• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bartleby, the Scrivener

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
By Melville, of course.

Anybody want to take a crack at it? :devil:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I remember hating that story when I had to read it in high school. I couldn't understand why they didn't just fire him. Haven't read it since then, though, so I can't help ya out.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I think Bartleby might be an ISFJ... the narrator maybe an ISTJ?

yeghor

I think Bartleby might be an ISFJ... the narrator maybe an ISTJ?

I really liked the 1970s movie adaptation that was revised to take place in 70s UK. Really cherished watching the outdoor shots in 70s London cityscape and how people were back then.

Actor playing Bartleby John McEnery passed away in 2019, and the actor playing his boss Paul Scofield also passed away in 2008.

Bartleby starts working at an accounting office, he is an eccentric introverted guy. Soon he develops a habit of refusing tasks and summons by his boss, by saying the now-popular phrase "I'd prefer not to", which baffles his coworkers and boss. His boss in his late 50s or early 60s I guess does not know how to handle his eccentric behaviour and takes sympathy with him, tries in vain to train and warm him up to the job, and develops some kind of emotional attachment to him.

I think Bartleby was an INFP and his boss at the accounting office was an ISTJ, who in his elder age developed a sympathy for that inept and helpless NF guy. I guess he may even have imagined Bartleby as a son he never had.

Bartleby Compilation

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love Bartleby. Enneagram 9, I think, with such stubborn resistance.

yeghor

I love Bartleby. Enneagram 9, I think, with such stubborn resistance.

Enneagram 9 Core fears are listed as: Conflict, being overlooked and ignored, being loveless, complication, discord, being shut out, inharmonious

Enneagram 9 wants are listed as: Harmony

Bartleby doesn't seem to care about conlicting his boss by refusing orders, causing discord at the office by leading to increased workload for his coworkes and consequently being shut out and ignored by them, and he acts quire inharmoniously at the workplace by not pulling his weight.

Enneagram 9 doesn't fit. I think he's more like an enneagram 4.

Enneagram 4
  • Core Fears: Being easily understood or easily liked, being ordinary, too happy, too satisfied
  • Wants Depth