• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
Help me type the characters in this book?

These are my guesses. May or may not be completely wrong.

Karamazovs:

Fyodor Pavlovich - ESTP
(father)

Dmitri Fyodorovich (Mitya) - ESFJ
(eldest son)

Ivan Fyodorovich - INTJ
(middle son)

Alexei Fyodorovich (Alyosha) - INFP / INFJ
(youngest son)

Pavel Fyodorovich Smerdyakov - INTP
(illegitimate son, servant)

Others:

Grigory Kutuzov Vasilievich - ISTJ
(servant)

Agrafena Alexandrovna (Grushenka) - ESFJ
(object of Fyodor and Dimitri's desires)

Katerina Ivanovna (Katya) - ISFJ
(Dimitri's fiancée)

Father Zossima - ENFJ
(monastery elder)

Mikhail Osipovich Rakitin - ENTJ
(seminary student)

Madame Khokhlakov - ESFP
(wealthy woman)

Liza Khokhlakov (Lise) - ESFP
(wealthy woman's daughter, likes Aloysha)

Ilyusha Snegiryov (Ilyushka) - ISTP
(schoolboy)

Kolya Krasotkin - ISTJ
(friend of Ilyusha, got his dog back)

Fetyukovich - ENTP
(defense attorney)

Ippolit Kirillovitch - ENFP
(prosecuting attorney)

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I think Alexei is INFJ.

I've read in a few places that Ivan is INTJ so that's what I tend to agree with, though I suppose it might be hard to tell, especially since he seems to go a little crazy.

Alexei could very well be INFJ. I'm not too sure though because he didn't seem to have that sort of 'activism' and outward drive which I think is more characteristic in INFJs than INFPs, until he was sort of forced to go out into the world by Father Zossima. He seemed more mellow and subtle if that makes sense.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
The reason I say Fe is that he seemed very concerned with being "good" according to a standard other than his own.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
The reason I say Fe is that he seemed very concerned with being "good" according to a standard other than his own.

I'm not really versed in cognitive processes of types but I suppose that's a good point. He doesn't really question being 'good', except maybe after Zossima dies, but that would be stress-induced behaviour I guess. :confused:

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't recall him questioning it per se, but he seemed naturally compelled to do the following:

"The “social graces,” such as being polite, being nice, being friendly, being considerate, and being appropriate, [...] We may recognize and adhere to shared values, feelings, and social norms to get along."
--cognitiveprocesses.com

Fi (what an INFP is dominant in) would be more like Katerina Ivanovna.. how she flip flopped (the flip flopping itself is not reminiscent of Fi) between what she valued in regard to Dmitri, and whether or not she should save or scorn him according to her ideal at the time.

Lotr246

I've seen Alyosha typed as an INFP, and Zosima as an INFJ. What makes you think Alyosha is Ni dominant, and not Fi?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
It's a stretch to assume that characters are capable of having types, given that they are constructs of someone's imagination, so just because I see Fe doesn't necessarily mean there will be Ni in the character.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't recall him questioning it per se, but he seemed naturally compelled to do the following:

"The “social graces,” such as being polite, being nice, being friendly, being considerate, and being appropriate, [...] We may recognize and adhere to shared values, feelings, and social norms to get along."
--cognitiveprocesses.com

Fi (what an INFP is dominant in) would be more like Katerina Ivanovna.. how she flip flopped (the flip flopping itself is not reminiscent of Fi) between what she valued in regard to Dmitri, and whether or not she should save or scorn him according to her ideal at the time.

What type to you think Katerina Ivanovna is? INFP?

I've seen Alyosha typed as an INFP, and Zosima as an INFJ. What makes you think Alyosha is Ni dominant, and not Fi?

It might make sense for a monk to be Introverted but I think Zosima is more extraverted, especially when he describes his past.

It's a stretch to assume that characters are capable of having types, given that they are constructs of someone's imagination, so just because I see Fe doesn't necessarily mean there will be Ni in the character.

True, but I think these are pretty well constructed characters, at least maybe enough to get a vague idea of what their type most likely is.

Wish more people would input though haha

First of all, I must explain that this young man, Alyosha, was not a fanatic, and, in my opinion at least, was not even a mystic. I may as well give my full opinion from the beginning. He was simply an early lover of humanity, and that he adopted the monastic life was simply because at that time it struck him, so to say, as the ideal escape for his soul struggling from the darkness of worldly wickedness to the light of love. And the reason this life struck him in this way was that he found in it at that time, as he thought an extrordinary being, our celebrated elder, Zossima, to whom he became attached with all the warm first love of his ardent heart.

In his childhood and youth he was by no means expansive, and talked little indeed, but not from shyness or a sullen unsociability; quite the contrary, from something different, from a sort of inner preoccupation entirely personal and unconcerned with other people, but so important to him that he seemed, as it were, to forget others on account of it. But he was fond of people: he seemed throughout his life to put implicit trust in people: yet no one ever looked on him as a simpleton or naive person. There was something about him which made one feel at once (and it was so all his life afterwards) that he did not care to be a judge of others that he would never take it upon himself to criticise and would never condemn anyone for anything. He seemed, indeed, to accept everything without the least condemnation though often grieving bitterly: and this was so much so that no one could surprise or frighten him even in his earliest youth.

Can you tell if Aloysha is INFP or INFJ here?
(from The Brothers Karamazov/Book I/Chapter 4 - Wikisource -- Read the whole book off wikisource! lol)

I still think he's more INFP...

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't think withholding judgment can be attributed to a certain judgment function, because both types are equally capable of judging others .. they only differ from the standard by which they judge.

I have given up messing with type. Good luck figuring it out.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't think withholding judgment can be attributed to a certain judgment function, because both types are equally capable of judging others .. they only differ from the standard by which they judge.

I have given up messing with type. Good luck figuring it out.

I wasn't only trying to highlight just the fact that he didn't judge, but how he was quiet and unconcerned with other people in his childhood and how he made his decision to join the monastery. Just based on profiles I've read it seems INFPs fit more than INFJs but I can't say that's conclusive at all.

Thanks for your input though, really

Sinister Magick

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Karamazovs:

Fyodor Pavlovich - ENTP, many people say ESTP, but he's more of an N.

Dmitri Fyodorovich - ESxP

Ivan Fyodorovich - INTP (Everyone says INTJ, but I see more Ti and inferior Fe from him.)

Alyosha - INFP for sure

Smerdyakov - INTx

Others:

Grigory - ISFJ

Grushenka - ENFP

Katerina Ivanovna (Katya) - ESTJ or INTJ

Father Zossima - INFJ

Rakitin - ENTx

Madame Khokhlakov - ESFP

Liza Khokhlakov (Lise) - ISFP

Ilyusha Snegiryov (Ilyushka) - ISxP
(schoolboy)