• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Famous Living NFs

meshou

MBTI Type
INXP
My point is that if he consistently in a forty minute interview
Not provided.
reveals F judgment behind his choices in life, and never T judgment, then he's a clear-cut F.
*shrug* I disagree he has never shown T judgement, nor that his judgement is clear-cut qualitative rather than quantitiative.

Which'd make sense if he's an IN_P. We aren't going to see much of his internal judging processes. They're, you know, internal.

His mild expressiveness could be as a result of a matured inferior Fe as easily as not. He's mid-forties, it'd be just the right time for that. And last, having known a few INFPs and INTPs, he seems a lot more typical to my experience of an aging INTP than an aging INFP.

But hey, feel free to be wrong. :smooch:

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Not provided.*shrug*

Argh, I forgot that YouTube took down the Inside the Actor's Studio interview and so I linked to the Letterman interview instead. Sorry about that. :blush:

I disagree he has never shown T judgement, nor that his judgement is clear-cut qualitative rather than quantitiative.

Which'd make sense if he's an IN_P. We aren't going to see much of his internal judging processes. They're, you know, internal. His mild expressiveness could be as a result of a matured inferior Fe as easily as not. He's mid-forties, it'd be just the right time for that.

Are you saying that we should expect to see his matured inferior Fe but not his primary Ti? Or are you saying that you see his Ti? If so where?

And last, having known a few INFPs and INTPs, he seems a lot more typical to my experience of an aging INTP than an aging INFP.

Personal recognition duly noted. But he reminds Brendan of the XNFJs he knows, so where does that leave us? I need arguments - e.g. distinctly INTP-like (or INFP-like, or INFJ-like) behavior in interviews.

But hey, feel free to be wrong. :smooch:

If I didn't care to be challenged, do you think I'd be asking for help composing this list? :)

I'll be posting more on JD later.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I've always thought of Depp as an IXFP. The Letterman interview, though, who but an NF would climb to up to paint over the gun on a bill-board because they didn't like being depicted holding a gun?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My initial instinct on Depp was INFJ from the start. NFs tend to emit a certain kind of warmth that I do not experience with other types (just as NTs express a certain kind of clarity but but "coolness" -- impersonality -- at some level). He also seems to lock into his roles with the certainty of a J, where P's tend to "play around with the roles" more -- and he's more enigmatic about his personal life and truly matters (tends to happen because there's a wealth under there with the Ni, but the outward expression is dominated by Fe patterns), whereas INFP exposes Ne when it interrelates and tends to be more open about itself and its thoughts, expressed through ideas.

I still think Clinton is an ESFP (he's akin to the ESFPs I know personally, and NOT akin to the ENFPs I know); but I'm tired of discussing him for the 30x time, so you can make whatever decision you'd like.

I think one flaw in trying to determine a personality by determining 'strongest function' is that we can't see clearly inside, and as people age (as Meshou pointed out), weaker functions hopefully become more developed, masking the instinctual/preferred functions.

I tend to use some of that, plus a mental "personality snapshot" that accumulates pictures of what each type generally "looks like" in real life, and then I use look-and-feel to help me make a good opening guess, which I can then hone in on. One flaw in this approach is, of course, is accumulating a full range of snapshots to begin with... so if you haven't been exposed to a particular manifestation of a type and have it in your database, you won't find a match or you might match things up elsewhere. (Such as with my initial difficulty in thinking about Ivanka Trump, who likely could be ESTJ despite not matching up to the more typical sorts I've encountered.)

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
First I have to say I didn't listen to the interview...no time right now...but I will. I have always thought Depp was an N. Definately NOT an NT and more an NFP then an NFJ. I love the roles he takes on and his quirky persona. I think he is prob I...I wouldn't be surprised if he were an INFP. Does he have any writings anywhere. I'd love to read his thoughts as opposed to listening to them.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I still think Clinton is an ESFP (he's akin to the ESFPs I know personally, and NOT akin to the ENFPs I know); but I'm tired of discussing him for the 30x time, so you can make whatever decision you'd like.

Bill Clinton an S, really? I respect your wish to not go there again, but I'd love to read what you've argued previously. I've found this post - have you written more?

