• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

SpongeBob Myers Briggs

BatmanFanatic

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm curious as to what you guys think. I'm only typing for the pre-first movie episodes.

SpongeBob - ESFJ
Patrick - ISTP:
Squidward - ISFP
Mr. Krabs - ExTJ
Plankton - ENTJ
Sandy - ESTP
Gary - INTP
The Dutchman - ESTP

Antimony96

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Krabs is ESTJ--the tertiary Ne is obvious.

As a refugee from Personality-Databank, the overwhelming consensus on Patrick is INTP, just a very stupid one.

BatmanFanatic

MBTI Type
ENTP
I actually beg to differ. To me, Patrick never shows any overwhelming Ne. All of his interests are completely sensory based. For example, he loves eating, watching TV and jellyfishing, all sensory based activities. He also has much better coordination then SpongeBob, as he's able to drive a boat much more easily then he can. My theory is that he's perpetually stoned, so that he's far more intelligent then he lets on.

BatmanFanatic

MBTI Type
ENTP
Additionally, he shows occasional Ni, when he proposes that Bikini Bottom push itself away from the giant worm. While an INTP would merely sarcastically suggest this without actually acting on it, Patrick actually follows through on this plan.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
imo,

Spongebob: ENFP 9w1 sx/so
Partick: ISTP 7w6 sx/sp
Squidward: IxTJ 4w3 so/sp
Mr.Krabs: ESTJ 3w2 sp/sp
Plankton: ISFP 8w7 so/sx
Sandy: INTP 6w5 sp/so
Gary: INFJ 7w6 sp/so
Mrs.Puff: ISFJ 6w7 so/sx

I can't think of any other characters with enough screen time to type. The only one I am iffy on is Squidward, because I have solid arguments for him being both ISTJ and INTJ. My current thinking has him leaning towards ISTJ.

Last edited:

tightropedmbti

MBTI Type
INFJ
After a long time of careful consideration, here are my thoughts:

Spongebob:ENFP
Patrick: ESFP
Mr. Krabs: ENTP
Plankton: ISTJ
Karen: INTP
Pearl: ESFJ
Gary: INTJ

For the life of me I still can't type Squidward lol.

Let me know if you want some evidence backing up my case :)

BatmanFanatic

MBTI Type
ENTP
After a long time of careful consideration, here are my thoughts:

Spongebob:ENFP
Patrick: ESFP
Mr. Krabs: ENTP
Plankton: ISTJ
Karen: INTP
Pearl: ESFJ
Gary: INTJ

For the life of me I still can't type Squidward lol.

Let me know if you want some evidence backing up my case :)

Yeah, I'd definitely like evidence. I don't personally see how some of these make sense, but if you can provide evidence, I might change my mind.

tightropedmbti

MBTI Type
INFJ
Yeah, I'd definitely like evidence. I don't personally see how some of these make sense, but if you can provide evidence, I might change my mind.
Wow I'm so sorry I didn't reply sooner, sickness and school life has been against me. OK, after a loooooonggg consideration, I might retype most of them. Just thinking about it for a while, and after comparing them to other characters, I am not finding any resemblance with cognitive functions. In short, I'm not comfortable with this typing either, so I'll change these typings as soon as I can.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm curious as to what you guys think. I'm only typing for the pre-first movie episodes.

SpongeBob - ESFJ
Patrick - ISTP:
Squidward - ISFP
Mr. Krabs - ExTJ
Plankton - ENTJ
Sandy - ESTP
Gary - INTP
The Dutchman - ESTP

Agree with all of them except I'd say Patrick is definitely more of a Feeling type and Squidward gives off IxxJ vibes.

I'd go with ESTJ for Krabs.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Weirdly enough it's so patronizing to me to type this show with mbti. It's like does it really enhance this show by having labels attached to them rather than enjoying their personalities as unique and something to love for their own?

like why I enjoyed this show was that I saw them as unique characters that allowed me to be surprised by their acts and not be bored because I didn't care to predict what they'd do.

