• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Fallout 4 companion types

Provecti

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Hi, I thought I'd type the various companions you can get in Fallout 4. I'd like to see what you think

Cait - ESFP: When we meet Cait, she is one of the best fighters in The Combat Zone. She has an addictive personality, taking various drugs and alcohol. She even has a side quest where you help her get over her addictions. She always talks about how she feels about things and how she feels about the player's behaviour, showing clear disgust at altruistic choices. I think this indicates dominant Extroverted Sensing (backed up by the fact what she loves to fight and always be in on the action) followed by Introverted Feeling (A personal sense of right and wrong and subjective ethics) followed by Extroverted Thinking (She's quite to the point with black and white thinking, although she still makes decisions on an emotional level) with Introverted intuition as her last function (she finds it hard to see the big picture and make forward thinking decisions)

Codsworth - ESFJ: Harder to judge as he is a robot. His main concerns are doing the right thing and taking care of the family. He always expresses his opinion that the player should do whatever he/she can to help the commonwealth but his main concern is finding Shaun; this indicates extroverted feeling as he is concerns with the emotional wellbeing of others, making it his dominant function. He also has a fixed way of doing things - during your 200 year absence he continues to do the chores around the house and is overjoyed when you return. This seems like introverted sensing, which is backed up by the fact that he always looks back in the past and gets nostalgic about the good old days, that makes Si his second function. His third function is Extroverted intuition, although mainly sticking to routines Codsworth showed his ability to adapt by using his various tools as weapons to help "Fend off bloodbugs" and what not. His last function is Introverted Thinking; Codsworth, while somewhat intelligent, rarely thinks for himself and prefers the player to order him about and tell him what to do. Codsworth doesn't care what you do or why you chose to do it, as long as it benefits either the commonwealth or the family.

Curie - INFJ: Once again harder to judge as she is a robot. In all honestly, this is the only companion I haven't met so my analysis won't be as accurate, but I have read about her and seen videos. Curie is a woman of science, with keen interest in medicine. She wants to use this knowledge and learn everything she can to help the commonwealth. This indicates that she is on the Ti-Fe spectrum. From the videos I've seen, she often talks about the future of the institute and always wants to further her understanding. When you first find her, she is continuing her research on her own rather than reminiscing about the past. She also seems to get annoyed when people have scientific knowledge and they refuse to share it, saying it could benefit the future of the commonwealth. For this reason I think she is Introverted intuition dominant, followed by Extroverted Feeling (the concern for the people) followed by Introverted Thinking, lastly Extroverted Sensation (She seems to be quite naive about the world around her).

Paladin Danse - ISTJ: Danse is the typical soldier archetype, with a strict moral code and dedication to duty. He is very loyal to the brotherhood and he firmly believes that what they do is the right thing. He also reflects upon his past experiences to makes judgments about the current situation indicating Introverted Sensing Dominant. He is also a very logical man, and his personality reflects his reliance on a cause and effect way of thinking. He also uses logic to make his decisions as a paladin suggesting Extroverted Thinking. His third function is Introverted Feeling, as I explained before; he agrees with the Brotherhood's goal of taking away technology for the greater good of humanity. His last function is Extroverted Intuition, although his is a great paladin, he is known as one of the least flexible characters/companions. He follows orders and expects others to do the same, putting his faith in the brotherhood's hierarchy.

Deacon - ENFP: Deacon is the mystery, multi faced agent of the railroad. He uses various disguises and personalities to blend into a crowd and gather information. He is thinks quickly on his feet, easily thinking up of different lies/stories/facts to better his situation, this is a clear indication of Extroverted Intuition. Deacon, is primarily concerned with the railroad and firmly believes that synths should be treated as people and cares little for the institute suggesting introverted feeling (i.e. subjective personal values). His third function is extroverted sensing; Deacon easily sees the logical thing to do, and knows how to directly go about it. His last function is Introverted Sensing, Deacon doesn't seem to be keen on staying in one place for too long, having traveled america taking up different personas. At the same time, although it is his last function, he easily remembers the information he has picked up over the years and can recall past situations with ease. Overall Deacon has developed his functions very well.

Dogmeat: He's a dog -_-

John Hancock - ENTJ: A man who recently ghoulified himself to experience a new trip from a radioactive drug. He became the mayor of Goodneighbour and has a high moral code. One aspect about Hancock which really stands out is his pragmatism and his ability to dead and direct. Although his likes doing the right thing, he isn't afraid to show who's boss. He leads by judging the situation on a logical level suggesting Extroverted Thinking dominant. Hancock is also very much a big picture man, looking out for his settlement's future. He also likes it when you ask for extra money for doing favours giving the impression of a "This ammo doesn't pay for itself" attitude indicating Introverted Intuition. Hancock is very aware of his surroundings and isn't afraid to at in the moment. He also is prone to taking various drugs suggesting Extroverted Sensing and finally his last function is Introverted Feeling. Hancock loves helping people and treating others with respect. He became the mayor is Goodneighbour to make amends for his lack of action to do the right thing in the past. I believe this indicates that he has Fi (personal values) which has developed over time (He use to struggle knowing what his values were before the present story).

