party lines) and I think Michael Moore is simply filling a void in popular politics. If he was a talk show host, he'd be the liberal version of Hannity.... I agree with many of his points but he always overdoes it in his documentaries and ends up looking like a puppet.

Regardless of my mixed opinion of him, I would much rather listen to him babble on for 2 hours then listen to Hannity or O'Reilly for ten minutes.
Actually, Michael Moore and Rush Limbaugh are the same person. I can't stand either of them. They appeal to the lowest common denominator each side on the political spectrum in the US. I don't respect him, but I don't respect most people.

LEGERdeMAIN

Yeah, I was thinking TV, but you're right................... They could be half-brothers.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
hes a fucking ENFP. he has ridiculous Ne ideas that lead him on wild goose chases, and he never bothers to tie up the loose ends (to him, simple linkage is enough to imply entire conspiracies). He is completely driven by Fi and never bothers to answer the question when interviewed. He is the king of fallacies of relevance.

This made me laugh. And I think you may be right.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Michael Moore is like the inverse of Dennis Miller to me...

Dennis Miller, I rarely ever agree with, but I think he does a good job getting his points across eloquently. I disagree with virtually every statement he states, but he's entertaining and can bring up valid arguments that I have to carefully consider.

Michael Moore, on the other hand, is heavily sensationalistic, and although I agree with most of his concepts, I feel he mostly just ends up doing so in such a way that the only thing he's capable of doing is preaching to the choir. His style is one which creates fanatics out of those who already believed, and just chases those who don't believe further away by his flawed reasoning, poor judgement, and terribly overdone and often rude forms of interviews. He's about the last person I want on my side, because he kills the message so effortlessly. I think I'd be better off if he were not on my side most of the time.

About the only thing Michael Moore can be completely credited with, is being like Al Gore; he goes in such an outlandish manner, that he draws attention to topics that need to be looked at. By doing so in such a controversial way, it pulls it into the spotlight, and whether I like that or not, it's how society works right now. Anyone remember whot started the "ZOMG TRANSFATS!!!!!!" craze? Some lawyer sued OREO COOKIES for being UNHEALTHY. Well REALLY, who would've thought cookies wouldn't be healthy >.>; But it was so outlandish and ridiculous, and really rather stupid, that it got massive media attention, which was the whole point. It wasn't even aimed to be against oreo at all, the guy didn't even care, and he liked oreo cookies, but they were an obvious target and made headlines because of the absurdity.

This is how the western world works, though I'm not sure about elsewhere. It's stupid for the most part, and I'd much rather know about topics based on VALIDITY rather than how sensationalistic the news can broadcast it for more ratings... but whot can yeu do. Unless yeu make a huge fuss out of nothing, yeu'll never get yeur message public.

So as much as I hate Moore's tactics, his overall strategy at getting the topic publicity in general is sound. Sure he kills his own side of the argument in the process, but once there's enough people who actually know WTH they're talking about, they can usually drown out his horrible initial representation.

Unfortunately, those who are against the ideas, will point to him as an example of why the other side's wrong, even if it's obvious to both sides the guy's clueless. He's not doing it to be right, or prove a point, he's doing it to get attention for a topic, and he excells at that one task. Beyond that though, he fails hardcore. If people would stop being retarded and needing to have people dance like absurd monkies before they even stop to listen, we wouldn't need this kind of pathetic 'journalism'.

But sadly we do.

That being said, accept that Moore has a topic he wants brought to light, but ignore practically every word he says. Virtually all of it's misquoted, misrepresented, misunderstood, or just flat out wrong. And it makes anyone who actually knows about the topic at hand annoyed when they get compared to him.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
As for Michael Moore.. he does have strong beliefs but he is willing to tweak the facts a little bit to make what he says sound more true.
I'd say he's an INFP.

I think he's largely motivated by Fi and then uses Ne to publicize his ideas.

I can respect Moore for being a bright guy who has a reasonably good vision on how to change the world for the better- I just think some of his methods are a little sketchy and actually destroy his argument on closer examination... not that most Americans would want to bother closely examining the facts he brings out in the first place.. which kind of helps him or hurts him because it's either..

A.) MICHAEL MOORE IS A LIBERAL I HATE HIM
or
B.) MICHAEL MOORE IS A LIBERAL I LOVE HIM

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Here's why I don't buy ENFP - compare him to Woody Guthrie, a clear ENFP. Both men were inspired by an economic collapse and the plight of the working man. However, Guthrie drew his inspiration from grand principles and visions of universal truth and harmony - a clear Fi. Moore isn't like that - he's very issues-oriented, and most of his inspiration comes from the fact that the people he cares about are being screwed over.

Ni can be wacky and off the wall, too - if you're motivated to bring it to the outside world without concern over its effects. Moore feels like he's obligated to do whatever he can to help the ones he cares about, no matter what it takes. It isn't about a grand principle, it's about actual people. This tells me J over P.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I don't think Moore is an intuitive. Actually, the only function I'm sure is correct is that he's an F.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I generally like him. He's got balls and Hollywood can’t dictate to him. Some of his tactics I don't. I didn't like in the Bowling for Columbine when he was doing the picture of the dead girl sneak attack at an old Charleston Hesston’s home. 9/11 I didn't think he went far enough. Sicko had its good parts but was not as entertaining. Look forward to his next movie addressing where did the 1/2 trillion bailout money go (answer no body knows for sho).

Compared to the neocons tactics MMoore is the patron saint of journalistic integrity.

Happyman

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
What do you think of him and his ideas?

Risen thinks so because he's a libertarian.

I think Michael Moore deserves respect. Though sometimes I think he overplays and does the histrionics thing. Like it's about him, his performance. That's irritating. I'm a liberal, and I think Michael Moore might be the sort of liberal that I actually do not get along with IRL. But he's also extremely focused and active politically and I can't help but respect that.

He does good things. Nobody is perfect.

'Historionics' is a good term. I enjoy watching his movies, yet I usually disagree with him (OK, he had me with 'Bowling for Columbine', I'm not a gun-fan). He simply lies (I don't think it's too big a word), sometimes. Like for instance with presenting French healthcare system. You usually pay there for a doctor visit - I have family there, so I know the situation pretty well. I think he's more of a journalist then a philosopher/ideologist. He messes up the big picture, yet he's amazing in revealing some little scams etc.

Also he's doing everything to appear to be 'as everybody else'. He tries to dress like an average American (stereotypical, I mean), each time he eats on screen it's always some hamburger and coke. He's absolutely amazing with with creating his image.

What do you think his type is?

I don't know him well enough to type. But if I were to go with my gut, I'd say ENTP or ENFP.

As for the type I'd agree with ENFP (ENFJ maybe?). He has amazing people skills. Just watch any of his documents (especially the early ones), he makes people like him in seconds. I think that's why he's so popular too.
Oh, and if you add this what I've written about him being a journalist, I think it's safe to say he's ENFP.