• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trent Reznor

dotdalidot

MBTI Type
UFO
Hmm. I'm not good at typing. But I don't really feel an INFP vibe from Trent.

I say NTP. More E, but only because he has that aura of being able to handle social situations well. And I don't really sense social awkwardness from him.

That's my two cents. :D

augmented

MBTI Type
ENTP
where the fuck does anyone get ENTP? honestly, i cannot understand. aren't ENTPs like, lively and shit? i know thats simplistic reasoning but his lyrics are entirely a combination of intuition and Fi. i don't know why anyone would think he's an extravert either; he is on record as saying he doesnt like people, doesnt get along with people, whatever, and fine i know a lot of extraverts hate people but that doesnt = evidence. clinical depression, keeping to ones self, self-expression through music, even drug abuse are all a lot more likely to indicate introversion than extroversion; i know its not proof but the evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of I.

i could see INFP or INTJ.

redacted

^INFP

You're quite right that ENTP isn't close at all. But I'm worried I'm gonna bring Jack Flak back in here and have the same debate as earlier in the thread...

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
He must be a really fucked-up ENTP to be an ENTP.

"I've always been attracted to darker things. That's a side of me. How far does things go? If there's a snuff movie I want to see it. I'm not supporting it, but yea I guess I am, but I am curious."

"I used to really fear being alone and hated it. Lately I've come to terms with it. I'm not saying I hope to be alone the rest of my life. I think everyone is alone really. I'm a lot more comfortable with who I am in my head."

"My music has been a sort of personal therapy. It's got me out of tough times, it has been the friend that I needed, when I didn't have a friend there."

"It's like beating your head open and unzipping your chest cavity saying 'here are my guts - everything I've felt, including a lot of stuff I'm not proud of'. It's hard. It uses you up. I walk off stage sometimes and feel like I've just slept with everybody in the audience." (on performing)

"I pop the video in, and wow. Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps...Wow. I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore...It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some words and music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. That winds up reinterpreted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning. Different, but every bit as pure." (on his emotions upon watching the video of Johnny Cash's cover of his song "Hurt")

[youtube="JJTtVRW9ii4"]about (making) ghosts[/youtube]

lol the animation is so funny

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think He's INFP.
I can't offer any argument other than you guys would have to climb inside my head. INFPs can pretty disaplined when driven by internal need.
It's not that I want to claim him for my own type, but as Captain Chick stated earlier, his work speaks to me like no other artists does....

jellyfish

MBTI Type
INTP
His work speaks to me as well, but I doubt he's an INTP.
If he was, he would have done much less work... He wouldn't have the great focus he supposedly has.
I personally see him as either an INTJ or INFP.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
After wading through all these comments (which I realize are old now) I think it might be helpful to bring up something my favorite English teacher always used to tell me. When we read and analyze poetry, we must do so considering the speaker's voice, and not the poet's voice.

People who write poems have the freedom to invent personas (and often do), so we must never assume that the poem itself is based exactly on the personal experience of the poet. Many poems are directly related to the poet's personal experience, but some are also a mix of personal experience with invention, or even 100% invention and 0 direct life experience. (In other words, you could write a song from the perspective of someone who's been raped without actually having been raped yourself. It would be incorrect, then, for people to assume that you, the poet, had been raped. It is your speaker, your character, who was raped.) Also, as poets mature and gain skill, they often tend to branch out and write from different perspectives.

I think this can and ought to apply to Reznor's lyrical work. My English teacher would crack us on the head if she found us trying to analyze a person's personality based on his lyrics.

Aside from that, I think it's difficult to take bits and pieces from interviews and try to determine someone's personality type. As was mentioned, none of us actually knows Trent Reznor, and we probably perceive what he's like based on what his art means to us personally.

Last edited:

VagrantFarce

I thought it was decided he was INTJ in the celebrities megathread? Seems like the best fit to me. It would certainly explain the sudden appearance of his huge physique (inferior Se + middle-aged)

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought it was decided he was INTJ in the celebrities megathread? Seems like the best fit to me. It would certainly explain the sudden appearance of his huge physique (inferior Se + middle-aged)

more like being a slave to physical impules and childishly being vulneralbility
INTJ all the way

Soar337

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Anyone who says Trent's an S needs to sort their head out..pfft.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Every Day Is Exactly The Same isn't about predicting the future; it's about being stuck in your life and nothing new is happening.