*plans to get ahold of BC's biography*

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Bill Clinton an S, really? I respect your wish to not go there again, but I'd love to read what you've argued previously. I've found this post - have you written more?

*plans to get ahold of BC's biography*

Yes Bill Clinton an S. Definately. That was my OP...you can always go check out Kiersey book Presidential Temperments if you want some more insight...and of course read Bill's book..(he does have a book doesn't he?) :blush:

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes Bill Clinton an S. Definately. That was my OP...you can always go check out Kiersey book Presidential Temperments if you want some more insight...and of course read Bill's book..(he does have a book doesn't he?) :blush:

Your OP?

Regarding Keirsey and Clinton's bio, see what I wrote here.

Cerpin_Taxt

MBTI Type
INTP
First I have to say I didn't listen to the interview...no time right now...but I will. I have always thought Depp was an N. Definately NOT an NT and more an NFP then an NFJ. I love the roles he takes on and his quirky persona. I think he is prob I...I wouldn't be surprised if he were an INFP. Does he have any writings anywhere. I'd love to read his thoughts as opposed to listening to them.

DEPP IMPACT

I dont care too much for celebrity's, but i was looking for Hunter S. Thompson obituries after he died, and came across these Depp writings.

Hope they help.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
@Zhash: Try reading the posts right above yours. ;)

DEPP IMPACT

I dont care too much for celebrity's, but i was looking for Hunter S. Thompson obituries after he died, and came across these Depp writings.

Hope they help.

Thank you very much, that does help!

I'm now 99.999% sure of INFX and 80% sure of INFJ, but what say the rest of you to i.e. this text?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
@Zhash: Try reading the posts right above yours. ;)

Thank you very much, that does help!

I'm now 99.999% sure of INFX and 80% sure of INFJ, but what say the rest of you to i.e. this text?
Weird. I "fall in love" with people kind of that same way. I don't know if that means anything. Do INFPs do that too?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thank you very much, that does help! I'm now 99.999% sure of INFX and 80% sure of INFJ, but what say the rest of you to i.e. this text?

Yes, I thought Depp's personal writings were very insightful.

INFJ was my first choice, coming into this, and nothing has changed that. His writing style seems to be very FJ -- straight from the gut, self-assured, he has a good mastery of / focuses on the details of the interactions between him and others, a P tends to qualify comments a lot more, but he just plunged forward and sounds very sure of himself and making strong statements. Very personal narrative (F), very tightly structured (from the J).

Weird. I "fall in love" with people kind of that same way. I don't know if that means anything. Do INFPs do that too?

I dunno, I tend to have those reactions to people as well -- I just fall "madly in love" with them within the first few minutes of meeting them. Not in the conventional way, but I just feel so in sync with them or find something that so much resonates with me that I just feel very connected to them and extremely positive about them and inspired by them and consider them deep friends... it's like the "essence of them" is the same in some way.

The only thing odd (for being INTP) is that my eight-function test measures my Ni close in strength to my Ne.

Is there some generalization that could be made there?

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
INFJ was my first choice, coming into this, and nothing has changed that. His writing style seems to be very FJ -- straight from the gut, self-assured, he has a good mastery of / focuses on the details of the interactions between him and others, a P tends to qualify comments a lot more, but he just plunged forward and sounds very sure of himself and making strong statements. Very personal narrative (F), very tightly structured (from the J).

Once again I agree with you. His writings seem very structured to me, much more so than the INFP writings I've seen.

I wonder if any INFPs would care to comment?

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
I've been convinced Depp is INFJ for years now, and had I not been certain before, I would after reading his writings. Thanks for the links.

I could also see why the OP would type Terry Pratchett INFP, but there's no way he'd be able to twist and turn everything and dismantle and rebuild in freaky ways like he does to create humor without Ti Ne running together like a kid on too much sugar. Sure he's got a well developed Fi as well, but I'm pretty certain he's INTP (with ENTP my second guess and INFP with strong Ti my third).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I could also see why the OP would type Terry Pratchett INFP, but there's no way he'd be able to twist and turn everything and dismantle and rebuild in freaky ways like he does to create humor without Ti Ne running together like a kid on too much sugar. Sure he's got a well developed Fi as well, but I'm pretty certain he's INTP (with ENTP my second guess and INFP with strong Ti my third).