Robert Macready - ISTP: Although I haven't spoken to Macready as much as the other companions, I have read a lot about him and I spoke to him a lot across my many Fallout 3 playthroughs. Macready is a lost soul. He's a man for hire who used to work for the gunners. Back when he was mayor of Little Lamplight, he punched Princess when she first tried to take power. He is a man who shoots first and asks questions later. This indicates Extroverted Sensing. At the same time, Macready has a logical, analytical mind. He analyses what's going on around him to help him understand the patterns in his environment which has helped him become the great mercenary he is today (Introverted Thinking). His third function is Introverted Intuition. Although he doesn't use it much, as he has pretty given in to despair, he still still has a good judgement on what to do and what not to do. Similarly to Hancock, he isn't afraid to ask for more money for requests. Macready is shown to be a bit socially awkward at times, and as a child he was even more socially uncalibrated. It's most likely his wife's influence which helped him develop his Extroverted Feeling. Having low Fe may also explain how he use to find being a gunner as easy, as he struggled with empathy before this function fully developed.

Nick Valentin - INFJ: Nick is a detective who can easily gather information and piece things together to find missing people from Diamond city, although it could be Ne, I believe he is using Introverted Intuition instead due to how his other functions line up. Nick is also known for his likeable personality, being the only Synth to be allowed into Diamond city due to his charisma. He also genuinely cares about helping people, and would risk his life to help anyone in need indicated Extroverted Feeling. Being a detective he also has excellent Introverted Thinking, being able to analyse the information he gathers to draw logical conclusions and to induce theories about his cases. Valentine's last function is Extroverted Sensing; Nick isn't the type of person to run into a fight however if need be he can be quick on his feet and be defend himself with ease. His extroverted Sensing also helps him be aware of his surroundings when it comes to searching for clues. Another character who has developed his functions very well.

Piper - ESTP: Out of all the companions, I have spent the most my time with Piper as I find her to be a very realistic, relatable character. Piper is a very confrontational, pushy reporter. She isn't afraid to get her hands dirty and will do whatever it takes to get a good story regardless of the consequences. I think this is due to her dominant Extroverted Sensation. Her second function is Introverted Thinking; Piper is great at analysing and speculating the events going around in the commonwealth. For example, the reason she was thrown out of Diamond City before you meet her is because she speculated that the mayor is actually a synth. Piper's third function is Extroverted Feeling - Piper is very concerned with helping people and offering a hand to those in need. Even the brotherhood of steel who have values she disagrees with - she thinks you should help the squad defend their outpost (suggesting objective morality based on the wellbeing of everyone, rather than personal values). Piper's last function is Introverted intuition. Although she is good at seeing the big picture and piecing information together, she often fails to see the consequences of her actions. For example in one of her background stories she mentioned how she informed everyone of the corruption of one company or another. When they invited her for a drink she accepted, soon to find out that they tried to poison her (lack of foresight) however thanks to her quick thinking, in the moment Extroverted Sensing, she downed a bottle of moonshine to make herself vomit and survive the poison.

Preston Garvey - ISFJ: Preston is a man who likes to take care of those in need, by building a stable, everyone looks out for each other group named the minutemen. Preston likes order, and a rigid structure to maintain a consistent working system. Although he is not a man to lead (he admits himself) he does well at making sure things go ahead like he believes they should. He is also a very nostalgic man, always looking back at the good old days of the minutemen indicating Dominant Si. Preston is very concerned with people and need (and all those settlements!) and believes everyone should care and look out for each other suggesting Extroverted Feeling. Garvey's third function is Introverted Thinking. He is able to make a logical, working structure in his head which allows the concept of the minutemen to work. Finally his last function is Extroverted intuition. Although Preston ideas about helping settlements and restarting the minutemen are noble, they are far from visionary. He has his ways of doing things and is reluctant to change.

Strong: ESXP - I don't really give anyone an X in typology, as that's more of an MBTI thing to do rather than functions. However since Strong is a super mutant I feel like he can not be analysed the same way as a human. Strong likes to smash stuff. He doesn't like walking around and always wants to be doing something suggesting Extroverted Sensation dominant. Strong's views are very conflicted however: He has strong beliefs that super mutants are better than humans and some of the things they do is wrong such as lock picking (Introverted Feeling) and he thinks that the things humans do are stupid and illogical such as healing a dog when it could be eaten instead (Extroverted Thinking). At the same time, Strong thinks humans should look out for each other and are stronger in a group, believing humans should always help their fellow man (Extroverted Feeling) and he ponders and theorises way humanity is as great as it had become, analysing their strengths and weaknesses (Introverted Thinking). For this reason, I give Strong an X; he has aspects of all the judging functions. His last function is indeed Introverted intuition, Strong fails to see the big picture and is preoccupied with smashing things. Also he fails to link things together such as the metaphor "Milk of human kindness" taking the expression literally.

