• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI and YA Novels

justwhelmed

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm admittedly a big fan of the Young Adult genre and I was thinking it would be cool to have a thread for typing characters from novels in this genre. So, to start off I thought I'd try (I'm probably wrong) to type characters from The Fault in our Stars, and All the Bright Places.

TFIOS:

-Hazel- INFJ? It's either that or INFP but I'm pretty convinced she uses Ni and not Ne. She doesn't see the possibilities, so much as live in a world of metaphor and symbolism. I'm bad at recognizing Ni, but I'm pretty sure she has it. But I can see the arguments for Fi too... she seems particularly attached to causes she'd encountered in her own life (ie, going vegetarian because she can't stand the idea of taking away a life, her concern for her parents) and what she said to Augustus about one person loving you being enough seemed sort of Fi too. So, does her obsession with An Imperial Affliction because it's specifically about the issues she faces and she is enthralled by the fact that it "gets it". This one is up to you guys, I guess. INFJ or INFP?
-Augustus- ENTP. I'm pretty damn sure on this one. The Ne is clear in this guy from the way he talks to all the ideas he gets. He also clearly likes new-new-new in the way that Ne-doms tend to. I don't see all that much Ti, but I do see Fe. I think it's his lower functions (Fe and Si) that inspire his fear of oblivion actually. Because he wants to be widely loved (Fe) and remembered (Si)

All the Bright Places:

-Finch- ENFP? It's hard to tell with his bipolar. But his fear of medication and stigma is extremely Fi. He also has like tons of personal values (life has too many rules, etc.) and he just seems to be motivated by his beliefs over logic or others' feelings etc.. His Ne is also pretty present. He's mostly concerned with ideas and the exploration of possibilities and the way he writes songs is very Ne as well. The constantly reinventing himself also seems pretty fucking Ne.
-Violet- ISFJ- The way she idolized her older sister is something I find in tons of Si-doms I know. She also seemed to be more concerned and aware of other people's feelings and expectations than Finch was. She was always thinking of how things might affect her parents or how her old friends would view her. I would say Finch put her in touch with her Ne a lot more. She always seemed to have this rationality (Ti) that Finch didn't have but it also lead her to overanalyze things sometimes (like her sister's death) because it wasn't super developed.

Could definitely use your opinions on these and more YA characters :)!

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hazel has always seemed more INFP to me. She uses tons of Fi and Ne. I honestly hated TFIOS. The only characters that I can think of right now are Tris and Cinder, both ISTPs I think.

justwhelmed

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=27495]Punderstorm[/MENTION] Yeah, after some thought I buy INFP. Also, I can understand that. I, personally, really enjoyed it but it's a very polarizing book. Also, I definitely agree with ISTP for Tris and I haven't read Cinder in forever but I could buy ISTP from what I remember. What about the prince in Cinder? Was he even developed enough to type?

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=27495]Punderstorm[/MENTION] Yeah, after some thought I buy INFP. Also, I can understand that. I, personally, really enjoyed it but it's a very polarizing book. Also, I definitely agree with ISTP for Tris and I haven't read Cinder in forever but I could buy ISTP from what I remember. What about the prince in Cinder? Was he even developed enough to type?

Not really, maybe ISFJ? I dunno really, he was kinda boring. I also remember now that four is an ISTP, also the factions correlated to a weird version of the tempermants, Erudite being NT, Amity NF, Dauntless SP, Candor SJ or ST and abnegation being SF.

justwhelmed

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think ISFJ would've probably worked but he was pretty boring. Cinder was a million times more complex and badass. I also buy Four as an ISTP. I think I thought ESTP but he did seem introverted now that I think about it. Also yeah I'd agree with your typing of the factions. Although, I'd say some NT's might fit into Candor haha.

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think ISFJ would've probably worked but he was pretty boring. Cinder was a million times more complex and badass. I also buy Four as an ISTP. I think I thought ESTP but he did seem introverted now that I think about it. Also yeah I'd agree with your typing of the factions. Although, I'd say some NT's might fit into Candor haha.

True! Four is pretty introverted to begin with and lacks inferior Ni. I can see NT in Candor as well, Candor is basically a refuge for thinkers. I honestly would like to see more off the different factions, Candor was probably the least developed. There could've been so much more to divergent, but no, Roth had to ruin it with her crappy writing and horrible executed ending. Anyhow, how about INFJ for trises mom?

justwhelmed

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
True! Four is pretty introverted to begin with and lacks inferior Ni. I can see NT in Candor as well, Candor is basically a refuge for thinkers. I honestly would like to see more off the different factions, Candor was probably the least developed. There could've been so much more to divergent, but no, Roth had to ruin it with her crappy writing and horrible executed ending. Anyhow, how about INFJ for trises mom?

Oh yeah, now that I think on it, I saw more inferior Fe in Four. Also, I agree with you about Candor being a T refuge. And I wholeheartedly agree with how much potential Divergent had and wasted. The world had a really interesting premise and could've been so awesomely fleshed-out. Also, I'd agree with INFJ for Tris' mom. At first, she seemed pretty ISFJ but when you get to know her background and motive, then you can clearly see the Ni-Se

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What type was Christana? ISTJ?

justwhelmed

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I'd agree with that. She could have passed for a kind of reserved ESTJ though. But actually, inferior Ne makes more sense than inferior Fi.

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Caleb is INxx, don't really remember him
Janine is INTP
Eric is ESTP
Tomas INTJ?
Why are all the major villians Ns?

justwhelmed

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Caleb *seemed* kind of INTJ to me, but I could be wrong. Also I agree with those. I'm unsure on the N thing although it is an interesting observation... I think Veronica Roth is an ISFJ so maybe it has to do with her type? I know that dom-Si's sometimes get frustrated with N ideas and values and that Fe-users really don't like insensitive people (which NT's can often accidentally be).

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Caleb *seemed* kind of INTJ to me, but I could be wrong. Also I agree with those. I'm unsure on the N thing although it is an interesting observation... I think Veronica Roth is an ISFJ so maybe it has to do with her type? I know that dom-Si's sometimes get frustrated with N ideas and values and that Fe-users really don't like insensitive people (which NT's can often accidentally be).

INTJ makes sense, Roth is definitely an ISFJ, which would explain that. What type was Trises dad?

justwhelmed

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm. That's hard. He seemed kind of SJ to me but like I might be wrong

justwhelmed

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=27495]Punderstorm[/MENTION] Yeah I'd agree with that. It's funny, now that you've pointed out that almost all of the heroes are S types and all of the villains are N types, I've been thinking about how an author's type affects what their characters types are. For example, JK Rowling is an ISFJ imo and her three main heroes are S types (Harry-ISFP, Hermione-ESTJ, Ron-ESFP), and John Green is probably an INFP and his characters are almost always N-types (Augustus-ENTP, Hazel-INFP, Pudge-INTP?, Margo Roth Spiegelman-ENFP?). Do you think there's any correlation?

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Oooh I have to keep this thread in mind. I am and have always been a HUGE reader.

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=27495]Punderstorm[/MENTION] Yeah I'd agree with that. It's funny, now that you've pointed out that almost all of the heroes are S types and all of the villains are N types, I've been thinking about how an author's type affects what their characters types are. For example, JK Rowling is an ISFJ imo and her three main heroes are S types (Harry-ISFP, Hermione-ESTJ, Ron-ESFP), and John Green is probably an INFP and his characters are almost always N-types (Augustus-ENTP, Hazel-INFP, Pudge-INTP?, Margo Roth Spiegelman-ENFP?). Do you think there's any correlation?

Actually, Rowling is an INFJ. I can definitely see correlation though.

justwhelmed

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure about Rowling. She could be either. It's likely that she's an N type because of her career and I know she identifies as one but I think she could still be an ISFJ. I know a typing blog has her as one and honestly her very specific world-building seems Si-Ne.

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not sure about Rowling. She could be either. It's likely that she's an N type because of her career and I know she identifies as one but I think she could still be an ISFJ. I know a typing blog has her as one and honestly her very specific world-building seems Si-Ne.

I can see where you got that, but her writing is very Ni-Fe. She has so much symbolism and a very,very broad view of the world.

justwhelmed

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's true, I don't think a Si-dom could use that much symbolism. I think ISFJs and INFJs are the two types I have the hardest time sorting out so that was probably my mistake.