• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Romantic Poets

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
John Keats: INFP
William Blake: INFJ
William Wordsworth: ISFJ
Lord Byron: ENTP
Samuel Taylor Coleridge: INtP
Percy Shelley: ISFP

Hard to type, esp. because they the whole Romanticism movement seems very N orientated.
Felt like some of these people have been typed before somewhere, but couldn't find any threads so thought I'd start one anew. I know that the majority of artistic endeavours are the product of SFs, however I feel that the Romantic movement was an INFPish approach to art...

I'm loath to type as INFP, as I feel that I may project this on to them as I want them to be INFPs!

Last edited:

heart

heart on fire
I thought Blake was likely NFP because of his focus on good and evil and dualism.

My guess for Byron was ENTP

Shelley ISFP

Keats an achetypal INFP

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I thought Blake was likely NFP because of his focus on good and evil and dualism.

My guess for Byron was ENTP

Shelley ISFP

Keats an achetypal INFP

Ironically all of these typings were my initial instincts

heart

heart on fire
I asked for other opinions on Blake's type here before and recieved no answers.

I think Novalis was INFP as well.

Ironically all of these typings were my initial instincts

Got to trust that Fi/Ne connection and let Te stew in the corner sometimes. :)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I must have missed the Blake thread, heart. I love Blake. I would guess INFJ for a number of reasons, foremost being that he seems to be VERY ni-dominant. That, and INFJ and mystic are so inextricably linked in my mind. Also, his systemic approach seem Jish. But INFP would not be far behind INFJ, and I probably wouldn't entertain any other types for him.

I would definitely agree with ISFP for Shelley, ENTP for Byron, and INFP for Keats. No doubt. I'd likely go with INTP for Coleridge with a heavy "maybe" and acknowledgment that INFP is just about as likely. Wordsworth, I'm not sure about- maybe ISFJ.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Mary Shelley, while not a Romantic poet, seems fairly INFP to me.

Mary Wollestonecraft, INTJ maybe? Possibly even an E.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
How does one tell whether a poet is an Introvert or an Extravert simply from reading his or her writings?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I am not relying only on their poetry, but also journal-style (travel and diary) writings and more objective biographical info.

heart

heart on fire
How does one tell whether a poet is an Introvert or an Extravert simply from reading his or her writings?

You don't, you read about their lives and how they interacted with other people, their journals, etc. Anyway it's all just guesses and good fun. :D

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'd likely go with INTP for Coleridge with a heavy "maybe" and acknowledgment that INFP is just about as likely. Wordsworth, I'm not sure about- maybe ISFJ.

I'm inclined to agree with you on Coleridge. I'd like to know how you came to type WW as ISFJ, as this was my initail instinct with him.

heart

heart on fire
I must have missed the Blake thread, heart. I love Blake. I would guess INFJ for a number of reasons, foremost being that he seems to be VERY ni-dominant. That, and INFJ and mystic are so inextricably linked in my mind. Also, his systemic approach seem Jish. But INFP would not be far behind INFJ, and I probably wouldn't entertain any other types for him.

The only reason I want to NFP is that he is so fascinated with dualism and many of his core ideology falling so close in line with many Jung ideas that also struck a cord within me about dualism. He definately wanted to place order into his visionary framework which seems more internal judger than internal perception...But I am unsure.:unsure: I'm certainly no expert! :D

I would definitely agree with ISFP for Shelley, ENTP for Byron, and INFP for Keats. No doubt. I'd likely go with INTP for Coleridge with a heavy "maybe" and acknowledgment that INFP is just about as likely. Wordsworth, I'm not sure about- maybe ISFJ.

I haven't read that much about Wordsworth's life to feel secure making a guess, but I tend to agree with your choices for Coleridge and also Mary Shelly (fascinating persona) and Mary W. definately.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm inclined to agree with you on Coleridge. I'd like to know how you came to type WW as ISFJ, as this was my initail instinct with him.

A lot of that was the way that he nurtured and cared for STC, which reminded me very much of the INTP/ISFJ relationships I've seen in real life. He also seemed to focus on the natural world and a direct appreciation of it. Some people would assume N for any poet, and especially one who speaks as much as WW did of transcendence. But I don't think transcendence is outside the realm of the ISFJ, far from it. He speaks of it in a very organic, hands-on way, IMO.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
A lot of that was the way that he nurtured and cared for STC, which reminded me very much of the INTP/ISFJ relationships I've seen in real life. He also seemed to focus on the natural world and a direct appreciation of it. Some people would assume N for any poet, and especially one who speaks as much as WW did of transcendence. But I don't think transcendence is outside the realm of the ISFJ, far from it. He speaks of it in a very organic, hands-on way, IMO.

WW does seem to do transcendence in a very S way. Remember that the WW/STC relationship was not always sanguine. They were not on speaking terms by the end of their lives.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
WW does seem to do transcendence in a very S way. Remember that the WW/STC relationship was not always sanguine. They were not on speaking terms by the end of their lives.

No, I know that--but for many years he was very, very patient and supportive with STC, and even esteemed his philosophical talent above his own (though STC believed WW to be the superior poet). When he stopped associating with STC it was over STC's addicition to laudanum. I got the impression WW was sad about having to wash his hands of STC but realized he couldn't single-handedly pull him out of the funk.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
No, I know that--but for many years he was very, very patient and supportive with STC, and even esteemed his philosophical talent above his own (though STC believed WW to be the superior poet). When he stopped associating with STC it was over STC's addicition to laudanum. I got the impression WW was sad about having to wash his hands of STC but realized he couldn't single-handedly pull him out of the funk.

Hmm. I concur. Funny how there seems to be very few ISFJ poets, yet the one that there is is one of the best that the world has ever seen. Maybe more ISFJs should take up poetry :cheese:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Si+Fe can make a heck of a poet, I think. ISFJs are singularly observant about the natural world, as well as the social world in a way that is neither outsider nor insider.

S

Sniffles

I've seen Blake classified as an Introverted Intuitive.

Wonderful idea for a thread. The Romantic Poets are probably among my favorites. Perhaps we should expand it beyond just English Romantic poets, but also explore Continental ones too. ;)

Goethe I know is often classifed as INFJ, and he was a proto-Romantic.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Mary Shelley, while not a Romantic poet, seems fairly INFP to me.

Mary Wollestonecraft, INTJ maybe? Possibly even an E.

I'd agree that Mary Shelley is an INFP.