Even though they were anthropormorphosized, I love I couldn't relate them to anyone else. It's rare. I mean in our tv shows today so many have so predictable and ordinary personalities that predicting or saying oh yeah duh come on guys. He's a reckless fool of course he is going with the most risky plan of the show ok guys?

Haha I feel like a parent now. I'm so old. ;(

Now obviously their personalities were constant in a way which was nice too but again a label and the whole cognitive theory is like try to draw blood out of rocks. *holds to explain any further*

BatmanFanatic

MBTI Type
ENTP
Agree with all of them except I'd say Patrick is definitely more of a Feeling type and Squidward gives off IxxJ vibes.

I'd go with ESTJ for Krabs.

Regarding Squidward, I see him as an ISFP for several reasons. One thing you need to realize with his character is that he's under frequent stress, courtesy of his neighbors. Therefore, we don't get to often see him when he's calm. Whenever he's calm, there's visible Fi-Se that's present in his artwork. Nearly everything he designs resembles him. Remember, he has shown to sometimes enjoy quite thrilling activities, such as when he legitimately gets into the idea of driving a race car in "Idiot Box" and when he declares that he wants to be a hot rod in a later episode. Regarding his clarinet skills, he doesn't care what others think about his lack of talent, continuing to play the same way. He's also HORRIBLY disorganized at his job, whereas an ISTJ would take any job seriously, no matter how much they didn't like it. His tertiary Fi is definitely explainable, in that he rarely takes action against SpongeBob and Patrick, showing that he has a poor grasp on future implications of their actions. His aspirations to greatness also reflect on his poor Ni, as he proves time and time again to be inept at making his dreams a reality. Since types' inferior functions will often come out under stress, his blunt Te, which is only used to reprimand others, rather then organize his environment, seems to be a much more prominent part of his personality then it really is.

tightropedmbti

MBTI Type
INFJ
Apologies in advance, this is going to be a long post, but after many apparent mistakes here is my official typing. Heads up I could not really type these charcters until I see them interacting with Spongebob, so this post will mention him a lot (Karen being the exception).

Spongebob: ESFJ
Fe: A tidal wave of emotions ALL the time.
Si: Instead of reasoning he always searches back to what he has learned before.
Ne: thinks of a million ways thigs can either go right or wrong.
Ti: Rarely uses unquestioning logic in making decisions.

Patrick: ESTP
Se: What he first notices in every episode is his physical environment (ironically he is not very observant in picking up physical cues).
Ti: Uses creative construction combined with his Se to do some real crazy shit.
Fe: More in tuned with social norms than I realized, also is open about needing affection.
Ni: His underlying instinct is shown in many episodes that he blatantly ignores because of the false conclusions he bases off of physical evidence and a half baked attempt at logic.

Squidward: ISTJ
Si: Has always preferred the traditional method of things.
Te: Defys every little idea Spongebob comes up with by stating rock solid reasoning.
Fi: He likes his personal feelings to himself, but sometimes he needs Spongebob to grow as a squid.
Ne: Literally 10x worse than when Spongebob goes on an Ne attack.

Sandy: ISTP
Ti: A scientist who always responds to Spongebob's ideas with ideas with rational fine tuning.
Se: Adrenaline junkie, body builder, really knows her body.
Ni: Very spot on when she tries to figure out what the hell Sppongebob has done to mess up this time.
Fe: Very friendly, but never outspoken when it comes to her personal feelings.

Eugene Krabs: ESTJ
Te: If the greed can be taken away foe a minute, he is a pretty sensible crab who doesn't like to take any of Spongebob's crap.
Si: Literally everything surrounding him is memorabilia, and he always goes to what he knows when he tries to attract customers.
Ne: The episodes are a lot funnier when his Ne kicks in, coming up with some unimaginable stuff to improve business.
Fi: Never talks about his personal feelings at all (usually it's just Spongebob who picks up on this).

