• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rpg class types

Demonofthefall

Im a big fan of d&d and the fantasy genre in general.
I was wondering what do you guys think which classes fit each type

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here are some threads that are somewhat related...
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...t-classes-matching-archetypes-archetypes.html
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/arts-and-entertainment/23308-role-playing-games-mbti.html
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/the-bonfire/2537-mbti-functions-rpg.html

Which ones would you say?

What I think is interesting is more when you play a class in non-traditional way.
For example, a really brainy wizard looks different from a people-savvy wizard looks different than a pragmatic wizard, etc.

Demonofthefall

Here are some threads that are somewhat related... World of Warcraft Classes (matching archetypes with archetypes) Role-playing games and MBTI MBTI functions in an RPG... Which ones would you say? What I think is interesting is more when you play a class in non-traditional way. For example, a really brainy wizard looks different from a people-savvy wizard looks different than a pragmatic wizard, etc.

Id say
Intj-necromancer
Intp-wizard
Entp-rogue
Infp-druid
Istp-ranger

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
Here are some threads that are somewhat related...
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...t-classes-matching-archetypes-archetypes.html
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/arts-and-entertainment/23308-role-playing-games-mbti.html
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/the-bonfire/2537-mbti-functions-rpg.html

Which ones would you say?

What I think is interesting is more when you play a class in non-traditional way.
For example, a really brainy wizard looks different from a people-savvy wizard looks different than a pragmatic wizard, etc.

Really, I like that Totenkindly reminded you to pay attention to this, but knowing the common types might help you find something different, hah.

So, with that in mind, I'll give typings to the DnD classes (don't know World of Warcraft that well).

Fighter--xSTJ
Barbarian--ESTP
Cleric--IxFJ
Wizard--INTx
Druid--INFJ
Bard--ESFx
Warlock--ESTP
Sorcerer--ESFP (Wild Mage Archetype maybe could be N)
Paladin--ESFJ

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree - that is more fun as a player, and makes the game more interesting. I have played mainly wizards and always tried to avoid the stereotypes. My first one was mistaken for a healer for the first 6 months of playing. The next was a fortifications engineer, followed by a ranger (atypical weapon skills), and even a gypsy-style entertainer.

More practically, if there is interest in a thread merge with any of the earlier threads, just let me know, or report it.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In Skyrim, I liked to play as an Argonian or Orcish battlemage, using light armor and one-handed weapons so I could wield magic attacks simultaneously. I had tried two-handed weapons but found them too limiting, especially since you can get a good one-handed weapon upgraded to the point of nearly matching the power of a two-handed weapon, eventually. I used a bow and arrow for ranged combat. I tended to remain neutral as much as possible, occasionally doing acts of kindness.

I had a little imagined backstory for my Argonian--a princess/noble, she tended to prefer science and knowledge to the boredom of royal court life; she was also more trustful of outsiders than most argonians and found other cultures fascinated, one day she was kidnapped from her home whilst studying Flora and Fauna near her home and subsequently sold into slavery. She was eventually purchased by a kindly old veteran human warrior mage taking pity on her who taught her basic combat and healing spells. He died and she resorted to living on the streets as a for-hire mercenary and tomb explorer (her underwater breathing made her especially good for exploring submerged tombs and she enjoyed finding ancient burial sites because it afforded her the opportunity to study the artifacts and satisfy her interest in archeology and history, despite being a novice who was usually snubbed by human academics and historians) before being captured by Imperial patrols leading up to the beginning of the Skyrim game.

I felt like having some idea of a backstory and modeling her personality after my own a bit would help guide my decisions and path in the game.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Really, I like that Totenkindly reminded you to pay attention to this, but knowing the common types might help you find something different, hah.

So, with that in mind, I'll give typings to the DnD classes (don't know World of Warcraft that well).

Fighter--xSTJ
Barbarian--ESTP
Cleric--IxFJ
Wizard--INTx
Druid--INFJ
Bard--ESFx
Warlock--ESTP
Sorcerer--ESFP (Wild Mage Archetype maybe could be N)
Paladin--ESFJ

Those are fair enough equivalences :) , although again it depends on how you are playing the class.

For example, a Druid could be played as a mystic (INFJ) at one with the world big picture... but we had a shapechanger druid who was less into spells and more into ambling around in wildshape, taking his time, enjoying nature... he seemed far more ISFP played that way.

---

I'm currently running my Pathfinder pally as an INFx. She's kind of like Joan of Arc in that she's otherworldly (race = aasimar) and has three voices speaking to her inside her head, one of them being her patron deity. But when she is in battle, she can only understand and speak one language and it's not common, so people kind of feel unsettled by her.

