• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Les Miserables

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
Great play and a great film. Though, I haven't read the book. So if any of you have and the book isn't like the movie, feel free to correct my typing of the characters

Jean Valjean- ISFJ
Javert- ISTJ
Fantine- ESFJ
Cosette- ENFP
Marius- INFP (maybe)
Eponine- ESFJ
Thenardier- ESTP
Enjorlas-ESTJ (still my favorite character)
The Bishop- INFJ
Gavroche-ENFJ

accioflora

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Les Mis is fabulous. I went through a somewhat obsessed faze awhile ago. I started the book 1 1/2 years ago but I am still only halfway through. :newwink: Anyway, here are my thoughts:

Jean Valjean- Could be ISFJ he's a pretty complicated character though, so it's hard to tell.
Javert- I'd agree on ISTJ.
Fantine- ISFP
Cosette- INFP
Marius- INFP seems right.
Eponine- Again, it's hard for me to tell with her. (and it's been awhile)
Thenardier- ESTP sounds good.
Enjolras- ENTJ
The Bishop- I honestly don't remember. INFJ could work.
Gavroche- I'd say ENFP.
And I'd say Grantaire is another ESTP.

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
If we're going to start typing the other students, I'd say Prouvaire is either an ISFJ or INFP. For Enjorlas I'm still going to stick with ESTJ, because, yes, he has a lot of revelutionary ideals, but all of his opinions and ideas make perfect sense to him while someone with Ni just knows they're right. He's a very down-to-earth character who doesn't play bulshit games. But I can definitely see how he might seem like an ENTJ.

Fury

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Jean Valjean: ISFJ. Not really big-picture oriented. His primary goal is to take care of Cosette, which suggests Si and Fe.

Javert: ISTJ. Typical dutiful cop.

Fantine: In the musical she seems ISFJ or maybe INFP, but in the book she's definitely an ISFP. In the book Favourite (one of Fantine's friends pre-Tholomyes breakup) describes her as "amazed by the most ordinary things" - she was also very fashionable.

Cosette: INFJ? She's my favorite character, but I have a hard time figuring out her type. She could use Fe because she is attuned to other people's emotions and looks at other's expressions and acts accordingly, like how Cosette fell in love with Marius because she knew Marius fell in love with her. She comforts Marius after he returns from the barricades. The movie version of Cosette seems Fe-ish, with her hesitantly stuttering a bit in In My Life when she says "please forgive what I say" as she doesn't want to hurt Valjean, and in the reprise of Suddenly when she confides to Marius when Valjean left them. Furthermore, she could use Ni because of her just knowing that Valjean is hiding something from her. When she was a child, she was not afraid of Valjean when he helped her carry her bucket in the woods. She knew that this man was instinctively good. If she uses Ni, she also uses Ti and Se, which is reflected during The Attack on Rue Plumet where she was able to think of a story to cover for Marius and Eponine. Her solo "I Saw Him Once" that was cut seemed pretty NiFe to me as well. Then again, she could use Fi and Ne because of the song Castle on a Cloud. And the part of In My Life where she questions Valjean can also be Ne.

I'm going to have to do an in-depth analysis on her once I finish reading all her parts in the book. :p

Marius: INFP. He's very individualistic. He wants to be seen as an individual person, which is the reason why he moved out of his grandfather's house and refuses any kind of support. In the book, he has clashing ideals with the rest of the ABC but yet refuses to change them. In the musical, during the song Red and Black, Enjolras convinces him that falling in love isn't important - but Marius doesn't listen. (Fi)

Eponine: ENFP. She's so in tune with her emotions that she recognizes that she only likes the idea of being with Marius, and not Marius himself. (Fi) But even though that's pretty much bull especially since Cosette came into the picture, she still continues to support and entertain this idea. (Ne dom) Her Fi is also really unhealthy to the point where she stole letters from Marius and Cosette and she wanted Marius to come to the barricades with her in the hopes that they'd die together.