I haven't read his books for years, but that is what my guesses would be if I had to place a bet. I'd probably say something similar for Douglas Adams, but that is based solely only on my reading of Hitchhiker's Guide and not listening to or seeing him.

[Note: Now I do remember that Pratchett did get into the interpersonal communications of his characters pretty well, which INTPs sometimes have trouble writing but INFPs do not. So that's a point in favor of INFP.]

Usually INTPs seem to go in one of two basic directions: Either they write something that is very very dryly funny (even scathing), that you can't quite tell if it's supposed to be humor or not (this is mostly focus on the Ti, IMO). Sarcasm, pointed parody, whatever, to drive home the inconsistencies in something.

Or they go the other way and create something very goofy and silly, with lots of frenetic connections flying off in all directions... and everything IS connected in a way that the average person of any personality can follow (unlike Ni), even if they don't enjoy it. (This is focus on Ne.)

The former can emulate INTJ sometimes, and the latter might be mistaken as ENTP.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
I haven't read his books for years, but that is what my guesses would be if I had to place a bet. I'd probably say something similar for Douglas Adams, but that is based solely only on my reading of Hitchhiker's Guide and not listening to or seeing him.

[Note: Now I do remember that Pratchett did get into the interpersonal communications of his characters pretty well, which INTPs sometimes have trouble writing but INFPs do not. So that's a point in favor of INFP.]

Usually INTPs seem to go in one of two basic directions: Either they write something that is very very dryly funny (even scathing), that you can't quite tell if it's supposed to be humor or not (this is mostly focus on the Ti, IMO). Sarcasm, pointed parody, whatever, to drive home the inconsistencies in something.

Or they go the other way and create something very goofy and silly, with lots of frenetic connections flying off in all directions... and everything IS connected in a way that the average person of any personality can follow (unlike Ni), even if they don't enjoy it. (This is focus on Ne.)

The former can emulate INTJ sometimes, and the latter might be mistaken as ENTP.

That's exactly the thing! Pratchett goes on the ENTP streak, bombarding you with ideas and connections as the narrator one moment, and the next, he's taken the Ti approach, pointing out inconsistencies, being sarcastic/dry/pointed, often using a character's thoughts to promote this latter view.

And yes, Douglas Adams is much the same.

After having seen the video now, I see there's little chance he's ENTP. He appears very I.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
This is such bullshit. Every time someone cool shows humour, originality and evidence of being able to tie 3 thoughts together this somehow disqualifies them from being INFP?

I never disqualified myself from being INFP. :D

But Pratchett and Adams show typical examples of Ti+Ne humor setup, not Fi+Ne, so it's natural to assume they're NTPs.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is such bullshit. Every time someone cool shows humour, originality and evidence of being able to tie 3 thoughts together this somehow disqualifies them from being INFP? Well fuck that. Isabel Briggs Myer. INFuckingP.

That's sort of a misrepresentation of the scenario, isn't it? And we're only discussing Pratchett and Adams right now, not every funny and creative and intellectual person? And I specifically put in a clause that Pratchett did show some Fi in the sense he seemed to write the "personal perspectives" a bit better than than most INTPs I had seen? So why the blowup?

Let's discuss INFP vs INTP humor, especially when it comes to movie or book length projects, and see what they look like, and what tones are generally struck, and what "level" the humor happens on, and so forth.

I'm fine with that, if you'd like to justify your response. It's the only way to get to the bottom of things.

I'm having trouble of thinking of typical Fi humor books right now for comparison. I do know that, when I joke around with INFPs in person, they tend to be more good-natured and less "off the wall" than me, I will take an idea and play it out to the bitter logical end. They will laugh at what I say, because they immediately "get it," but they are invariably timid about going there until they realize they can say whatever they want around me and not worry about saying the wrong thing.

[example: When I look at Monty Python, for example, the majority of them (if not all) seem to be NTs.]