• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

top gear

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Jeremy Clarkson - ENTP
James May - ISTJ
Richard (Hamster) - ENFP (Unsure about this, he might be an I, def F likely P though I wouldn't think he is an INFP more likely ISFP)

welshlass

MBTI Type
INTP
Ive been thinking about this for a little while & i came to the conclusion that James May is very probably ISTJ (bear with me cos ive only been into MBTI for a few months). Think i saw some site saying Jeremy's an ESTP but i think i'll go along with your ENTP. Not sure enough about Richard, though. Have you read any of his Daily Mirror columns online? Maybe that would shed some light?

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
No haven't read any of Richards articles. He is gray area from what I've seen, FP is all I'm really positive on.

I thought ESTP for Jeremy for ages but he shows stronger signs of being N. Can't think of any examples. His N is likely the weaker, compared to strong ET and P.

welshlass

MBTI Type
INTP
I do know from a blog from the show's producer that Jeremy goes to most publlic events with much reluctance, preferring to be with family & friends. Apparently James is a case of what you see is what you get. I'll put up a link for one of Richard's columns but no idea if they'll help.
Let's hair it for the real men - mirror.co.uk

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
James May is quite the intellectual.

Just putting that out there.

I really wouldn't have thought Richard isn't an S.

Last edited:

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Having read part of Richard Hammond's autobiography, I reached the conclusion that he is an ESFP. S is because as a child he got immense pleasure from taking things apart and putting them together again, and as a young man would spend hours (even in the freezing cold) fiddling with his car's mechanics. The man has got to be S!

P because he bends or breaks rules.
E because he's presenting a programme on TV! He shows little sign of introversion. Also presented a talk show.
F because he is driven largely by his feelings and enthusiasm for various projects

Clarkson I think is an ENTP.

May is IXTP. How many TJ males would have long hair?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I did think for a while that Clarkson was an ENTJ, not just because it peeved my father to theorise that he was the same type. ENTP sounds about right though, eh has the whole INTJ thing of not caring what you think combined with the Loser habit (a little too in your face competetive for an INTJ).

I'm not so sure about Hammond though... there seems to be another persona behind those eyes and he's a little twitchy on camera.. I'd not put it out the realms of possibility that he's an introvert.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I expect Top Gear is heavily scripted - not much spontaneity.

That said, I'd guess EXTP for Jeremy, ESXP for Richard and ISTJ seems plausible for James.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Falcarius does not watch 'Top Gea'r but from what he knows about them individually he thinks:

Richard XNFP
Jeremy ESTP
James IXTJ

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Gngh. Mistake in my last post. I meant I think Richard is an S and James is an N.

Richard: XSFP
James: INTX (I think P for some reason, despite his orderliness. INTP is the 'engineer' after all.)

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
I made a Top Gear thread months ago.

Jeremy Clarkson: ESTP
James May: ISTJ
Richard Hammond: ESFP

I don't know why anyone's guessing N, this is a show about racing supercars for chrissake. I don't really care what their types are though. Season 11 is awesome.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
The Stig does not really exist, it is the automobile equivalent of the yeti...

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
Top gear is actually LIGHTLY scripted.

Jeremy Clarkson: ENTP
Richard (Hamster); ENFP

They're entertaining, motivated, easy-going, and good at their jobs.

Epic camera work and video editing. It's simply beautiful.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Top gear is actually LIGHTLY scripted.

Jeremy Clarkson: ENTP
Richard (Hamster); ENFP

They're entertaining, motivated, easy-going, and good at their jobs.

Epic camera work and video editing. It's simply beautiful.

Yes, but Hamster may be ESFP. His autobiography says how he'd spend ages just messing with the insides of cars in his youth

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Jeremy Clarkson: ENTJ - He's clearly in charge, as he likes it, and scripts the studio bits 'pretty tightly' in his words. Fast cars are all about "POWER!!!!" to him. And has anyone read his newspaper columns? If you think his metaphors are over-extended and over-employed on the show... :D

James May: ISTP - Can't see him as a J. I think it's just the Introversion and not being competitive or high-strung that makes him seem more sedate and sensible than the others. Loves impressive machines and toy models and sets, has made several documentaries about them.

Richard Hammond: ESTP, maybe ESFP. It's all about speed and other extreme sensory experiences to him. I think I see more Ti than Fi - he really likes mechanics and science - but the nature of the shows he does might not showcase Fi. He has an ESTP kind of wit.

VagrantFarce

Jeremy Clarkson: ENTJ - He's clearly in charge, as he likes it, and scripts the studio bits 'pretty tightly' in his words. Fast cars are all about "POWER!!!!" to him. And has anyone read his newspaper columns? If you think his metaphors are over-extended and over-employed on the show... :D

But he's so utterly impractical, and admits to it! I can't imagine a Dom-Te admitting to be impractical, it would be like performing seppuku.

James May: ISTP - Can't see him as a J. I think it's just the Introversion and not being competitive or high-strung that makes him seem more sedate and sensible than the others. Loves impressive machines and toy models and sets, has made several documentaries about them.

Nah, he's ISTJ. He boasts a love for procedures, he's constantly living in the past...there's a moment when Jeremy Clarkson wanted to annoy May by moving around the numbers on his watch. May got so infuriated ("it's not supposed to be like that!") that he walked off camera. Also, what sort of ISTP would he be to get a nickname like "Captain Slow". :)

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'll look for signs the next time I watch Top Gear! It's one of my favourite programmes :D I hate cars but I love physics. I absolutely adore those "cheap car altering contests"...

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Jeremy Clarkston:

ENTP. I read one of his books and he was a salesman in rural england and liked to take random routes just to see if he could find quicker ways. He also delibratly refused to take bribes off posh weekends and fancy hotels from car companies so that he could right his own opinion so that if anyone every critised his reviews then atleast he can stand proud and say "Your an idiot i'm right" knowing that he was. Alos in his books he is very funny and very witty.

James May

I'm going to say INTP. The reason is looking at his other shows. Like his show on kool ideas and how excited he gets about things working! All the things Clarkston and Hammond do to annoy him - well he doesn't actually react that much to them. And he isn't obessed with speed or doing thing the ways things are supposed to be done. The reason everyone seems to thing ISTJ is because he likes things to be correct and doesn't care about speed much and will go into the random fact about a car. Random facts that an INTP would know and love.

Hammond

ESFP. He is clearly ESP due to his love of speed and things like motorbikes cycling in cities and from how he is always well groomed. And F well he always seems to be wanting to and having fun.