Plankton: INTP
Ti: His logic assists him in creating effective methods to get the formula (sadly he's not very gifted in planning ahead), hates unnecessary emotions a.k.a Spongebob.
Ne: Basically every stunut he has pulled to obtain the formula.
Si: Always looks back to what he he tried or learned before (and problably the reason he can't let go of the fact that Mr. Krabs is more successful than him), also ties in to his wallowing.
Fe: Needs validation 24/7 especially if he's failing 24/7, wallows like sin.

Karen: ENTP
Ne: She's much quicker in sorting out possible ways to obtains the formula, and unlike PLankton, can pin point the most efficient options (yet plankton never goes for them because he's never tried anything similar before).
Ti: As a computer, she's gotta compute; she's the one who checks Plankton's logical inconsistencies.
Fe: Although she doesn't necessarily ask for it, she expects to be acknowledged for her work and validated as a wife, which is where the marriage problems usually start.
Si: She probably has better things to do than watch Plankton fail again and again but in the end she stays with Plankton and sets out on what she was programmed to do: compute.

Gary: INFJ
Ni: He seems to base decisions off with his hunches. When Spongebob invaded his dream in that one episode, both his dream and way of explanation on what was happening to Spongebob resembled heavy symbolism. He can very easliy read people.
Fe: Gary is very openly affectionate to his owner along with other people, and is able to read their feelings very well.
Ti: Chances are the comebacks we never heard from Gary was his Ti, rebuking Spongebob's reasoning with rationality.
Se: Gary is very quiet and very aware of his environment, doesn't seem to appreciate loud noises or Spongebob's antics in the slightest.

Those are all the characters I can really type at the moment. Let me know what you think!

BatmanFanatic

MBTI Type
ENTP
Apologies in advance, this is going to be a long post, but after many apparent mistakes here is my official typing. Heads up I could not really type these charcters until I see them interacting with Spongebob, so this post will mention him a lot (Karen being the exception).

Spongebob: ESFJ
Fe: A tidal wave of emotions ALL the time.
Si: Instead of reasoning he always searches back to what he has learned before.
Ne: thinks of a million ways thigs can either go right or wrong.
Ti: Rarely uses unquestioning logic in making decisions.

Patrick: ESTP
Se: What he first notices in every episode is his physical environment (ironically he is not very observant in picking up physical cues).
Ti: Uses creative construction combined with his Se to do some real crazy shit.
Fe: More in tuned with social norms than I realized, also is open about needing affection.
Ni: His underlying instinct is shown in many episodes that he blatantly ignores because of the false conclusions he bases off of physical evidence and a half baked attempt at logic.

Squidward: ISTJ
Si: Has always preferred the traditional method of things.
Te: Defys every little idea Spongebob comes up with by stating rock solid reasoning.
Fi: He likes his personal feelings to himself, but sometimes he needs Spongebob to grow as a squid.
Ne: Literally 10x worse than when Spongebob goes on an Ne attack.

Sandy: ISTP
Ti: A scientist who always responds to Spongebob's ideas with ideas with rational fine tuning.
Se: Adrenaline junkie, body builder, really knows her body.
Ni: Very spot on when she tries to figure out what the hell Sppongebob has done to mess up this time.
Fe: Very friendly, but never outspoken when it comes to her personal feelings.

Eugene Krabs: ESTJ
Te: If the greed can be taken away foe a minute, he is a pretty sensible crab who doesn't like to take any of Spongebob's crap.
Si: Literally everything surrounding him is memorabilia, and he always goes to what he knows when he tries to attract customers.
Ne: The episodes are a lot funnier when his Ne kicks in, coming up with some unimaginable stuff to improve business.
Fi: Never talks about his personal feelings at all (usually it's just Spongebob who picks up on this).