Also when watching interviews from when he's about 40, he's still talking about being unsure of himself and doubting his abilities and second-guessing his choices. He doesn't have a clear vision of what he's going to do or who he's going to be. I definiteley think an INTJ that old would be more confident in his skills. That guy never had a plan for anything; take Ghosts for example.

"The idea for this record came about the end of '91 when we finished the first Lollapalooza, and we went to Europe. I was sitting in the hotel room and I was kind of seeing the energy that Nine Inch Nails was drawing on. It was a definite negative vibe, and although [...] it was powerful, it's ultimately not the end of the road: a means towards something else - I'm not sure what that is and [...] I kinda came up with the idea of [The] Downward Spiral which I knew would be a pretty harrowing exploration of that. So, this record was focusing on those certain things that were bothering me that I felt needed exploring - which is not to say that everything in my life is totally terrible and negative, but it was a record about a certain set of things and that's what I wanted to explore."

- Trent Reznor about The Downward Spiral

I think that isn't a very Ni statement at all. It's more of a Ne thing; more exploration and less fulfilling a vision.

And he's a 5w4 sx/sp, making him seem a bit more aloof and less warm. However I would like to disagree with Speed Gavroche's assertion that he's an INTP, I'm going to need some evidence of his Ti-usage for that. My opinion is INFP.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Every Day Is Exactly The Same isn't about predicting the future; it's about being stuck in your life and nothing new is happening.

Also when watching interviews from when he's about 40, he's still talking about being unsure of himself and doubting his abilities and second-guessing his choices. He doesn't have a clear vision of what he's going to do or who he's going to be. I definiteley think an INTJ that old would be more confident in his skills. That guy never had a plan for anything; take Ghosts for example.

- Trent Reznor about The Downward Spiral

I think that isn't a very Ni statement at all. It's more of a Ne thing; more exploration and less fulfilling a vision.

And he's a 5w4 sx/sp, making him seem a bit more aloof and less warm. However I would like to disagree with Speed Gavroche's assertion that he's an INTP, I'm going to need some evidence of his Ti-usage for that. My opinion is INFP.

Whatever he is, it's exacerbated by severe depression and herion addiction.

He's so fucking whiny he annoys me. Like, I loved NIN at one point, thought he was a genius, but his music just increasingly over the years bored and irritated me because he's always bitching and whining about HIMSELF. I can't fathom him being anything but IxFP or a broken INTJ.

crack

Change of vote. INFP "soul", inside, INTJ outer shell/outer manifestation in this world.

There's simply no way an INTJ can have that depth of feeling, I've decided, because emotions (Fi, the stuff he obviously has a lot of) are prioritized below too many other things to INTJ for them to come out so obviously or overtly and all the time and so clearly. "Strong Fi" does not cut it; it's clear that Fi is his TOP priority which makes him not an INTJ. But the way he presents his work and himself as well, like the "filter" through which his inside goes before it's "channeled" through to outer expression (thus the word "manifestation") is ridiculously INTJ [to me, that is].

This means: "He" is an INFP. Considering he's an INFP I can see him being 5w4 instead of 4w5... but I don't care to explain why at the moment. Just putting down my vote.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
INxJ no doubt

J because his music is so consistent in theme & he generally sticks to the same expressive style... he lacks the zaniness & (or) idiosyncrasy I tend to notice in INFP peepls.

great artist though

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INxJ no doubt

J because his music is so consistent in theme & he generally sticks to the same expressive style
Yeah that would suggest Si (+ Fi) wouldn't it?

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Consistency / regularity seem like P vs J issues, not really connected to any other functions
Consistency is heavily connected with Si. Going solely by letters isn't really a good way of typing; functions are what matter most.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Consistency is heavily connected with Si.

So are you saying he's an ISJ?

Si for an INFP is in the third position... meaning-- as I understand it-- it only plays a strong role in behavior when you're either very at-ease or very uncomfortable.

Going solely by letters isn't really a good way of typing; functions are what matter most.

But weren't the function dynamics a later addition to the theory?