• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

James Joyce

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You are thinking of autism.

There are a lot of Ni-dom (INTJ) aspies.

I've read Joyce was an aspie.

VagrantFarce

You are thinking of autism.

There are a lot of Ni-dom (INTJ) aspies.

I've read Joyce was an aspie.

According to this site, it's considered a symptom. And Asperger's is a form of autism after all. :)

Lack of imagination and creative play - children with Asperger syndrome are often of average or above intelligence, and may be particularly good at learning facts and figures. However, they may also lack imagination and find creative play or thinking in the abstract very difficult.

This means they may be particularly good at topics such as maths or history, but struggle with subjects such as philosophy, religious education or creative arts.

If Asperger's should be associated with any of the functions, I would say Introverted Sensation is a better match.

VagrantFarce

Well, I could easily dismiss that on the grounds that those people might have the wrong mbti type, or that they have incorrectly self-diagnosed themselves as so many people have on the internet (or indeed, historical figures!). :) Asperger's is all the rage for the socially maladjusted nowadays.

The reason I say that Introverted Sensation is a better fit is because another common sympton of Asperger's (and Autism in general) is an ability to filter large amounts of data for very specific information (which they then collect, for example car licence plates starting with a 7), which is a textbook definition of using Introverted Sensation.

Anyway, I find it hard to beleive that a person with dominant Introverted Intuition has problems thinking abstractly. That just doesn't work. :)

Lotr246

After reading Ulysses, Joyce is definitely Ni dominant, and I'm inclined to say he's an INFJ. The symbolism of Leopold Bloom as a Christ-figure and the empathy Joyce communicates through his character seem to point towards F. And throughout the novel, Joyce is very concerned with the moral judgments of his society. Bloom acts to point out the other characters' misguided beliefs.

Anyone else read Ulysses? What type do you think the main characters are? Here are my guesses on some:

Leopold Bloom: IxFJ
Stephen Dedalus: INxJ
Molly Bloom: xSFP

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have to admit that I've never fully read Ulysses. I simply hated it.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I could easily dismiss that on the grounds that those people might have the wrong mbti type, or that they have incorrectly self-diagnosed themselves as so many people have on the internet (or indeed, historical figures!). :) Asperger's is all the rage for the socially maladjusted nowadays.

The reason I say that Introverted Sensation is a better fit is because another common sympton of Asperger's (and Autism in general) is an ability to filter large amounts of data for very specific information (which they then collect, for example car licence plates starting with a 7), which is a textbook definition of using Introverted Sensation.
And what qualifies you to dismiss the evidence and opinions of experts and sufferers alike in favour of your own simplistic notions on the subject?

VagrantFarce

And what qualifies you to dismiss the evidence and opinions of experts and sufferers alike in favour of your own simplistic notions on the subject?

Well, the simple fact that one of the three main symptoms of Asperger's is a lack of imagination and abstract thinking. Dominant Ni types are easily the most abstract of the 16 types. Either those people have their MBTI type wrong, or they don't have Asperger's.

And yes, a lot of people on the internet like to excuse their social maladjustment with Asperger's, just like in the 1990s people would excuse their child's inability to pay attention with ADD. I don't disbelieve that it's a real syndrome with real sufferers (even though it's been disputed as to whether it should be considered an actual disability, rather than a different cognitive style), but there is a lot of speculative self-diagnosing aimed at people who are, quite frankly, just introverted and a bit geeky. Just because you find it hard to talk to people and have very specific interests isn't enough to confirm that you have Aspergers.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp