• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI and YA Novels

Willow Tree

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I read a lot of these novels a couple of years ago and was totally into them :hi:

I would go with INFP for Hazel. She's very strong in Fi as seen from the way she introspects, sometimes illogically, and reacts to insults. She hates the support group due to its lack of sincerity, and just hates what she hates in general. She enjoys An Imperial Affliction solely due to Van Houten's ability to understand her feelings.

Augustus is likely an ENTP - loads of Ne, loads of Ti to go with it and good Fe. His Fe can also be seen from his concern for recognition (and hence fear of oblivion). Good at flirting and socializing. Ni exists, but he doesn't use Se at all. Tasting the stars doesn't really count - it's more of an intuitive experience for the both of them.

-

I loved Divergent. ISTP for Tris is what I had come to agree on, but then she's very emotional and irrational. I don't think an inferior-Fe would come to care so much about others and end up sacrificing herself - especially ISTPs. She also shows great attachment to her family, though I'd still pick Se over Si. Can I say that I actually see her using Fi?

Four... I don't know. He's pretty unhealthy.

-

Can we talk about the Hunger Games? Please? I'd go with ISTP for Katniss... Ti-Se for the knack for survival, super Fe attachments for Prim, but not a lot of Si attachments (other than for significant traumatic experiences, and her father). Ni... Don't see a lot...

Peeta might be an ENFJ. Feels like a good person, is a good person for helping her in the first place. Is good with all the socializing, and quite intuitive about it. He's slightly more reserved than the average. (Ends up realizing that he's a goner! LOL)

Rue might be an ISTP. I see her as being quite logical, like Katniss, and the two click very well. She has her own sense of doing her own thing, but it is not Fi. Is a good survivor and plans to make it out of things / get away with stuff.

Some say Prim is an ESFJ, but I'm inclined to say an INFJ/ENFJ who later develops and matures. Sensitive and compassionate child, later becomes a good judge of people and a good pep-talker. Can manipulate when she wants to, but kindly so. (Catching Fire) Has a strong sense of duty, but in a future oriented way: Wants to work to become a doctor / 'The next time we see each other, we'll be free.' That's pretty Ni for me. I like her as a character, identified with her and believe (with some faith) that she's more introspective and insightful than she innocently lets on.

-

Thanks everybody! :)

P.S. IB English Literature must have gotten the better of me. I'm quoting and microanalyzing stuff, even for the MBTI...

justwhelmed

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmm. I could definitely consider Tris using Fi.... I don't know. I would probably have to re-read. She just seemed tough in a Ti way to me but Fi-doms can seem that way, I should know. Also, I've never read the hunger games! I would say you're right from the perspective of someone who's only seen the films, though! I think Prim seemed kind of INFJ-y to me. She just reminded me of some that I know.

Willow Tree

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hmmm. I could definitely consider Tris using Fi.... I don't know. I would probably have to re-read. She just seemed tough in a Ti way to me but Fi-doms can seem that way, I should know.

I was 14 when I read Divergent, and I did relate to Tris in terms of her self-consciousness and introspection. (I'm not sure if I use Fi though.) She's very into the 'I'm not a xxx person, I can't be Candor' kind of self-acknowledging, and is very fiercely loyal to her ethics. 'I am my father's daughter', and all the 'Faction before blood, eh?' to Caleb.
She's just very emotional, even compared to me - in the reckless way. The part where she killed Will, though, though she's always self-sacrificial - it might be a reflex. She's wracked with guilt after that, and I don't know if that guilt is Fi or Fe. But she also nearly killed herself because she felt too guilty in Insurgent, which might as well be an Fi-thing to do.
I can relate with her when she's cool-headed. Just not when she's reckless...

Movie Prim? :D (I've been a hardcore fan of Willow Shields, who may be an ESFP, since then.) Yes, she seems very INFJ. And I personally think Willow portrays her character quite well so we may assume the same for the books.

Cheers!

justwhelmed

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Now that I think of it, I could definitely buy Tris as a feeler... In fact, ISFP fits pretty well. Also, Willow Shields does an amazing job playing Prim honestly, especially for how young she is.

justwhelmed

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, wait, has anyone read Eleanor and Park? I read it a little while ago and I've been thinking about the characters' types...

I think Eleanor was an INFP because she seems to have that Ne unconventional-ness to her but with the Fi, unapologetic, I-am-who-I-am stubbornness. Park was harder to type... He definitely seemed introverted, but the rest is debatable. Thinking back on it, it seemed like he had Fe? I don't think he was an INFJ so maybe ISFJ?

Willow Tree

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hmm. I didn't finish the book, but Eleanor seems either INFP or ISFP.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Tris seems ISTP to me. But potentially INTP.

Fe last. Underdeveloped yet nagging.

Shes not a 5 though. Nor a 6... Fact that shes 'divergent'... Could this point to 9w8.

Is tris at all like [MENTION=12103]Poki[/MENTION]?
Perhaps.

It isnt ridiculous.

Anyways. Jkrowling... INFJ? And or ISFJ?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Tris seems ISTP to me. But potentially INTP.

Fe last. Underdeveloped yet nagging.

Shes not a 5 though. Nor a 6... Fact that shes 'divergent'... Could this point to 9w8.

Is tris at all like [MENTION=12103]Poki[/MENTION]?
Perhaps.

It isnt ridiculous.

Anyways. Jkrowling... INFJ? And or ISFJ?

If i can keep from hitting my "dont care" side i would say, atleast from movie, that i relate alot to both divergent and kill a mockingbkrd characters. I believe thay have a different enneagram which slightly tweaks response, but i do feel a kinship to them.

My negative side...i hope i never hit. I will become someone like John Wick, Wolerverine, Punisher. The scary part is i master anything i do.

Willow Tree

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I apologize. I seem to see a lot of feeling in Tris and find her irrational... but I should re-read it again - it's been ages. I'm solely talking about the books though.
JK Rowling should be INFJ. From the books I see INFP, but from her latest tweets and general behavior, INFJ.

justwhelmed

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think Tris is probably one of those Ti-doms who has Fe they can't handle at all and maybe that's why you see the F in her? I know inferior Fe can make a T seem superrr F especially in times of stress, which I mean Tris is obviously in. Also, yeah, I could buy ISFP also for Eleanor. And I always thought Rowling was ISFJ, but I could buy INFJ. She definitely has Fe.

Willow Tree

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Caleb is INxx, don't really remember him
Janine is INTP
Eric is ESTP
Tomas INTJ?
Why are all the major villians Ns?

Because it's a serious sensory book - don't know, but even as an N I was extremely into this series.
The whole series has got a bias against non reckless people, which is quite avant garde? I don't want to get warped up into the intuitive bias here because sensors can really be smart. Honestly. But this series doesn't seem to like the idea of intuitive intellectuals much and prizes YOLO and love and craze. That's creative of it - a new perspective of seeing things. I guess YA main characters have got to be reckless though. Look at all these stereotyped small, skinny and angry girls who are reckless and don't think they're pretty but are pretty. :/