Thenardier: ENTP. He comes up with wacky rules for his inn so his customers would pay more than they should (NeTi) but he's also charismatic, so they don't really complain. (Fe)

Mme. Thenardier: ESxJ? Only reason I say this is because she recognizes Jean Valjean during the robbery. (Si) Reading her parts in the book she seemed to be more Se-ish, but also Te since she was described as ruthless, but I can't imagine her being a strong Fi/Fe user at all, so I'd say ESTP or ExTJ.

Enjolras: ENTJ. I don't really know much of his character though.

For the others, I'd say:
Gavroche: ENFP
Grantaire: ESTP?
Combeferre: INTJ?
Courfeyrac: ESFP
Prouvaire: INFP

Last edited:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Great play and a great film. Though, I haven't read the book. So if any of you have and the book isn't like the movie, feel free to correct my typing of the characters
Thanks for starting this thread. Les Miserables has long been one of my favorites. I have read the book (English translation), seen the recent movie, seen the stage play twice by two different casts, and watched the concert version several times. I find the characters mostly consistent in terms of type with a couple of exceptions in the lastest movie, which I attribute to (what I consider to be) some serious miscasting. Specifically, the adult Cosette actress comes across as a wimp/ragdoll, who simply goes around needing someone to take care of her (ISFP/J), rather than a girl living under the shadow of her early abuse, and trying to dream of a future within the very sheltered life Valjean provides (INFP). Similarly, the movie Javert lacks the remorseless edge of all the others I have seen, especially Philip Quast in the concert version. He is still ISTJ, just doesn't seem to have his heart in it. As for a list of types:

Jean Valjean- ISFP: he takes life as it comes, and people for that matter, and responds accordingly. Yes, he does make plans, as when he secures his wealth for use after he must flee his life as M. Madeleine, but then planning isn't the exclusive purvey of TJs. Everyone does it, especially when one's life and future depend on it. I also see much more Fi than Fe, and Se vs Si. He takes in the evidence of the present moment, and makes decisions about it based on his personal values.

Javert- ISTJ: obvious.

Fantine- I/ESFP: in the book, she is described as fun-loving and full of life, with no thought to consequences, or the future. Like Valjean, she reacts rather than thinking ahead. Even leaving Cosette with the Thenardiers came about by happenstance, not a deliberate plan to provide for her while Fantine found a job and saved up money. These details don't come out in the show/movie, but her depiction there isn't inconsistent with it.

Cosette- INFP: see above.

Marius- INFP (not sure about this, but can't think of anything better)

Eponine- ENFP

Thenardier- EST/FP: He seems driven much more by his emotions than his wife does, hence the prospect of F.

Mme Thenardier: ESTJ

Enjorlas-ENFJ: Think about it: the rebellion he is planning is entirely illogical, except as a massive demonstration of collective values. He is charismatic and motivational.

The Bishop- ISFJ: He lives his faith and his ideals very tangibly

Gavroche-ESTP: a miniature "action hero" almost

(It is interesting that there are few if any NT characters.)

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
I've read some good points. Here's my list of the ABC society and what types I think they are from the movie and what I've heard about what they're like in the book

Enjorlas- ESTJ (even though heard some other good alternatives and some good reasoning behind them, I'm still going to stick with ESTJ because of his action-taking, let's get this done, HOORAH sort of attitude.)
Marius- INFP (though I'm still not absolutely sure, it's the best answer I've got and no one has argued)
Grantaire- ESTP obviously
Combeferre- ENTJ (he seems to have a bigger picture than Enjorlas)
Courfeyrac- ESFJ though ENFP is possible
Prouvaire- INFP that's been settled for the most part
Joly- ESFJ
Feully- ISTJ (teaching himself everything reminds of a lot ISTJ I know)

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
These are just my guesses.

Jean Valjean: INFJ
Javert: ISTJ
Fantine: ISFJ
Cosette: INFP
Marius: ISFP
Eponine: ENFP
Gavroche: ENFP
Enjolras: ENTJ