• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Winston Churchill

Churchills Type

• ESTJ

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • ESTP

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • ENTP

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
This one's been niggling me for a while...

Brief Bio
OK, so he was the British Prime Minister (President, if you will) during most of World War Two, was later Prime Minister again with less success, and was one of the most prolific statesmen of the 20th century.

This may help in his typing:

He wrote voraciously after the war, and won the Nobel Prize for Literature I believe for his History of the English Speaking Peoples. He was a staunch proponent of the then formidable British Empire, and was a journalist during the Boer War in his youth. He suffered from a form of depression.

Edit: OK pretty unanimous on ESTP...

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I loved the guy. He was a brilliant man, and humane. I'm going to suggest ESTP. He just struck me as being a real master of his environment, but also of the human element, and very innovative.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I loved the guy. He was a brilliant man, and humane. I'm going to suggest ESTP. He just struck me as being a real master of his environment, but also of the human element, and very innovative.

Well I'm certainly leaning towards ESTp...

I'd probably say P because although he was determined to maintain the status quo of Britian as a world superpower, which seems stereotypically J, he was willing to switch the political party he was a member of twice I believe. He was also innovative and original in his approach to military strategy. Also, for most of his life he was considered somewhat of an eccentric iconoclast for his political views, which were against the norm.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I do believe I've heard his type as ESTP. Keirsey, perhaps.

Add: Nice job, Jaye. :)

Members Only

MBTI Type
INFP

Intelligent, yes. Humane...

"I do not understand this squeamishness about the use of gas. I am strongly in favour of using poison gas against uncivilized tribes. The moral effects should be good, and it would spread a lively terror."

LadyJaye

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well I'm certainly leaning towards ESTX...

I watched the documentary his granddaughter recently did with PBS about his life - I thought it would be pretentious, but it wasn't. It made him very tangible and human, and his humanity wasn't contrived. He had a lionhearted way of approaching life and others, so yes, I would agree with the ESTX. One thing - I was watching the show with my ESTJ mother, and she said, " I would never take the sorts of risks he did." in looking for adventure, going to war in Cuba, etc. So that's why I was leaning toward the ESTP.

LadyJaye

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Intelligent, yes. Humane...

I'm not electing him for sainthood. He had this issue with Gandhi that showed his not so great side. But I think that he was irreplaceable at the time - he was the guy to get the job done in England. I think he gave people hope and courage. I know he profoundly affected people in the US as well.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Interesting that he's an ESTP though, as they would seem to be one of the last types to develop a stutter or speech impediment in childhood, as Churchill did, and one of the types less prone to depression. I agree with the typing, however I don't see the ESTP as a type that would hate school as Churchill did, or be as unacademic.

Additionally, is the ESTP the traditional type to inspire hope in a bombed out civilian population during the Battle of Britain? I suppose that's just a feature of a brillaint orator. :)

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm not electing him for sainthood. He had this issue with Gandhi that showed his not so great side. But I think that he was irreplaceable at the time - he was the guy to get the job done in England. I think he gave people hope and courage. I know he profoundly affected people in the US as well.

Hear, hear.

Churchill was no saint, but I don't believe his very real achievements should be belittled.

People expect perfection from their leaders too much these days.

He was the best man for the job, without a fraction of a doubt.

Members Only

MBTI Type
INFP
Churchill was no saint, but I don't believe his very real achievements should be belittled.

Nobody belittled them.

I was just pointing out his humanitarism, never extended to 'uncivilized' tribes.

Churchill was a war time leader above all else, he thrived on war.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Nobody belittled them.

I was just pointing out his humanitarism, never extended to 'uncivilized' tribes.

Churchill was a war time leader above all else, he thrived on war.

The statement was not directed at anyone, I agree with you

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
ESTP. Especially when looking at his time spent in Africa before he achieved any real fame.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I always thought of him as an ENTJ for his leadership and as ENTP for his witticisms... but looking at this thread I see my thoughts were rather one dimensional...

If I was your wife I'd put poison in your coffee!
If I was your husband, I'd drink it!

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
Well, Churchill knew that there was a war in the Sudan and made numerous attempts to get a transfer there, and funded his trip by working on the side as a war correspondent - which led to the army making a rule against that, which was one reason he left the service. He also made connections with several high-ranking officers and evaded capture by hiding in a cave, or something like that. I know this is vague, but his writings and personality come across as very tactical, adventurous, and opportunistic. ESTP.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It's nice to get closure on a public figure's type :)

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Dynamite Ninja started such a thread already. Didn't show up when I searched.

But thank you for doing that thread.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What differing opinions? Everytime I've seen him typed it's been unanimously ESTP.

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
I always end up in the intelligent ESTP vs. profane ENTP ditch when typing him, though currently leaning pretty solidly towards S