• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trent Reznor

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Well he was certainly pretty unhealthy when he was writing the downward spiral and the fragile.

Drugs.
His drug use, I believe, was just a secondary issue to what was/is his primary pathological condition as that of being severely existentially depressed.

particularsolution

MBTI Type
INTP
I would also like to add that I have spent a SIGNIFICANT amount of time researching Trent, listening to Trent, watching Trent and reading Trent.

He is one of the select few artists whom I've really felt a deep connection to.

Y'all are typing him from a distance and hence are producing inaccurate assessments of his personality and type.

i don't feel any connection to trent reznor because I DON'T KNOW HIM. none of us do. we are all typing him at a distance. we are speculating. sometimes it can be a fun discussion but evidently it has spiraled into a petty argument where everybody invokes some "deeper understanding" of trent reznor. ugh.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
are you referring to the "reznor entp" google search? not sure if that convinces me. i wouldn't think needing to see people after being holed up in a studio for months at a time necessarily means you are an extrovert either. i'm definitely an introvert and sometimes i need to be around people, part of being human.

i also am not so convinced on the P. his work ethic and perfectionism seems like a J trait. a quote from someone he worked with in a studio prior to NIN:

"so focused in everything he [did]. When that guy waxed the floor, it looked great."

i can't imagine an NP being "focused". they are usually too busy daydreaming to be bothered to wax a floor to perfection. i realize this is only one quote and it's a bit naive to extrapolate so much but it seems to be the same way he works with NIN. tireless, focused... true perfectionist. endlessly layering samples. again, INTPs can definitely get into the uber-focused mode and work tirelessly at something they are interested in so you never know. it's hard to make guesses like these without really knowing the person, just the art... but that's what makes this so fun.
Pfft!!!

NP geniuses experience flow where they can spend hours on end "in the zone" without realizing how much time, days, weeks have passed while they were in this trance-like, uber-focused mode.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
i don't feel any connection to trent reznor because I DON'T KNOW HIM.
LOL!!!

I don't "know" Bukowski, Ani DiFranco, J.D. Salinger, Chuck Palahniuk, M.C. Escher, Shakespeare, Slug from Atmosphere, Lucretius, etc. but I do *know* them through their work.

Why do you think artists and writers produce work?

TO EXPRESS/SHARE THEIR PERSPECTIVES!!!!!

I owe my life to people that I "don't know" according to you because I have never physically met them.

Lol, laughable man.

particularsolution

MBTI Type
INTP
LOL!!!

I don't "know" Bukowski, Ani DiFranco, J.D. Salinger, Chuck Palahniuk, M.C. Escher, Shakespeare, Slug from Atmosphere, Lucretius, etc. but I do *know* them through their work.

Why do you think artists and writers produce work?

TO EXPRESS/SHARE THEIR PERSPECTIVES!!!!!

I owe my life to people that I "don't know" according to you because I have never physically met them.

Lol, laughable man.

metaphysical connections aside you don't know them. you may feel like you just really "get" trent reznor because you listen to his music and it really strikes a chord with you and all that jazz... but ultimately, KNOWING someone, knowing who they are enough to know their type, takes a little bit more than listening to some songs and watching some interviews on youtube.

if you want to argue for his type make a better case for it than that.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
metaphysical connections aside you don't know them. you may feel like you just really "get" trent reznor because you listen to his music and it really strikes a chord with you and all that jazz... but ultimately, KNOWING someone, knowing who they are enough to know their type, takes a little bit more than listening to some songs and watching some interviews on youtube.

if you want to argue for his type make a better case for it than that.

So would you say someone's personality doesn't show through their work, art, how they carry themselves, what they say...etc..?

particularsolution

MBTI Type
INTP
Pfft!!!

NP geniuses experience flow where they can spend hours on end "in the zone" without realizing how much time, days, weeks have passed while they were in this trance-like, uber-focused mode.

if you bothered to read my posts you would see that i mentioned that. i was basing that comment on my own experiences as an INTP. i know i generally don't have what it takes to be very focused on a job but sometimes i manage to pull it off if it's something that interests me... but even then it's rare. NPs are much better at coming up with plans than implementing them. but you already know that.

particularsolution

MBTI Type
INTP
So would you say someone's personality doesn't show through their work, art, how they carry themselves, what they say...etc..?

ugh, maybe i went overboard. it does to an extent. we can sit here speculating based on his music and art etc... what type he seems to be. i just can't buy all these "i know trent reznor better" claims to refute my ideas. none of us know him. we are just SPECULATING. frustrating.

redacted

His drug use, I believe, was just a secondary issue to what was/is his primary pathological condition as that of being severely existentially depressed.

I agree.

His horrible depression is what made his music, though. That's why The Downward Spiral and The Fragile were so fucking amazing. That's also why I don't like anything past Halo 17.

Again, I'd believe INFP or INTJ. I might actually lean more towards INTJ at this point -- his music strikes me as more Ni than Ne, just due to the insanely detailed themes in his albums.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I agree.

His horrible depression is what made his music, though. That's why The Downward Spiral and The Fragile were so fucking amazing. That's also why I don't like anything past Halo 17.

Depression makes good music, but so does being really, really high.

Anyone else notice that once artists get clean and sober up, they start sucking?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
ugh, maybe i went overboard. it does to an extent. we can sit here speculating based on his music and art etc... what type he seems to be. i just can't buy all these "i know trent reznor better" claims to refute my ideas. none of us know him. we are just SPECULATING. frustrating.

ENFP Relationships

Most ENFPs will exhibit the following strengths with regards to relationships issues:

* Good communication skills
* Very perceptive about people's thought and motives

* Motivational, inspirational; bring out the best in others
* Warmly affectionate and affirming
* Fun to be with - lively sense of humor, dramatic, energetic, optimistic
* Strive for "win-win" situations
* Driven to meet other's needs
* Usually loyal and dedicated

INTP Relationships

INTP Weaknesses

* Not naturally in tune with others' feelings; slow to respond to emotional needs
* Not naturally good at expressing their own feelings and emotions

The largest area of potential strife in an INTP's intimate relationship is their slowness in understanding and meeting their partner's emotional needs. The INTP may be extremely dedicated to the relationship, and deeply in love with their partner, but may have no understanding of their mate's emotional life,

redacted

Depression makes good music, but so does being really, really high.

Anyone else notice that once artists get clean and sober up, they start sucking?

YES. Too bad that horrible depression and drug addiction makes such good music.

One of my best friends ever was an amazing super genious songwriter and singer, and he was insanely depressed and addicted to drugs for his whole life. We were starting a band (I was one of the only musicians he actually considered working with), but he went to rehab, ditched the program, and overdosed and died.

Too smart for this world. His mom couldn't handle him and treated him like shit. Basically no one understood him except me and a few others, but he felt too much shame coming to me when he was on meth or heroin. He was sleeping on the streets for a while and would call me to crash at my place every few weeks; he'd play me his music and it would literally bring tears to my eyes.

Horrible story.

(He was an ENFP.)

particularsolution

MBTI Type
INTP
I agree.

Again, I'd believe INFP or INTJ. I might actually lean more towards INTJ at this point -- his music strikes me as more Ni than Ne, just due to the insanely detailed themes in his albums.

finally someone somewhat agrees with me... and actually gives a reason why!

particularsolution

MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, pretty much every type profile is bullshit.

i can't tell if this is meant sarcastically or not.

what i meant to say was that her use of that was a huuuuge overgeneralization. as in, the fact that i'm intp means i'm incapable of understanding someone's emotions or understanding other people. it was quoted to trump me in the debate. it was petty. which is why i responded with a petty, emotional response of my own. ugh.