Plankton: INTP
Ti: His logic assists him in creating effective methods to get the formula (sadly he's not very gifted in planning ahead), hates unnecessary emotions a.k.a Spongebob.
Ne: Basically every stunut he has pulled to obtain the formula.
Si: Always looks back to what he he tried or learned before (and problably the reason he can't let go of the fact that Mr. Krabs is more successful than him), also ties in to his wallowing.
Fe: Needs validation 24/7 especially if he's failing 24/7, wallows like sin.

Karen: ENTP
Ne: She's much quicker in sorting out possible ways to obtains the formula, and unlike PLankton, can pin point the most efficient options (yet plankton never goes for them because he's never tried anything similar before).
Ti: As a computer, she's gotta compute; she's the one who checks Plankton's logical inconsistencies.
Fe: Although she doesn't necessarily ask for it, she expects to be acknowledged for her work and validated as a wife, which is where the marriage problems usually start.
Si: She probably has better things to do than watch Plankton fail again and again but in the end she stays with Plankton and sets out on what she was programmed to do: compute.

Gary: INFJ
Ni: He seems to base decisions off with his hunches. When Spongebob invaded his dream in that one episode, both his dream and way of explanation on what was happening to Spongebob resembled heavy symbolism. He can very easliy read people.
Fe: Gary is very openly affectionate to his owner along with other people, and is able to read their feelings very well.
Ti: Chances are the comebacks we never heard from Gary was his Ti, rebuking Spongebob's reasoning with rationality.
Se: Gary is very quiet and very aware of his environment, doesn't seem to appreciate loud noises or Spongebob's antics in the slightest.

Those are all the characters I can really type at the moment. Let me know what you think!

I agree with everyone but Squidward. Remember, when a type is under constant stress, they'll user their lower functions in place of their top ones. However, Squidward has no Ne to speak of.

Fi: He's totally obsessed with his view of himself, how he values things.
Se: He's a painter and a musician. Has a natural awareness of his environment and notices details.
Ni: Sometimes sees the consequences of SB and Patrick's actions, but usually does nothing to take action about them.
Te: When stressed out, he's very blunt, but he's not organized.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I agree with everyone but Squidward. Remember, when a type is under constant stress, they'll user their lower functions in place of their top ones. However, Squidward has no Ne to speak of.

Fi: He's totally obsessed with his view of himself, how he values things.
Se: He's a painter and a musician. Has a natural awareness of his environment and notices details.
Ni: Sometimes sees the consequences of SB and Patrick's actions, but usually does nothing to take action about them.
Te: When stressed out, he's very blunt, but he's not organized.

Stressed IxTJs tend to appear as IxFP because of their tertiary function.

BatmanFanatic

MBTI Type
ENTP
Stressed IxTJs tend to appear as IxFP because of their tertiary function.

I still don't see Squidward as an IxTJ. Remember, IxTJs have decent work ethics. They wouldn't endlessly complain about their job while keeping a messy desk. They also aren't the artistic types either, usually.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
They wouldn't endlessly complain about their job while keeping a messy desk. They also aren't the artistic types either, usually.

LMAO HAVE YOU MET AN IxTJ? THEY'RE WHINY AF. Also IxTJs are very artistic and creative. That stereotype, especially when it comes to ISTJs, is so harmful.

BatmanFanatic

MBTI Type
ENTP
LMAO HAVE YOU MET AN IxTJ? THEY'RE WHINY AF. Also IxTJs are very artistic and creative. That stereotype, especially when it comes to ISTJs, is so harmful.

No, I know they're whiny. It's just that the stereotype is that they don't complain about their jobs, as they're "dutiful", at least ISTJs are.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No, I know they're whiny. It's just that the stereotype is that they don't complain about their jobs, as they're "dutiful", at least ISTJs are.

One of my closest friends is an ISTJ, he worked at McDonalds for 6 years while going to high school and college and acted pretty much exactly like Squidward on the job hahahaha!! :laugh:

SalemAlchemist

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
SpongeBob - ENFP
Patrick - ESFP
Squidward - ISTJ
Mr. Krabs - ESTJ
Plankton - IN*J
Sandy - ISTP
Gary - INTP