X6-88: ISTP - X6 was another hard one to analyse as his mentality is clearly robotic and lacks emotions. If X6's thinking wasn't programmed in I'd say he'd be an INTJ as he see's the potential future the institute has to hold and sees the logical practicality of their plans. However since this view is only something programmed in, I believe ISTP is more accurate. X6 continuously observes and watchers the player's action and behaviours often speculating things about their character suggesting Ti. He was also built as a killing machine, being highly adaptable to his surroundings and aware of what is going on suggesting extroverted Sensation. His third function is introverted intuition, as mentioned above he see's the institute as the best hope for the commonwealth. It's hard to say how much he thinks about this, it may just be a programmed in view to help him stay loyal to the institute, but even so this is his view, so I'd say it is his third function. His last function is Extroverted Feeling; X6 does not express any emotions other than annoyance and he cares very, very little for the people around him. The only reason he cares about certain individuals is because the institute would have ordered him protect them (for example, X6 is very protective of the player seeing them as the future for the institute).

What do you think?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If Danse is an ISTJ that would explain why I'm trash for him. Although I see him more as a Te dom, ExTJ would be my guess.

~Has no further comments at this time~

Provecti

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
He could be an ESTJ rather than an ISTJ, however I typed him as an ISTJ because he seems to value the way of the brotherhood over the most logical thing to do, however it is still a call. I highly doubt he is an ENTJ, he doesn't seem to use Introverted Intuition at all - the only big picture statement we get from him is how "Taking away technology will stop future wars" but even that is something he adopted from the brotherhood rather than making that link himself. He's definitely an ?STJ.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How DARE YOU.

giphy.gif

Someone try to tell me this dog's not an ESTP

Provecti

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Ahahaha well you can't really use the functions on animals as we process world differently. By nature you could say all dogs are Se dominant (or at least aux) but because dogs don't really "think" per say, rather they associate various stimuli with certain responses. They also use social dynamics as a guide on how to behave (so I guess you could class that as extroverted feeling, but that is grasping at straws). If anything I'd say he's extroverted sensing, introverted instinct XD

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's a settlement that needs help. I've marked it on your map. They are totally helpless and you will do all of the work yourself. They also need you to build all of their defenses, plant some crops, and drag in some more beds. Sorry but I just can't help you look for your son right now.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I will bite.

Cait - ISFP

Codsworth - ESFJ

Curie - INFJ

Paladin Danse - ESTJ

Deacon - ENTP

Dogmeat - ESFP

John Hancock - ENFJ

Robert Macready - ISTP

Nick Valentine - ISFJ

Piper - ENFP

Preston Garvey - ISFJ

Strong: ESTP

X6-88: ISTJ

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Curie is just adorable. “Are you giving me a present?”

I think Nick is an INFJ. Also my favorite companion by a longshot

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ada, no one did Ada yet

I’m going to say INTP for her. Just because this game is sorely lacking in INTP characters.

As far as non companions go, Shaun/Father may be one. I know some would type him an INTJ but I think everything he does is a result of a very detached TiFe way of thinking. He uses a highly subjective system of internal logic to justify some questionable means toward what he sees as serving the greater good of humanity.

Also The Mechanist may be one. She is another good example of a well intentioned INTP unwittingly harming people due to inferior Fe blind spot. Her sorrow after learning her actions have caused harm to the commonwealth seems characteristic of inferior Fe

I wish they had made Kent Connelly a companion. He’s probably an INFP. Highly idealistic and functioning more ina behind the scenes type of role. That silver shroud storyline is great fun

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Btw I always consider Fallout 4 to be some kind of artistic and satiric representation of modern US.

The Minutemen and all the ruins are the glorious history that fades.
The institute is deep corporate state that runs the whole show from the shadow.
The brotherhood of steel is MAGA
The railroad is BLM and Berniebros

The food and water are toxic all over the place. Most places are run by crooks. Just about everyone is poor. Healthcare is limited. Guns are everywhere.
The whole things seems as the SF exaggeration of how it actually is.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Btw I always consider Fallout 4 to be some kind of artistic and satiric representation of modern US.

The food and water are toxic all over the place. Most places are run by crooks. Just about everyone is poor. Healthcare is limited. Guns are everywhere.

Or perhaps not.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I did one for New Vegas

Caesar's Legion = Alt Right and Christian Conservatives
New California Republic = Liberal Democrats
Brotherhood of Steel = Centrist Republicans
Mr House = Elon Musk
Player run Independent New Vegas = Libertarian

for the record, I prefer siding with the Minutemen or the Railroad from a purely ethical perspective. For sheer fun, I think the Institute and Brotherhood have some fun toys and quests.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And Skyrim is easy:

Stormcloaks = Right Wing ethnonationalists with a few Libertarian types in the mix
Imperials = Centrist Dems and Moderate Republicans
Aldmeri Dominion = Corporate sponsors and overlords behind the Democrats and Republicans

Basically all of them suck.