She's more into "Good" than "Law" and is a little too trusting of people -- great at diplomacy, not as great at sensing motives.

She actually was a lower noble family who couldn't be married off to cement holdings due to her eccentricities, so with her smarts she went to be taught by the scribes for awhile (she's actually an Oracle/Paladin) but then had her experience where the voices came to her along with a vision and she was driven to take up the sword and more actively defend the weak and promote good in the world.

it's a believable valid flavor of Pally, but you can also see the pally more concerned about social justice and changing society to make everyone get along (ESFJ) or an ESTP pally who enjoys the thrill of battle and out-jockey the opposition... the gamesman pally. And so forth.

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
Those are fair enough equivalences :) , although again it depends on how you are playing the class.

Sure--you could make them a totally different type. You could run an INTP barbarian if you wanted (Which I now want to do, if your game has space :p ) And, if this guy is trying to pigeonhole people with it, they shouldn't. But, I figure knowing the stereotypes lets you play with or invert the stereotypes, to the extent that typology is useful in writing anyway (I usually find it a hindrance actually, prefer typing chars after the fact if at all).

For example, a Druid could be played as a mystic (INFJ) at one with the world big picture... but we had a shapechanger druid who was less into spells and more into ambling around in wildshape, taking his time, enjoying nature... he seemed far more ISFP played that way.

---

I'm currently running my Pathfinder pally as an INFx. She's kind of like Joan of Arc in that she's otherworldly (race = aasimar) and has three voices speaking to her inside her head, one of them being her patron deity. But when she is in battle, she can only understand and speak one language and it's not common, so people kind of feel unsettled by her.

She's more into "Good" than "Law" and is a little too trusting of people -- great at diplomacy, not as great at sensing motives.

She actually was a lower noble family who couldn't be married off to cement holdings due to her eccentricities, so with her smarts she went to be taught by the scribes for awhile (she's actually an Oracle/Paladin) but then had her experience where the voices came to her along with a vision and she was driven to take up the sword and more actively defend the weak and promote good in the world.

it's a believable valid flavor of Pally, but you can also see the pally more concerned about social justice and changing society to make everyone get along (ESFJ) or an ESTP pally who enjoys the thrill of battle and out-jockey the opposition... the gamesman pally. And so forth.

Interesting character. :) I've tried my hand at an ISTJ druid (not sure if she turned out ISTJ, but it could've worked)--basically, druids were revered throughout her nation, so it became easier to paint a Guardian in that corner, hah. The reason she was adventuring and not tending to nature and her little town was due some of the historical context surrounding all that--basically a different religion was slowly starting to poach followers and ruin everything in that area.

I've also made characters for other systems who'd possibly be Barbarians in a DnD one, who were SJ or ISFP. But....

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sure--you could make them a totally different type. You could run an INTP barbarian if you wanted (Which I now want to do, if your game has space :p ) And, if this guy is trying to pigeonhole people with it, they shouldn't. But, I figure knowing the stereotypes lets you play with or invert the stereotypes, to the extent that typology is useful in writing anyway (I usually find it a hindrance actually, prefer typing chars after the fact if at all).

ISTJ barbarian = Conan the Librarian
ESTP barbarian = Conan the Vulgarian
INFJ barbarian = Conan the Criterion
Russian Barbarian = Conanslikov the Siberian

... okay now I am getting weird. :whacko:

Interesting character. :) I've tried my hand at an ISTJ druid (not sure if she turned out ISTJ, but it could've worked)--basically, druids were revered throughout her nation, so it became easier to paint a Guardian in that corner, hah. The reason she was adventuring and not tending to nature and her little town was due some of the historical context surrounding all that--basically a different religion was slowly starting to poach followers and ruin everything in that area.

That makes a lot of sense. I love how things can vary from the norm, based on context and situation.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Cool idea. I'm going to use old school Nethack classes. For table tops I prefer swords and six siders (bc I can get anyone to play that, not just nerds), but the classes are somewhat limited for that.

Archeologist: ENTP ('creative use of tools' master)
Barbarian: ESTJ (big club smash anything in the way)
Healer: ISFJ (mostly hides behind entourage of pets)
Knight: ISTJ (like the barbarian but more reflective honor bound and patient enough to tend to his horse)
Monk: INFP (vegetarian caster; doesn't use weapons or armor)
Priest: INFJ (can intuit blessed/cursed status of items at a glance; mystic)
Rogue: ISTP (dexterous master of disarming mechanics)
Ranger: ESTP (bow wielding wilderness prowlers)
Tourist ESFJ (high charisma but otherwise poorly equipped)
Valkyre: ENFJ (most powerful of the warrior classes)
Wizard: INTP (prolific casters but physically weak)